The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 30, 2005, 10:34 AM   #1
SMITH910

10/22 ruining my magazines

I picked up a gently used 10/22 with a nice weaver scope and pistol grip integrated stock. Very nice gun. One thing though, after a few dozen rounds the gun would jam. I would look at the magazine and it seemed to not hold the cartridges correctly (spring loose and cartridge not proped up all the way). I bought a new magazine and within 50 rounds it was doing the same thing! Never heard of something like this. My dad has a 10/22 from way back - all original, never ever a problem Any ideas? Thanks for your comments.
Old November 30, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2
cntryboy1289

little help

Sounds like you just need to retension the spring on them. I am not sure why it happens, but I have one that does the same thing. I have five different clips and from time to time I will have to retension the spring as well.

What I do is use an allen hed screwdriver to loosen the screw while holding pressure against the nut on the other side. After I get it loose, I will use a pair of pliers to hold the nut and push the nut out enough to tighten it. I turn it until I feel very good tension on it, usually at a minumum of 4 turns, and then push the nut back in place and then retighten the screw back.
Old November 30, 2005, 01:45 PM   #3
SMITH910

Thank you for your reply. I'm just confused that after 50 rounds it would do this - on two totally different mags. The fellow working at the indoor range, did what you just said to the mag - but to no avail after a dozen rounds or so it did the same thing again. Is there ANY chance the gun (something faulty) could be doing this to them? I can't see how. Does turning them at least 4 times to add tension last forever then for you? I will tighten both down again tonight following your instructions Cntryboy1289 - Thanks!
Old November 30, 2005, 02:31 PM   #4
cntryboy1289

hasn't worked for me in the long term

I still have to maintain them from time to time. Like I said, I don't understand it either unless it is simply weak springs they are using. Some of my older magazines don't do it as often as the newer ones will, but all of them will do it eventually.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:49 PM   #5
Foxman

I have had the same thing ,but a retension fixed it. The other thing is that powder blows back into the mag and quickly jams it up too. The fix for me was to pull the mag apart, clean it, apply a little spray teflon dri-lube to all the moving parts and re assemble with sufficient tension right to to push ammo up right to the last round. I blow the mags out after each session (compressed air or vac pipe on blow) and I have had no further trouble. All my mags are 4 + yrs old, so Iwonder if Ruger are using poorer springs now, I would return the offending mag to them and try a couple of new ones as above.
Old January 5, 2006, 02:04 PM   #6
Bayonet

Hot Lips and Steel Lips 10/22 mags

I have had 3 different 10/22's, stock and custom, and seen the same thing with Ruger mag's in particular. I have switched to Hot Lips and Steel Lips available from Butler Creek and this totally stopped.

New to the forum, but really enjoy it.

Last edited by Bayonet; January 5, 2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old January 12, 2006, 10:16 PM   #7
caliber311

Steel Lips Are the best

If you can find any original ruger hi-caps with steel top that would be the way to go. I haven't looked since before the ban expired, they were around $70 then and hard to find, the Hotlips one is the same principal, if you're not sure what we're talking about look at your stock 10 rounder. Try it for a while if it works without failing that's your fix.