The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 9, 2007, 01:51 AM   #1
Dirtball

H&R 733 Cylinder Pawl

Hi,
First posting. Of course I screwed something up and need help.
Anybody familiar with an H&R 733. I took one apart to stone it (terrible double action) and somehow managed to screw up the little whisker spring on the pawl. I got a new pawl/spring assembly from Numerich and carefully filed and stoned it down to the same dimensions as the original. She's a no worky. Hmmm. If I can get the old spring out of the original (it's peened in place) I might be able to replace the spring.
I know the revolver isn't the highest quality, but it's my father-in-laws' and I need to get-r-done. Any suggestions? Thanks, DB
Old January 9, 2007, 05:46 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the spring on the new one seems OK, check the front of the hand just under the point. Sometimes, they have to be cut back a bit or the hand will bear on the ratchet point below the one you want it to and the hand won't go into the ratchet far enough.

You can pull that little wire spring out without too much trouble, and you can buy spring wire at most home stores to replace it. Costs something like a buck for two feet.

Jim
Old January 10, 2007, 10:55 PM   #3
Dirtball

Thanks Jim. I'll check out the wire option, since I have the original.