The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 6, 2008, 03:59 PM   #1
ShootingNut

Winchester Primers

"Winchester primers have a new surface finish for improved sensitivity."
I see this noted now on the Winchester Primers. Just wondering if that could present any problem for us reloaders?
I wouldn't think so, just a thought.
Regards,
SN
Old October 6, 2008, 06:22 PM   #2
BigJimP

I use CCI primers / but when I've had to substitute Winchester or Remington I've never had a problem.

The only primer I won't buy is Federal - because they are really soft - and they make me nervous in a progressive press.
Old October 6, 2008, 06:31 PM   #3
kraigwy

Winchesters are good primers for bolt guns, but the jacket's a little thin for gas guns. I wouldnt recomend them, they have a tendency to cause slam fires.

This isnt a problem with bolt guns. My 257 Roberts really likes them as does my 204 Ruger.

You can't say what works in one gun will work in another. My Remington 700 223 likes Rem Primers, My White Oak Upper AR Service rifle likes the CCIs.

I tried what was suppose to be an accuracy load in my 204 Ruger, using Fed Match Primers. It showed more presure and had less accuracy and velocity then the same load of Benchmark then the Winchester primers.

You should try each primer to see what works best in your rifle/bullet combination. Its not uncommon to have tree or so differant primers for the same gun because you use differat brass or bullets.

Guns are like women, they are finicky, what works for one may or may not work for another.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old October 6, 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
fourrobert13

I haven't had any issues with them in my Glocks or my Ar's.
Old October 6, 2008, 10:45 PM   #5
Stumper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Winchester primers have a new surface finish for improved sensitivity."

I think that is marketing speak for "In the interest of maximizing profit Winchester has opted to longer spend the money to install a non-essential nickel plating to the primer cup."

"If only God has magic, how does Santa get down the chimney?" Natalie Peters age 4
Old October 6, 2008, 11:48 PM   #6
DEDON45

What Stumper said....