The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
FloridaGuy

.45 Long Colt

I was at the range today shooting my Uberti Single Action Colt 1873 Cattleman. I purchased a box of Hornady 45 Colt 225 gr FTX Ammunition. I fired 6 rounds with no issue and they all ejected just fine. Loaded the next 6 and fired them with out any issues but was only able to eject 5 of the rounds. The last round would not eject.

I ended up having to take the gun apart to remove the round from the chamber. The brass case cracked and expanded to the point the it could not be ejected normally from the gun.

I have never seen this happen with factory rounds. I am wondering if anyone has any ideals why this happened?

See picture attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-07-01 17.25.31.jpg (243.8 KB, 68 views)

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old July 1, 2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Wreck-n-Crew

Wow! Is there any way the chamber alignment with the barrel could have been off when fired? Seems the cylinder may have been misaligned and the round made it out.

Have you checked for a smudged or proof of misalignment when it fired on the edge of the barrel?

Lucky that is all that split huh?

Hornady is one of my favorite manufactures of ammo when I am not reloading and never had a problem like that from them.
Old July 1, 2013, 09:31 PM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

I call that kind of case failure a "burn through." I've seen it MANY times over the years. It's most likely caused by a weak spot in the brass, most likely due to a manufacturing flaw or an impurity.

I've had it happen with both new ammo and rounds I've reloaded many, many times.

This is the first I've ever heard of it sticking hard in the cylinder, though.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 1, 2013, 09:59 PM   #4
zplinker

New brass failure

First time I ran across this, I was working up loads for a 25-06, with new W-W brass. Several rounds across the chronograph, everything looked fine, then blew a primer and had hard time opening the bolt. Had I not been chronographing, to show that this particular round was right where it should be, I'd have been doing some serious soul searching! Moral of the story: a bad piece of NEW brass. It happens.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Slamfire

Brass flaw, some sort of seam in the brass. Could have been due to something wrong in the blanking and drawing, or could have been due to irregularity in the brass.

When a brass breech develops in the unsupported case head, all hell breaks loose in the mechanism. The brass cartridge case is a gas seal, it is not a structural element, it should not carry load, it must always be supported by the mechanism, and anything that weakens the brass is bad.
Old July 2, 2013, 04:54 PM   #6
Ozzieman

How did the primer look afterward?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old July 2, 2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Hawg

I've seen it happen with brass that was weakened by corrosion.
Old July 2, 2013, 07:37 PM   #8
FloridaGuy

Ozzieman,

Everything about the cartridge looked fine except the big split down the side.

Authorized Blackhound Optics Dealer www.blackhoundoptics.com/CWFT
Old July 2, 2013, 07:45 PM   #9
Mike / Tx

Yep it happens. Over the years and many many rounds down range, I have had some brand new factory brass split similar and worse on the first firing and not using top end loads either. I simply figure it as stress induced during forming which was relieved.

Run enough rounds, through enough things, and you will eventually see a LOT of things you wished you hadn't.