The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 24, 2019, 09:22 PM   #1
Joe L.

Permitless Carry - Mo/Ks

Just read through the Mo and Ks gun laws I could find online. As I read it, since both Mo and Ks are permitless States, no permit is needed to carry in either state. Can a Mo resident carry without a permit in Ks and vise versa?
Old March 25, 2019, 10:19 AM   #2
Wag

Yes. That's the way I understand it.

--Wag--
Old March 25, 2019, 12:33 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Yes, but not in states that require a CCW permit. Also, in Missouri open carry is legal by state statute, but can be prohibited by local law unless you have a CCW permit. So it is still an advantage for a Missouri resident to have a CCW permit issued by Missouri.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old September 25, 2019, 11:57 PM   #4
btmj

It is also advantageous for Missouri residents to get a permit so they can enjoy reciprocity in the ~ 40 or so states that honor Missouri permits.
Old September 26, 2019, 05:12 PM   #5
briandg

Residency is not a concern for these issues. The laws are all written concerning only where the infraction takes place, not where the person resides. Having a permit to carry in one state, or having a free to carry law in place will not mean anything in a state that only permits licensed carriers.

Think of this like the legal drinking age or smoking age. It doesn't matter if you reside in colorado that allows sale and possession of pot, there are a few places left in america that still forbid recreational or medical use of this drug.
Old September 27, 2019, 09:43 AM   #6
OldMarksman
Staff

One thing to keep in mind--permitless carry dies not permit carrying in the vicinity of a K-12 school.
Old September 28, 2019, 12:29 PM   #7
TRX

...or Federal buildings, or some Federal parks, lakes, docks, or other properties.
Old September 28, 2019, 02:48 PM   #8
OldMarksman
Staff

Quote:
..or Federal buildings, or some Federal parks, lakes, docks, or other properties.
Well, yeah, but a state resident permit does allow carry in the vicinity of K-12 schools in that state.
Old September 28, 2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Dan-O

I was wrong. Deleted

Last edited by Dan-O; September 28, 2019 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Deleted
Old September 28, 2019, 04:55 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMarksman
One thing to keep in mind--permitless carry dies not permit carrying in the vicinity of a K-12 school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRX
...or Federal buildings, or some Federal parks, lakes, docks, or other properties.
No, you're mixing oranges and pomegranates. OldMarksman was referring to the federal school zone law. You are talking about laws that address carry in certain buildings, or on certain properties. For federal buildings, for example, carry is prohibited whether or not you have a permit. So this is not just a permitless carry thing.

The school zone safety law, on the other hand, prohibits firearms within 1000 feet of a school property. So it applies not only to the school building(s) and to the school property, it also extends a gun-free buffer zone 1000 feet out from the boundaries of the school property.

There are a couple of exceptions to the federal gun free school zone (GFSZ) law. One exception, I believe, says something about people who reside within the 1000 foot buffer. Another exception is a carry permit. But ... state reciprocity does NOT help here, because the GFSZ law says the exception applies to holders of permits issued by the state in which the school is located.
Jeepaholic
Old September 28, 2019, 05:28 PM   #11
briandg

The answer to all of this discussion is to read and understand the law of the federal government, the laws of your state of residency, and the laws of any state to which you will travel. It can't be too hard to do.

These ordinances aren't ten page dissertations, it's generally a few minutes to read and digest.
Old September 28, 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by briandg
These ordinances aren't ten page dissertations, it's generally a few minutes to read and digest.
I beg to differ. Some may be short, but many are not.

I don't remember how many pages the New York SAFE Act took up. The Connecticut public act that followed soon after the SAFE Act was 169 pages. That's just the legislative act. Within that were some new laws, and many changes to existing laws. To fully understand it would require reading thousands of pages.
Jeepaholic
Old September 29, 2019, 10:33 AM   #13
Wag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
The school zone safety law, on the other hand, prohibits firearms within 1000 feet of a school property. So it applies not only to the school building(s) and to the school property, it also extends a gun-free buffer zone 1000 feet out from the boundaries of the school property.

There are a couple of exceptions to the federal gun free school zone (GFSZ) law. One exception, I believe, says something about people who reside within the 1000 foot buffer. Another exception is a carry permit. But ... state reciprocity does NOT help here, because the GFSZ law says the exception applies to holders of permits issued by the state in which the school is located.
This makes sense. One of the best gun stores in our state is right next to a school. If you're going to have a gun there, you have to stay in the parking lot or in the store itself. Parking on the street is a big no-no.

--Wag--
Old September 29, 2019, 01:29 PM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Here's a link to an article explaining the GFSZ law: http://concealednation.org/2015/11/t...a-school-zone/

Exceptions:

Quote:
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
Note that exception (ii) applies if you have a license issued by the state in which the school is located. