The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 1, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Contrast Man

CCI APS Primer Strips

Hey everyone, I came across some CCI APS primers but I don't have a loader that uses these strips. I was wondering if it's possible to remove the primers from the strips and put them into my own machine (Hornady LnL AP)? Thanks!
Old July 1, 2013, 01:11 PM   #2
andyjr11

Yes, just punch them out of the strips and use as you normally would. I use them all the time, cost a little more but easier to find.
Old July 1, 2013, 02:12 PM   #3
Contrast Man

Thanks! I've found these around and have been pretty hesitant because I wasn't sure if they could be easily/safely removed, but at least I'll be able to pick up some primers and start loading again.
Old July 1, 2013, 02:38 PM   #4
stubbicatt

My tool for removing the primers is a wood pencil with the lead part broken off, so you have sort of a cone with a pencil lead diameter end which works great for pressing the primers out from the shiny side, not the anvil side.

YMMV.

BTW, I have non APS primers I might trade for the APS version if you are in the Denver area.
Old July 1, 2013, 07:42 PM   #5
Contrast Man

Thanks for the pencil tip. If I were nearby I'd probably take you up on the trade, but I'm based out by Chicago.
Old July 2, 2013, 12:52 AM   #6
Marco Califo

I pop them straight from the strip into the RCBS hand priming tool tray. A toothpick, ball point pen cap pocket clip, or even a loaded round tip can all be used to pop them out. Then turn over any that flipped to the wrong side.
Old July 2, 2013, 10:52 AM   #7
GWS

This is just plain WRONG!

But if you are going to do it, do yourself a favor and keep the strips....give them away to an APS user....or horrors.....

sell the strips on Ebay for good cash.....check this out.

Let's see....I just paid about $200 including the Hazmat for 5000 small pistol primers from Grafs. I reload 5000 .40 and .357 rounds and have 200 empty strips....if I sell these at Ebay for $10 for 10 then I'd make....$200. Free. (8 for $10 is even more....yes they are getting it.

So....you still feel bad about paying a tad more? (as of this minute small aps primers are in stock there.)

Last edited by GWS; July 2, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
Old July 3, 2013, 09:04 AM   #8
stubbicatt

Man, I LOVE my hand held APS priming tool. Great tool, really.