The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 2, 2008, 10:32 PM   #1
NBS2005

Set up to run 100 rounds of 38 special in 30 minutes

OK, 9mm is out 'cause I want a revolver with a 6 inch barrel for target shooting and the don't make them. To save money I want to look at reloading.

I would be shooting 38 special only. I'm interested in target loads for accuracy out to 50 meters (about 55 yards). I want to do this for less than $0.19 a round you can buy 9mm from Wallys for. I can invest a couple of hundred in reloading equipment.

Where do I start?

FYI, I'm a chemist with about 20 years experience. I can be very careful and accurate (I've worked with stuff that can kill you quick). I wanted to stay away from reloading for exactly that reason, to much like work. But economics are giving me no alternatives for as much as I would like to shoot. And it sounds like some of the automated systems can run pretty smoothly with little involvement from the operator (once the machine is accurately loaded).

Thanks, as always.
Old October 2, 2008, 10:50 PM   #2
Smaug

It seems like you've got an eye towards safety, but when you're starting out, you want to forget all about speed. Take your time and make sure everything is right.

The safest way to reload is single stage, which is also the slowest. I load 100 rounds in about 2 hours, but it doesn't bother me at all. I'm having fun, and I can vistually inspect each case to make sure everything is right before seating bullets. For depriming & sizing, I do that while I'm watching TV, so I don't know if that counts.

Later, you can move to a progressive setup that will do the quantity stuff.

Reloaders usually like revolvers better, so we don't have to chase brass or load them hot enough to cycle the action.

For a nice $200 set-up that has some flexibility, look at the Lee Turret press kits. They can be used single stage when you're starting out, and go to semi-progressive later.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old October 2, 2008, 11:04 PM   #3
D. Manley

You can easily do the volume you mention with a little Lee Classic turret setup. It nicely fills the gap between a single stage and a fully progressive press which while very nice, does exceed your stated volume requirements. I've relegated my LCT to special purpose chores only but when actually loading on it, I could easily churn out 200 plus per hour. The down side (if there is one) is, you still have to pull the handle 4 times per round.

On the other hand, if you can see your volume going up and you are only going to load handgun rounds, the Dillon SDB is a vastly underated press. Mine runs flawlessly and working slowly & methodically I can churn out 300 or so per hour...over 400 if I push it.
Old October 2, 2008, 11:36 PM   #4
zxcvbob

A C&H model 444 or Pistol Champ can load 100 rounds in a half hour even without a primer feeder. They are kind of expensive, but used ones are available occasionally on eBay (that's where I got mine; it's an older model with 3 stations instead of 4.)

I also have a Hornady progressive press and I'm fixin' to fire it up tonight to load some .38 Specials. But I still use the C&H press a lot too. It's more enjoyable than a progressive press -- until you try to load 200/hr with it. Slow down a little and it's relaxing and still pretty quick.
Old October 3, 2008, 01:25 AM   #5
glockopop

Dillon Square Deal B. The best value in reloading. I've used Lee products, and they do work well, however I've found that the major difference between Lee and Dillon is that adjustments have to be checked frequently and maintained on Lee presses and with the Dillon it's "set and forget it". The people I've known who've used Lee presses for years and love them all are "tinkerers", who like to mess with stuff. I don't like to mess with stuff, so Dillon works better for me.

I've had my Square Deal B for about a year, I bought it used here on the forum from evan1293, who incidentally has one for sale in the classifieds right now. I've loaded close to 3000 rounds on it so far, and the only time I've had to change any adjustments is when I switched to a different bullet. Everything else, OAL, charge weight, crimp, has stayed exactly the same with no tweaking. I can knock out 100 rounds in about 30 without trying to go fast. If I was going for speed (which I never will) I could probably cut that time in half. Loading on a single stage RockChucker is excruciatingly slow now.

Best of all, you get Dillon's lifetime warranty. It is really, truly, no questions asked. There was a bracket that broke off in the box when Evan shipped it to me, I called them and had a new one in 48 hours. Can't beat that with a stick.

It's a little spendy, but it paid for itself in a little less than 6 months in the money I saved over factory ammo.
Old October 3, 2008, 08:04 AM   #6
kraigwy

I disagree that the single stage system is safer, or that it is more accurate then progressive IN PISTOLS.

You have too many individual stages. Too many changes for human error.

I use the old Dillon RL 1000, that came out in the middle 70s. It has several stages. Deprimes & Sizes, Swedges the primer pocket (great for mil. brass). Next stage Seats the prime and bells the case. Then primes. Seats the bullet, Crimps the bullet and using the Lee Factory Crimp again resized the case (taking out any wrinkles the seating process leaves in. This machine auto indexes, its impossable to get a double charge, you try to, you will end up trying to seat another primer, jamming up the whole process. When the primer tube is empty, it stops the machine. This machine uses a slide bar type powder messure which is more accurate then the rotary RCBS. I can put out more accurate rounds then I can with a single stage and a heck of a lot faster. It was advertise to produce 1800 rds per hour. In reality, I can put out about 1200 in pistol and rifles between 400-600 depending on the round. The way I shoot I'd spend 24/7 at a single stage press.

Depend on the round, it takes about 20 min to change cal. But it takes dern near that much time to set up a single stage press. Granted this is more of a comerical press, but a good comformise is the Dillon 650.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 3, 2008, 08:39 AM   #7
CrustyFN

I agree with the Lee classic turret press. I load 9mm, 38/357, 45 auto and 223 on mine. I can load 200 per hour at a comfortable pace. It has a great priming system and is a very solid press. It is very easy for a beginner to setup and use. You can load as slow as you want and when you need more can load around 200 per hour. I have had my press for two years and it hasn't let me down yet. I shoot IDPA, GSSF and fun matches at a club I joined and am very happy with the ammo that is produced. Here is a picture of my setup.

Rusty
Old October 3, 2008, 01:07 PM   #8
lee n. field

Quote:
I would be shooting 38 special only. I'm interested in target loads for accuracy out to 50 meters (about 55 yards). I want to do this for less than $0.19 a round you can buy 9mm from Wallys for. I can invest a couple of hundred in reloading equipment.
Lee Classic Turret press, with their powder measure and primer addons is about all you're going to get into in that price range, that will give you that kind of speed.

You can get a Lee Pro 1000 (and I have and use one myself) progressive press, but that can be finickey in a way that a new reloader might not have the patience to deal with.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 3, 2008, 01:38 PM   #9
Alleykat

Dillon Square Deal B, absolutely!
Old October 3, 2008, 02:28 PM   #10
Jart

I got a Square Deal B as a first press to do nothing other than run piles of .45 Colt. It comes mostly set-up so I found it noobie friendly.

If you wind up wanting more there's single stages for prototyping and various progressives that are far more flexible and don't use oddball dies.

But it's hard to beat for blasting off copious quantities of one handgun round. It won't tie you to Dillon so you can still participate in the color wars later on should you so elect. It's rather unique having pre-adjusted dies - everything else, including other Dillons, will require more tinkering to get running.
Old October 3, 2008, 02:35 PM   #11
zxcvbob

Just one thing to be aware of with the SDB, it takes nonstandard dies. So if you already have a bunch of dies you can't use them, or if you also like to tinker at a single-stage press, you'll need to buy additional dies for that. Also, I don't think it will load rifle ammo, except *maybe* .223 Rem.

For someone just starting out, that wants to load *lots* of pistol ammo quickly, a Dillon SDB is probably perfect. Then any good single-stage press and dies for rifle and weird handgun cartridges.

I had a bunch of dies already when I started looking for a progressive press, so the nonstandard dies disqualified the Square Deal for me.
Old October 3, 2008, 02:38 PM   #12
wingman

I've reloaded 35+years on turret presses, load perhaps 400-500 rounds per month, I currently load mostly using a Lee Classic turret once setup its consistent and fast,nice thing is you can load manual or turret turns with each stroke of the press but for the average reloader the turret press is the way to go.
Old October 3, 2008, 06:23 PM   #13
Shoney

Well! I’m going to “tipi-toe” into this Dillon minefield of big steaming piles of Runny Cow Flop (RCF). Gotta call it RCF cuz Dillon “has no BS”.

I started loading in 1960, own a Dillon 550, a Hornady LNL AP, and two single stage presses. The idea that the SDB is a best value in reloading is absurd. The SDB is a good machine, the IDEA that it is a good value is like a picture of a white chicken running wildly around our minefield after taking a direct hit of RCF.

Limitations of the SDB:
1. you must use Dillon$ expen$ive die$;
2. you can only use Dillon$ old tech powder mea$ure;
3. you can only load pistol cartridges;
4. you pay ob$ceenly high price$ for Dillon a$$e$orie$
If you buy the press and the quick changeover kits for 3 additional caliber conversion (loading 4 different cartridges that require different shell plates); your costs are:
$340 - - SDB Press ready to load
$270 - - 3 SDB Quick Changeover $90 (Includes Powder Measure with Toolhead)
$231 - - 3 SDB Caliber conversion $77 (Incl.: Dies, Shellplate, Powder Funnel, Locator Buttons)
$841 Total

The best value on the market IMNSHO is the Lee Classic Turret Kit from $163 to $185 depending on options. Everything you need to load quality ammo at a rate reported to be at or near 250/hr by members of this forum.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old October 3, 2008, 08:30 PM   #14
Alleykat

Quote:
Well! I’m going to “tipi-toe” into this Dillon minefield of big steaming piles of Runny Cow Flop (RCF). Gotta call it RCF cuz Dillon “has no BS”.

I started loading in 1960, own a Dillon 550, a Hornady LNL AP, and two single stage presses. The idea that the SDB is a best value in reloading is absurd. The SDB is a good machine, the IDEA that it is a good value is like a picture of a white chicken running wildly around our minefield after taking a direct hit of RCF.

Limitations of the SDB:
1. you must use Dillon$ expen$ive die$;
2. you can only use Dillon$ old tech powder mea$ure;
3. you can only load pistol cartridges;
4. you pay ob$ceenly high price$ for Dillon a$$e$orie$
If you buy the press and the quick changeover kits for 3 additional caliber conversion (loading 4 different cartridges that require different shell plates); your costs are:
$340 - - SDB Press ready to load
$270 - - 3 SDB Quick Changeover $90 (Includes Powder Measure with Toolhead)
$231 - - 3 SDB Caliber conversion $77 (Incl.: Dies, Shellplate, Powder Funnel, Locator Buttons)
$841 Total

The best value on the market IMNSHO is the Lee Classic Turret Kit from $163 to $185 depending on options. Everything you need to load quality ammo at a rate reported to be at or near 250/hr by members of this forum.
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

Good Shooting!

Wonderful bloviation! And, of course, completely irrelevant to this thread, given the parameters set forth by the OP in his opening salvo. "I would be shooting .38 Special only."
Old October 4, 2008, 07:57 AM   #15
ear-ingun

AlleyKrap
I vote for the Lee Classic Cast Turret
its wonderful to see you attempt to expand your mind by spending hours and hours searchin a dictionary for the right word. How long did that take? on third thought, you better forget figuring that out because you will need to remove your socks to properly compute those 12 or 13 hours.

Bloviate is an intransigent verb. Do you think you used it in the right context and tense? Isn't your usage kinda like saying, "Nice fartation! I and you are going to do another yesterday.", better consult with an english teacher.

Quote:
You said
- - opening salvo. "I would be shooting .38 Special only."
and why did you write that you would be shooting 38 only, thats what your sentence says anyway! Yes! It does.
Old October 4, 2008, 08:25 AM   #16
jmorris

Quote:
OK, 9mm is out 'cause I want a revolver with a 6 inch barrel for target shooting and the don't make them.

