The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 4, 2010, 03:35 PM   #1
cgbills

Deer Jerky need to cook first?

Was doing some research on making deer jerky and ran across this

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/Fact_Sheets...fety/index.asp

Basically the USDA says that the meat needs to be heated up to 160 degrees before dehydrating at 130-140. Do you all do this? It does not seem like it would take that long to do if you did it when it was sliced thin. I guess I would just marinate it, put it in the oven to 160 and once the meat reads 160 with a thermometer, start the dehydration process. What are your thoughts/input on this? I have not made jerky before and this will be my first attempt. Also how long will you all keep your jerky for? The USDA sight says 1-2 months, but I think it will keep much longer if I put it in vacuum sealed bags. Also I had the thought of making jerky out of some of the meet and freezing the rest. When my jerky runs out, defrost the frozen meet and make into jerky. This way you can have jerky year round.

Last edited by cgbills; October 4, 2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old October 4, 2010, 03:44 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

I do mine 8 lbs at a time in the dehydrator for 11 hours on 165 degrees... I dont heat it any other way... but I use venison burger..not sliced meat.
Old October 4, 2010, 04:01 PM   #3
grubbylabs

I use sliced meat strips and just put it on the dehydrator. And leave it there till its as dry as I want it. I put most of it back in the freezer till use it.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old October 4, 2010, 05:25 PM   #4
publius

i just put raw strips on the dehydrator and have never had problems.
Old October 4, 2010, 05:42 PM   #5
troy_mclure

used to hang strips in the oven on its lowest setting with the door cracked.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old October 4, 2010, 05:42 PM   #6
bswiv

We eat fish raw all the time. Oysters too......

Kibbie, a Mid-East treat, is raw meat.

Cured meats are often never heated. The salt, nitrates or other cuering agents render the meat safe to eat.

Drying also renders meat very resistant to spoilage.

I would not hesitate a moment to eat raw a piece of venison from a deer I had harvested and cleaned myself in the last few days. Maybe not so with one I knew not the handling of but certianly my own.

As for jerkey.........

If you've used the proper cuering agents and if you've started with good quality product and if you accomplish the drying in a timely manner the actual temperature is not all that critical.

You've got to remember when the "Nanny State" writes a regulation or a recomendation it is aimed at the LOWEST COMMON DENOMINATOR.

Do more research......especially on European web sites as to the art of preserving uncooked meats. You will be surprised what you will find.......
Old October 4, 2010, 05:53 PM   #7
Cowboy_mo

When I made jerky, I sliced it thin, marinated it in the soy sauce, etc recipe a friend gave me for 24 hours, hung it on the racks in the oven, set the oven to the lowest temp and dried it for 4 hours.

We kept it refrigerated for months & months. Well until everyone ate it which was usually only about a month
Old October 4, 2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I put raw strips in the dehydrator and go and haven't had any problems. I usually don't let my jerky sit around for more than a month however once its done.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:27 PM   #9
DiscoRacing

Quote:
I usually don't let my jerky sit around for more than a month however once its done.
With the three kids we have.... ours is lucky to last a week... usually much less than that.
Old October 4, 2010, 06:49 PM   #10
mete

The heat is used to kill possible nasties in the meat !! It's a smart safety precaution !!
Old October 4, 2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Deerhunter

I just marinate my slices of venison in liquid smoke and some other stuff. I then lay it on the racks in my dehydrator (one with a fan in it is the best). I then rotate the racks and take pieces off as they get done. Never had a problem. As far as storing it goes....I have no idea cause it never lasts that long around here.
Old October 5, 2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Daryl

Jerky is dried, raw red meat.

If you cook it in any way, it's not jerky.

Low level heat speeds up the drying process, but should not be hot enough to actually cook it.

Daryl
Old October 5, 2010, 07:59 AM   #13
reloader28

I agree with Daryl. It is dried, raw meat.
We squirt out 10lbs of hamburger strips in the dehydrator and in 5 1/2 hours at 155 degrees we got jerky. In my Excaliber, 6 hours is like cardboard. We usually zip-loc some for fast eating and then vac-seal some for storage. In the freezer it lasts a loooong time.

Last edited by reloader28; October 5, 2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old October 5, 2010, 08:16 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Jerkey that has taken a trip through a dehydrator is cooked. No getting around that, and I don't much care for it.

I use non-fiberglass pleated furnace filters.

I lay the strips of drained jerkey in the grooves and stack another filter on top of that and repeat until I get a layer about 4 filters deep (3 will have meat on them).

Then I bungee the entire thing to a powerful box fan and turn it on high. It stays on high for anywhere from 18 to 24 hours, depending on temperature and ambient humidity.

While the salt, sugar, and spices are the long-term preservatives, I do refrigerate what I'm going to use within a week or two and freeze everything else just to be sure.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 5, 2010, 10:57 AM   #15
Daryl

This thread is making me hungry for jerky.

I have 5 lbs of buffalo meat that was cut on processing just for this purpose. I started with 20-30 lbs, and still have the last 5 lb package.

Might just have to take it out in the next few days, season it, and then dry it.

Mighty good stuff!

Daryl
Old October 5, 2010, 11:26 AM   #16
Rifleman1776

Enuf said. But that never stopped me from adding my opinion and experience.

I do not cook my jerky. Only marinate, hang from rack in oven at low temp, leave door open a little bit to allow moisture to escape. Be sure to line bottom of oven or wife will get on you.
Jerking is a curing process. Originally, meat was simply hung in sun to dry. Safe to eat as has been done since beginning of time.
Old October 5, 2010, 12:04 PM   #17
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

The jerky I like best is made from ground game meat.

Not stringy, not tough, just good!

And the info does call for it to be be brought up to a certain temp before finishing.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
Old October 5, 2010, 12:21 PM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I am sure that my being raised with the "IRON GUT" fortification has a large role in my not being a "sicky" but I have had all sorts of jerky from air dried with no heat to cooked... The air dried is by far the best tasting to me.

If your jaw muscles don't get a work out it is likely "chopped and formed" from ground meat... Me? I like mine from sliced meat.

Brent
Old October 5, 2010, 04:59 PM   #19
markj

Indians used racks with small smoky fires and sunlite to dry their jerky.
Old October 6, 2010, 12:26 AM   #20
sc928porsche

Nope, I dont pre cook my deer jerky, but I do wash my hands before handling it.
Old October 6, 2010, 10:11 AM   #21
Pahoo

Quote:
Indians used racks with small smoky fires and sunlite to dry their jerky.
Thanks for finally bringing that in as I have always use Apple or Hickory wood-smoke. I do mine in a large Weber, small pile of charcoal and wood chips on one end. I have two marinades one uses the soy sauce base and my cheapy is brine, sugar and salt. Takes me a good part of a day to do one venison ham. Strips cut into 1/4" thicknesss. I usually put mine in the freezer but with enough smoke and salt, it keeps for a long time, in your hunting vest.
I also do Spring Bullheads this way to take on daily fishing trips.

Have any of you ever made Pemmican? I have and it's great stuff on a hunting trip.

Be Safe !!!
Old October 6, 2010, 10:31 AM   #22
spclPatrolGroup

If you cure it or if it is maranated in a salty solution, chances are the salt will keep it from spoiling along with the lack of mosture that most bacteria requires.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:10 PM   #23
retiredcoasty

I normally run a batch of 15 pounds. I cut the venison into strips, coat them with the seasoning, stick it all into a couple large Ziploc bags and let it sit at least overnight. I set the dehydrator at right around 160 and let it work for 12 hours. When done, I bag a bunch for hunting camp. The gang there has grown to expect it!

I no longer use liquid jerky seasonings. I use a glandular/powder because it seems to be less messy than the using the liquid.

I need to get a vacuum sealer because the one I have sucks everything so tightly that the jerky pierces the bag. Never buy a cheap vacuum sealer.
Old October 7, 2010, 06:34 PM   #24
jammin1237

do yourself a favor, brine cure your meat then spice,smoke, dry, or cook as you wish... botulism is a nasty spore(not a bacteria) that will take you or your children out and grows readily on meat at 40-140 degrees in a non oxygen environment, curing meat prevents this from happening...

using Morton Tender Quick is the easiest...http://www.mortonsalt.com/products/m...nderquick.html

follow the directions and keep it safe...

cheers
Old October 7, 2010, 08:58 PM   #25
Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

I hear you folks talk'in about slicing up all the great eat'in deer meat, and that is probably one of the reasons I like ground meat jerky.

I hate to waste great eat'in when first rate jerky can be made of ground meat!

Second, I don't like stringy hard to chew jerky so the ground meat jerky solves both problems.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot