The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old September 30, 2012, 10:58 AM   #51
drail

Charter Bulldog Pug 2.5" .44 Spl.
Old September 30, 2012, 11:02 AM   #52
iraiam

Ruger LCR .357 mag. It is quite accurate with 158 grain bullets, however shooting it can be a Little painful with 158 grain 357 SD ammo.

It's my primary CW so I tamed down the load a little, but still more than adequate to get the job done.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old September 30, 2012, 04:59 PM   #53
Deja vu

How accurate do you need to be? I have a NAA mini revolver in 22 short that I can hit pop cans with at 15 feet at about 75% accuracy, that should be good enough for self defense.

The NAA 22 shot is very small and light. It is better than harsh words for self defense... slighlty

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 1, 2012, 07:43 PM   #54
WESHOOT2

my NAA mini

But I limit my 'range work' to 5 yds.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:27 PM   #55
TAKtical

I rented an M&P shield at the range and was able to put all my shots on a paper plate at 25 yards. I was impressed because I usually dont shoot smaller guns well.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old October 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #56
oldgranpa

I enjoy shooting .25acp. Accuracy is good, recoil is minor, noise is low with my Beretta 21A, only a 2.4" overall barrel Always cycles, no malfunctions and easy to load and clean afterwards. In no way am I saying this should be for primary carry. It's my backup for my backup at home, assuming I'll never need it. But fun to have.
Anyway, I had some old gallon jugs I didn't want to throw away, so I filled them with water and shot a round of 50gr CBC FMJ to see what would happen. As expected, penetration was great, into the fourth jug for a total of 23". That's roughly equivalent to 15" gel.
Brassfetcher got 14" with a fmj in his gel test.
Pictures follow...the first jug with the hole did not burst like a .45 would do, and the bullet cut the back of the fourth jug denting the fifth jug but stayin in jug four. Tops did blow off jug 2 and 3.
The old Cooper joke about someone getting mad if you shot them with a .25 is funny, but I sure wouldn't want to get shot with it. It wouldn't be nice up close in the eyeball.
Did note the CBC ammo was dirty with only one round shot but MagTech ammo is always noted to be dirty.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jugs for .25 test.JPG (77.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg jug four with .25 fmj.JPG (34.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg jug one entry hole.JPG (92.1 KB, 15 views)
Old October 18, 2012, 09:08 AM   #57
camsdaddy

I went the other day with all off my handguns that I shoot from time to time. I had a friend initiate some drills to help me decide what to carry. Of course I sorta wanted my 642 to win because its so easy to carry. When it was narrowed to two my Glock 19 and my 3" k frame were left standing. I shot the FBI a course from 3-25 yards. When all was said and done i qualified with both but my 13 was the clear winner. I'm sure most of them at 10 yards would have been cake but my 13 was a laser. I will continue to look for something smaller that I shoot as well but currently waiting on new leather.
Old October 18, 2012, 10:31 AM   #58
hounddawg

Walther PPS 9mm. Could not believe how accurate that little sucker was first time I took it to the range
Old October 18, 2012, 10:42 AM   #59
Tactical Jackalope

Glock 19
Old October 19, 2012, 01:03 PM   #60
bikerbill

Light and small; that would be my NAA Pug ... one-inch barrel, .22WMR ... It took a bit of practice, since the grip is pretty small, but I can now punch holes in the 8-10 rings consistently at 7 yards .. just takes a tight grip and the training to use the sights ...
Old October 19, 2012, 03:09 PM   #61
Rembrandt

9mm Boberg XR9-S.....a remarkable piece of engineering.

Last edited by Rembrandt; October 19, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old October 19, 2012, 04:17 PM   #62
MLeake

I shoot about equally well with a S&W 442 and a Kahr MK9; I shoot somewhat better with a Walther PPS. While the PPS is very concealable, it isn't as concealable as the 442 or MK9.

Note that since I consider these to be BUG type guns, mostly, I do most of my practice shooting with them weak-hand. (My main pistol is set up for strong hand, although I will practice with all guns weak-hand to some extent; but I carry the small guns typically pocket or IWB weak side, so I mostly shoot one-handed weak when those come out at the range.)
Old October 19, 2012, 05:57 PM   #63
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake View Post
I shoot about equally well with a S&W 442 and a Kahr MK9; I shoot somewhat better with a Walther PPS. While the PPS is very concealable, it isn't as concealable as the 442 or MK9.