If you are just wanting to get into reloading to make 38 cost the same as 9mm and you are wanting a revolver for informal target shooting, how about one of these.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firear...tion&famlst=19

FWIW I have owned many reloading machines and still have 10 including the LNL and at least one of each Dillon model except the 550. I would recommend buying Dillon if you can afford it, otherwise the LNL will work and you’ll have some free bullets to boot.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:41 AM   #17
NBS2005

Thanks

Thanks for the replies so far.

The Dillion sounds so easy to use, but I have not seen a used one under $250. A Lee setup will cost less and leave money for supplies. I still haven't decided though, tinkering does not seem like fun.

I was thinking 38 spl only for cost. Also, I don't anticipate having that many guns , I'm interested in other sports and have to spread the cost around . Now I could see myself wanting to shoot 45 ACP at some point to take part in full bullseye matches. And with reloading, my guess is there is not a lot of difference in price between 38 and 45. But for now, I'll stick to 38 to start.

I've come this close to buying the Blackhawk, my local shop has a used one for cheap. My only concern is accuracy with the 9mm load. I have yet to read that the 9 is as accurate as the 38/357 due to the slight barrel size difference. If anyone can post a 50yard group from that gun with the 9, I'd love to see it.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:43 AM   #18
Don P

Reloading

In my opinion Lee's 3 or 4 hole turret press will be your most cost effective set up. You can buy either in manual or auto indexing. I prefer the manual 3 hole. As stated earlier forget about speed when reloading. If your goal is to load as much ammo as possible in the shortest amount of time YOU WILL get your self in trouble. All it takes is one double charge and that could be DEADLY, to you or a innocent shooter next to you. If speed is what you need go to the store and buy factory loads.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:59 AM   #19
lee n. field

Quote:
And with reloading, my guess is there is not a lot of difference in price between 38 and 45. But for now, I'll stick to 38 to start.
Not a whole lot. My usual .38 load is only a grain of powder lower than my usual .45 load (3.7gr Bullseye and 4.7gr Bullseye). Bullets cost what they cost. .45 bullets will be a higher, simply on account of the cost of materials and shipping. Primer cost is the same.

Both are pretty forgiving rounds to handload.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 4, 2008, 11:54 AM   #20
zxcvbob

Quote:
I've come this close to buying the Blackhawk, my local shop has a used one for cheap. My only concern is accuracy with the 9mm load. I have yet to read that the 9 is as accurate as the 38/357 due to the slight barrel size difference. If anyone can post a 50yard group from that gun with the 9, I'd love to see it.
If you're loading your own, you can use oversize bullets (for example, 125 grain .38 Special bullets.) The cartridges will have kind of a hourglass shape to them (they'll have a "waist") but they should load just fine.

That's one of the good things about reloading; you can load nonstandard stuff that's tailored to your guns. My favorite .45 Colt load is about halfway between a normal SAAMI .45 Colt load and the +P "Ruger only" loads like you can buy from Buffalo Bore for $2 a pop. Nobody that I know of sells commercial ammo loaded to that medium-high power level. BTW, they cost me about 5¢ each using my own bullets, or about 12¢ if I were to buy the bullets.
Old October 4, 2008, 12:47 PM   #21
Jart

Quote:
The Dillion sounds so easy to use, but I have not seen a used one under $250.
A good deal of the charm of the SDB lies in its "turnkey" nature. This complicates buying used as you'll either be hunting .38 special rigs only or having to deal with a caliber change.

Dealing with a caliber change would place me in uncharacteristic agreement with Shoney. This should be avoided to the extent convenient.
Old October 4, 2008, 09:48 PM   #22
totalloser

The Lee turret is a fantastic little press, but I would note that you could get a Loadmaster in your price range and have enough left over for a single stage. This allows you a second press with a normal shell holder for dealing with pulling bullets or dealing with a primer goof etc. I used this setup for a while before getting a turret to replace the single stage.

There are LOTS of things to keep track of and adjust properly with a progressive, but once it's dialed in you can load nearly a thousand rounds an hour with very good consistency. The Loadmaster can be a bit finicky if things are not adjusted right, though.

