The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 4, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Stringfellow

Worst Firearm Fail Ever!!!

We are not talking "kaboom" kind of fail, but it is still a fail of monumental proportions. This is just wrong on so many levels, that I don't even know where to begin....

I decided that I needed to own all of my favorite James Bond movies, so among others, I bought the Special Edition 2000 version of You Only Live Twice. The front cover of the DVD case looked normal, but I about gagged when I viewed the liner notes inside. What is wrong with this picture:

How could someone make such a mistake? The pistol wasn't even invented until ~20 years after the movie. Let alone a Hi Point or Jennings might be some of the only pistols Bond would be less likely to carry.

But it continues...

As far as I can tell, this is a CZ75, with its beveled slide, flat ribbed top, and internal guide rod. Still an anachronism for a movie made in 1967.

And finally this. Once again a Glock. But for you Bond fans, you will recognize this much older Bond from "Never Say Never Again".

We all know about Friday/Monday guns, but maybe this applies to movie art as well. I swear--it must have been "summer intern time" at MGM studios.

I haven't actually watched the movie, so I assume that these mistake were limited to the artwork. Besides, I didn't see George Lucas' name anywhere on the credits, so it is unlikely the movie was botched.

Last edited by Stringfellow; December 4, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Venom1956

Lol. That's sorta funny in a horrible way. I can just see some exec going "a guns just a gun right?"
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old December 4, 2012, 09:56 PM   #3
marine6680

Uh... wow... I... um... nope... nothing
Old December 4, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
spanishjames

And isn't he pulling the trigger to the back in both pictures?
Old December 4, 2012, 11:18 PM   #5
Winchester_73

Sure beats the hell out of a Walther pea shooter!
Old December 4, 2012, 11:19 PM   #6
Fishbed77

That makes me want to puke.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:21 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
Sure beats the hell out of a Walther pea shooter!
Whatever.

Walther PPK, 7.65 millimeter, with a delivery like a brick through a plate-glass window. The American CIA swear by them.

Old December 4, 2012, 11:23 PM   #8
Atbat82

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanishjames View Post
And isn't he pulling the trigger to the back in both pictures?
That's why I thought this thread was going to be about. Poor trigger finger discipline.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:35 PM   #9
9mm

Could be worse , lazer sight, 33 round magazine, lol the list goes on. The good part is they put some wear on that Glock.

You gots misprint, worth billionzillon dollars. Trade it in and get ammo and guns.

Old December 5, 2012, 03:35 AM   #10
edfrompa

Yes, Tarus is the best....
Old December 5, 2012, 08:10 AM   #11
mete

Artistic license ?? The funniest paperback picture I've seen was a cowboy firing a cap and ball revolver - with Cases coming out of the gun like a semiauto !!
Old December 5, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12
drail

You have to understand and accept that the people making and promoting films are absolutely convinced that you are too dumb to notice things like this.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Zhillsauditor

Quote:
You have to understand and accept that the people making and promoting films are absolutely convinced that you are too dumb to notice things like this.
No, they know that the costs of doing things right outweigh the benefit of placating the few. Modern directors using firearms in a movie have firearm experts at their side. If having a five minute scene where Johnny Hammer field strips his glock would make money, it would be in the movie.

The aim of a film is to make money, and reality always gives way to the plot and audience expectations. This is true for every technical field, not just the use of firearms.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:43 AM   #14
Gaerek

Quote:
No, they know that the costs of doing things right outweigh the benefit of placating the few. Modern directors using firearms in a movie have firearm experts at their side. If having a five minute scene where Johnny Hammer field strips his glock would make money, it would be in the movie.

The aim of a film is to make money, and reality always gives way to the plot and audience expectations. This is true for every technical field, not just the use of firearms.
This is absolutely true. Ever since Dirty Harry drew his Model 29 (actually, I'm sure it was before this even, but that movie sold a lot of 29's) guns have been a part of product placement. One of the best (worst?) examples of this recently, I think is the the remake of total recall that features the Kriss Vector and Chiappa Rhino.

I can just see people going into a gun store asking for the "Total Recall" gun. Hell, I saw a Kriss Vector for sale at a gun show last month with the movie poster behind it, with a hand written "As seen in Total Recall!" note right beside it. A gun shop tried to sell me a Rhino a couple months ago and the best thing he could say about it was it was in Total Recall.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:04 PM   #15
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
No, most of them don't know the difference either. They know what looks cool, and as Zhill pointed out, they do what's made money in the past.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:21 PM   #16
kahrguy

Top and bottom photos the pistols have a take down lever or the right side like some small fixed barrel recoil operated pistols have but does have a glockish look . Just shows ther artist is not a gun person.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:27 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting, but worst ever? I doubt it makes the top 50.
Old December 5, 2012, 01:44 PM   #18
KMAX

Quote:
I don't usually notice things like this due to the fact that most of these shows aren't interesting enough to me to notice much of anything in them. I only half watch most movies and TV programs. I don't find many interesting enough to devote my full attention to. I do occasionally catch a mistake.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 5, 2012, 02:00 PM   #19
cohoskip

I'm reading a book in which the "hero" has a silenced revolver...

NRA Life Member
Old December 5, 2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I'm reading a book in which the "hero" has a silenced revolver.
If it's an 1895 Nagant, it's feasible.
Old December 5, 2012, 02:08 PM   #21
CurlyQ.Howard

Perhaps it is merely the artist's way of saying what gun J.B. should have been using.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:30 PM   #22
KMAX

Quote:
I'm reading a book in which the "hero" has a silenced revolver...
I remember seeing those in old TV shows and movies when I was a kid. Even then I thought "What the..."

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old December 5, 2012, 04:02 PM   #23
10mm4ever

Someone also forgot to tell 007 that Blocks need to be held sideways.
Old December 5, 2012, 05:47 PM   #24
Ozzieman

You guys just don’t understand James Bond, That IS a Glock. Q invented a time machine and put it in Bonds Aston Martin DB5.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:34 PM   #25
chris in va

Quote:
I can just see people going into a gun store asking for the "Total Recall" gun. Hell, I saw a Kriss Vector for sale at a gun show last month with the movie poster behind it, with a hand written "As seen in Total Recall!" note right beside it. A gun shop tried to sell me a Rhino a couple months ago and the best thing he could say about it was it was in Total Recall.
Probably the new Total Recall.