The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 4, 2013, 05:30 PM   #26
stubbicatt

Of the ball powders I have tried, with the 55 grain bullet weights, I prefer Ramshot Xterminator. It has the advantage of metering quite well. However, I much prefer H4895. Some like Varget, and it is a good powder, I just prefer 4895.

I don't think you will find the answer you seek until you have experimented awhile. Any of the numbers you listed is a good starting point, and doubtless you will find a good combination with any of them.
Old July 4, 2013, 07:52 PM   #27
SRE

Only have ever used H4895. From 40 to 60g bullets, which is all I shoot when it comes to weight, it has the desired results qualifying my needs to not go to another powder. However, while visiting a friend's reloading setup he was using Varget. After hearing his positive feedback I did try it and whithin my realm it has no marginal differences than H4895.

So, i'd go with those 2. Happy reloading!