But the Lee turret is really a no brainer. I really like this press. SUPER easy to use, and quite versatile. Just slower. I'd get the primer feeder for it though.

You know, you should check out Lee's site. They have video clips you can download for instructional purposes which is good to do even if you don't have their press. And you can get a MUCH better idea of the processes and get a better idea of what will work for you.
Old October 4, 2008, 11:57 PM   #23
D. Manley

No one will get any disagreement from me that the LCT is a tremendous value...maybe, the best one to be had. That aside, there are some good deals used Dillon equipment to be found and this is one case I wouldn't think for a second about buying "used".

I bought my older model SD along with 2-caliber conversions, a RCBS RC-JR, a Lee Production Pot, 6-molds, Lyman sizer, a stack of manuals, assorted other goodies for...$50.00. Boxed the SD up, sent it to Dillon and for $29.95 (at the time), had it totally rebuilt to like-new including, all new powder measure system. And just to put a point on things, there's no reason whatsoever to have a separate PM for each caliber on a SDB...they're a bit different that the other Dillon models using 4-Hex nuts to secure the toolhead and there is no time advantage to be gained by leaving the measure attached in fact, it slows you down. (Yes, I learned this only after I acquired an additional measure). What does speed up a changeover is to have a complete separate primer system...one for large, one for small.
Old October 5, 2008, 09:15 AM   #24
WESHOOT2

'cheap' advice (getting what you paid for)

FIRST, start with the Lyman Pistol & Revolver Reloading Handbook.
I use #2.

Then add some safety glasses.
Then MORE manuals.

THEN, buy two of the very cheapest LEE presses and mount them 8" apart.
On the left one mount a Lyman powder-drop-through 'M' flare die (as found in your newly-bought Lyman Deluxe 4-die set), and on THAT mount a Hornady/Pacific or RCBS powder measure.

Add a few MTM cartridge trays, LEE chamfer tool, RCBS hand-priming unit and RCBS shellholders, RCBS 505 scale, Lyman Scale Weight Check Set, and a Redding Profile Crimp Die.

Use W231 powder, and quality lead bullets (like Penn or Meister Bullets).
Can use any small pistol primer (that your gun ALWAYS ignites).

Ready for Bullseye competition.

Questions / comments / discussion invited.
Old October 5, 2008, 05:16 PM   #25
Gaucho Gringo

Quote:
I bought my older model SD along with 2-caliber conversions, a RCBS RC-JR, a Lee Production Pot, 6-molds, Lyman sizer, a stack of manuals, assorted other goodies for...$50.00.
I would have to ask what century you purchased this in. I look all the time for reloading equipment and have never remotely come across a deal like this. I would say you had the good fortune of the reloader's equivalent of winning the lottery. Not a very realistic price to pay 99.9999999999999% of the time.

As far as tinkering, I would say you would have to "tinker" for safeties sake, you just don't put the components in the correct places and crank out the ammo. IMO you check cases for cracks and other case problems, weigh several powder charges on a scale to be sure the initial setting is correct and check during reloading too, checking to be sure COAL is correct, checking each case to be sure it has powder and probably a few other things I have missed. At 57 I still have my eyesight and all my fingers and would like to keep it that way. Would rather be slow and safe than fast and sorry. Safety first.
357 Taurus Gaucho, 22 Heritage RR, 2-Pietta 1858 44 NMA Remingtons, Pietta, Euroarms & ASM 36 1851 Navies, 31 Uberti 1849, 12 ga H&R Topper, 16 Ga Western Field, 43 Spanish Remington Rolling Block, 44 ASM Colt Walker, High Point C9 9mm, Winchester 1906 22, Rossi 62 22 rifle, Uberti 1860, H&A & IJ 32 S&W BreakTop, 36 Euroarms 1858, 32 H&R 04, 22mag NAA SS BP revolver, .44 Rodgers & Spencer, IJ 38 S&W BreakTop, IJ 22 Sealed 8