The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2017, 07:11 PM   #26
tahunua001

uh... wut?
alluminum cased ammo is alluminum for a reason. it's a cost saving material. naturally the ammo using alluminum casings is also going to be loaded lighter to cut down on the amount of powder needed and is going to be lighter projectiles to cut down on the amount of lead and copper needed as well. why are you buying the cheapest stuff on the shelf for defense? that stuff is designed just like all of the white box ammo and steel cased, making holes in paper that's it. defense ammo should expand, FMJs don't expand. you should be buying stuff that comes with brass or nickel casings that should be costing at least double what the cheapest stuff on the rack costs. the difference in price nearly guarantees you expansion, and reliability, but should also be tested thoroughly before you make the decision to carry that for defense.
Old January 30, 2017, 11:18 AM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
While ball/FMJ ammo can technically kill,...
If you aren't technically killed, then what are you? UNdead??
Guess that's what those zombie loads are for...

Not going to argue that hollow points don't perform better (when they do actually perform), but they are NOT magic, and you still have to hit the "off switch" if you want immediate shutdown. There is NO getting around that simple fact.

I don't shoot aluminum cased ammo (or steel), not even for plinking.

And the only time I run the cheapest brass cased crap ammo is when I want the brass for reloading.

There's a big difference between "works well" and "works well enough to go bang".