Note that since I consider these to be BUG type guns, mostly, I do most of my practice shooting with them weak-hand. (My main pistol is set up for strong hand, although I will practice with all guns weak-hand to some extent; but I carry the small guns typically pocket or IWB weak side, so I mostly shoot one-handed weak when those come out at the range.)
Hey there! Long time no chat lol

What's your main CCW again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 19, 2012, 06:53 PM   #64
MLeake

Main carry varies.

It is typically either a Les Baer UTC that has been slightly touched up by Bob Hunter, or (lately) a CZ P01, tuned by Matt Mink. If you can get either of these gentlemen to work on a gun for you, you should be pleased with the results.

Bob is modifying one of his Commander pistols for me, while I'm overseas. You can see it on his website. Blued slide over hard chrome frame, magwell, built on a Caspian setup. He's changing out the safety for a mil-spec, and putting in a Novak gold bead front sight, both at my request.

I'm adding a set of Ryan's black rayskin with silver diamond spine grips from thefinergrain.com to it, when I get home.

Can you tell I like 1911s? (and also Bob's work?) I also like CZs. Before I left on my current trip to the sandbox, I was doing a lot of experimenting with shooting from the draw, shooting one-handed, and shooting from unusual positions (for example, weak-handed unsupported while standing on one foot and leaning to the side) to try and determine which type works most instinctively for me. (They all work for me, from a standard stance and at a controlled rate of fire...) So far, it was kind of a wash. I can't really go wrong with either a 1911 or a CZ75 variant. (Or, for that matter, a K frame.)

But on the small gun side, having owned both, I prefer the MK9 over the PM9 for actual shooting, especially using unsupported weak hand. Yes, the MK is heavier; yes, the MK is probably too heavy for pocket carry. However, I carry a gun because I may conceivably have to use the gun, so for me shootability counts.

Last edited by MLeake; October 19, 2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old October 20, 2012, 03:12 AM   #65
Tactical Jackalope

O_O nice nice nice! ^^^^

Bob's going to work on my 70 series Colt 1911 actually. Sent it up to him. I wanted to completely customize everything on the gun to my liking. Still do. But it's just a bad timing thing with the accident and all that. So may just have him tune the extractor and do other reliability work. However if you remember my 70 series thread...remember that grip safety it had on? Insane. May go for his custom GI style grip safety that's swept up.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Old October 20, 2012, 03:25 AM   #66
dvcrsn

My Keltec P11 and Security Six with a 2.75 inch barrel are accurate--but that snub 357 is a flame thrower
Old October 20, 2012, 06:57 AM   #67
Tinner666

Smallest would have to be a Taurus PT22 copy of the Beretta. Silky smooth, natural pointer. Got stolen when my truck was broken into a few years ago.

We've convinced the city that some areas shouldn't be CCW free for this reason.

City park rule sign. Sorry for the shaky phone pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Park Rules.jpg (104.0 KB, 12 views)
Old October 20, 2012, 10:10 AM   #68
Lost River

I look at it from this perspective:

What guns am I willing to get into a gunfight with?

Generally speaking those are not little mouse guns. The smallest I am willing to go is a Smith 442 J frame, and that very rarely is a primary arm. Usually it is a BUG for work. Normally the smallest I am willing to go and that I shoot well is a Glock 26 9mm.

That being said, I have found that it is an extremely rare situation that a Glock 26 can be carried, that a Glock 19 cannot. So, for the majority of my needs, a Glock 19 is the smallest day to day tool that I shoot very well and I am willing to duke it out with X amount of adversaries with.

While the G26 and 442 make great BUGs, the G19 is the choice when the chips are down and I need to makee hits fast under stress.
Old October 20, 2012, 08:36 PM   #69
k_dawg

I think it is mostly the issue of the triggers on very small firearms. They often are horrendeous and that makes it very hard to hold on target.

My Beretta 3032 with a fluff-n-buff is very accurate in single-action mode. I can shoot it far better than in double-action mode.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp