The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 16, 2011, 07:35 PM   #1
Vermonter

Brand New Ruger LC9 Review And Report

Brought this home yesterday. Was able to go to the range today. I will break this into a few categories so as to be as clear as possible.

As always Ruger is a little light on the packaging. Nothing but a nylon case comes with this firearm and a box with warranty info etc. The gun comes with one 7 round mag giving the gun a total capacity of eight. There is a pinkeye extension as well as a flush magazine adapter.

As always with Ruger the fit and finish of the firearm is top notch. I have never recieved a new in box Ruger product that had a hiccup and this is no exception.

Section One Accuracy.....

I shot 100 rounds of American Egale 115gr FMJ. Shooting was done in 8 round Mag sets with spare change left for the end. I shoot at 8" round circles from varying distances. I never had a mag that completely missed and the worst mag was the first one I shot through. The average shot distance was 7 yards and some movement and other drills were mixed in towards the end.

84/100 rounds hit the 8" circle giving me an 84% success rate. I will say that most "misses" were under a quarter inch outside the circle. I will take it for the first time ever shooting the gun. The trigger will shoot in better eventually as my LCP did. This gun feels almost identical to the LCP did as the trigger goes. My LCP had an acceptable trigger pull after about 500 rounds and now it is one of my more accurate guns.

Section Two Durability/ Quality/ Reliability

Its a Ruger after all. Zero failures of any kind. Zero hiccups, zero light strikes, zero "well we can chalk that up to bad ammo". Simply put there are no issues with this little gun whatsoever.

Section Three Overall Impression

As a left handed shooter the safety did not bother me a bit. Frankly I would simply leave it off and I am able to check its status while coming to a full draw so it is of no concern to me. Frankly it is a plus at the range. I was alone today but had it not been the more safety the better. The loaded when up indicator is intriguing and does not bother me a bit. Again safety at the range and did not affect me negatively in the least. I could not even remotely see it in my sight picture while firing.

My every day carry gun is currently an LCP no matter what the dress code so this little 9 will be able to replace that 70% of the time. The only time I will have to stick to LCP is when I have to go full on business attire.

Overall This gun Gets 5 Stars in my book because I am sure the break in for the trigger will go similarly to that of LCP

Regards, Vermonter

P.S. Pics in a reply to follow.
Old September 16, 2011, 07:40 PM   #2
Vermonter

Pictures.

These are just five of the 13 Targets that were shot. A lot of good orange circles lost their lives today lol.
Old September 16, 2011, 08:52 PM   #3
Vermonter

forgot to mention

Plan to conceal in a desantis mini scabbord left handed holster. One of the few i could find in a left handed belt holster.
Old September 16, 2011, 10:44 PM   #4
checkmyswag

love the idea/design

hate how it fits in my hand

glad it works for many people though
Old September 16, 2011, 10:52 PM   #5
Vermonter

hand fit

Fits very well for me. Sorry to hear its a bad grip for you. Did you try the pinkey extension?
Old September 16, 2011, 11:34 PM   #6
BrittB

I like mine a lot. I still want a LCP as a BUG but it will have to wait. I do miss the old Glock 17 Gen 3 though but it was much harder to hide. I had to sell it to get the LC9.
Old September 17, 2011, 09:46 AM   #7
Vermonter

Easy to hide

I agree this will be easy to conceal however I have not tried yet. I have ordered a desantis mini scabbard for it so that should hide it well.
Old September 17, 2011, 01:50 PM   #8
Vermonter

wow

+ 1 For Desantis. My holster came within a day of the order. I did not even pick rush delivery. The holster is amazing i am wearing it now. I am going to be able to conceal a 9mm with an additional round over and above my Lcp. This gets better and better going to shoot more today.
Old September 17, 2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Marquezj16

Congrats on your LC9. I bought mine not too long ago either. I traded a PK380 for it. While I loved the PK380, it was just harder to CC due to square edges printing. With the LC9, it's much easier to carry.

Where did you order the desantis from? Is it a IWB or OWB holster?
Old September 17, 2011, 07:06 PM   #10
Vermonter

the desantis

It is an owb mini scabbord. Wore it for the afternoon and evening. It dissapears under an untucked shirt alone and with a vest or jacket it is invisable. It is a comfortable gun holster combo and will come with me alot.

Edit: i got the holster from desantis online and one day turnaround was incredible with standard ground shipping.

Last edited by Vermonter; September 17, 2011 at 07:08 PM. Reason: forgot
Old September 17, 2011, 07:08 PM   #11
BrittB

Do you have a picture of it?
Old September 17, 2011, 07:51 PM   #12
Vermonter

holster pics

I will post some tomorrow. If you look on their sight and do a search for the lc9 you will find it.
Old September 17, 2011, 07:54 PM   #13
kristop64089

Glad you like it.

I had a chance to shoot one, and it wasn't for me. The trigger is LOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGG and to heavy. Plus I don't care for all the safeties.

It appears you shoot it well, and it just show that it's different strokes for different folks.
Old September 17, 2011, 08:02 PM   #14
Vermonter

Trigger

You are correct about the trigger but it will smooth out just like LCP did. Thank you for the compliment.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:47 PM   #15
Vermonter

Holster Pictures For Britt

Range report from today to follow.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:54 PM   #16
Vermonter

Range Report #2

Today I took the better half to the range with me. I shot from distances everywhere 20 yards on in to seven. Not a damm round missed the 8 ring of the shoot n c not a single round out of 108!!!

This gun is just coming together for me. The last 8 were federal personal defense carry ammo in 115 gr. Those 8 Shots produced this group. All eight of them in the same 3/4" hole it was an awesome feeling.

Here are a few more targets while were at it.

Old September 18, 2011, 05:03 PM   #17
kristop64089

Nice grouping. I am still intrigued with the LC9, as I'd like one to store on my motorcycle.
My LGS is getting rid of his Rugers at rock bottom prices, and I have a chance to get one for $389+ tax. I may check in on the LC9, despite all my issues with it.
Old September 18, 2011, 05:17 PM   #18
Vermonter

rock bottom prices eh

How far a drive is that at this point i havent met a ruger i didnt like.
Old September 18, 2011, 06:08 PM   #19
TLeo

I had a chance to make a quick trip to my range this afternoon with my new LC9. Even with the long trigger pull that some don't like....I loved the way it shot and it ran flawlessly. This is the first compact other than the sig 232 that I found would fit my big hands and I was really surprised that it did. (but I am using the finger extension on the mag) This little pistol is going to be my carry weapon from now on.
Old September 18, 2011, 06:22 PM   #20
Vermonter

Tleo

We should keep in touch while we progress with these things. Nice shooting sir. I have been using the flush mag which works ok for me. Have you picked a holster yet?
Old September 18, 2011, 06:25 PM   #21
Sparks1957

Thanks for the report.

another Vermonter
Old September 18, 2011, 06:34 PM   #22
TLeo

I haven't had a chance to get a holster yet. Probably going to get a pocket holster as well as some other and try both to see what works best for me. I like the looks of the Desantis IWB so may try it.
I shot all my rounds from 5, 10 and 15 yards with Remington UMC and Ranger sxt. When I get used to the trigger I'll move it out farther.
Old September 18, 2011, 06:36 PM   #23
Vermonter

sparks

We should shoot together sometime.

Tleo the desantis gets a vote from me.
Old September 18, 2011, 07:19 PM   #24
Marquezj16

My first range trip with my LC9

Quote:
Took it out for a quick function check. I used 4 different types of ammo (Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics FMJ, Hornady Steel Match HAP, Hornady Custom Ammo XTP, and Winchester SXZ 9). It had zero malfunction. Most accurate with Winchester (2" 5 shot group, standing unsupported, 7 yards ). Trigger was like the double action from my 92 FS, but it's smooth. It's snappy but I managed to shoot good groups.
Next time, I'll take pictures.

@Vermonter - thanks for the holster info. It's probably my next purchase along with an extra mag from Midway.
Old September 18, 2011, 07:33 PM   #25
Vermonter

I am really getting into this gun

Will probably shoot another hundred through it tomorrow. The holster really is nice and now i want something similar for other guns. I havent heard anyone say anything bad about the lc9.