The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old February 14, 2013, 12:14 AM   #1
5.56RifleGuy

Barrel Porting for an integrally supressed weapon

Ive been kicking around the idea of turning my sterling into an integrally supressed rifle. Does anyone know of anyone that does barrel porting and may be able to fabricate a supressor?
Old February 26, 2013, 11:43 AM   #2
eodinert

There is really no reason to do an 'integral'. Most integrals are designed so that any ammo will be subsonic, but it most pistol caliber 9mms, 147 grain and heavier will be subsonic without additional porting. Subsonic 115 grain is pretty pathetic, and one of the reasons you don't see SWAT teams using MP5SDs any more.

I would do a muzzle can, and move it around between different 9mm guns, if I were you (unless you're having a historic clone made). Having said that, I think Doug Melton in Arizona (SRT Arms) will make anything you want to pay for. I'm sure there are others.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
There is really no reason to do an 'integral'
Not an expert, but internal suppressors seem to run much larger with less ?bulk? as the chamber can be spread out more. Even with a size advantage they are shorter as the can doesn't stick forward. On a PCC(pistol cal carbine) it seems this would be very advantageous as most want them to be short and light. Sticking a "6-8 can off the front is a little counter productive.
Old February 26, 2013, 10:07 PM   #4
5.56RifleGuy

Im really just doing it for the cool factor. Im not really concered with velocity as much as i am sound reduction. I shoot mostly 115 grain, so i like that it will lower the velocity to subsonic. Just a fun rifle. I think the intergrally supressed design is a cool idea.

If anyone sees any MP5SD rifles a swat team wants to get rid of, Id gladly take one of those instead.

Thanks for the info.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:17 PM   #5
eodinert

In a pistol caliber, like 9mm, 5 inches of barrel will give you effective velocity. I'm not sure what porting it will do that's worthwhile. There are a lot of 9mm AR15s set up this way, and it looks like an intergral, but it's a muzzle can.

The host rifle, in the case of a Sterling would have to be an SBR, anyway...if it's not, your suppressor/barrel combo will have to be 16 inches (or the combination of the permanently affixed parts). Not so compact.

$400 in tax stamps, $1000 or more on custom suppressor, and it only works on one gun? If you're doing an L34A1/Mk.5 clone, I get it, but otherwise, not so much.

For a first time suppressor purchase, a .22 or pistol caliber muzzle can is a much better choice.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:09 PM   #6
5.56RifleGuy

"If you're doing an L34A1/Mk.5 clone, I get it, but otherwise, not so much."

Thats pretty much what im doing. Everyone has normal muzzel cans, I like different things.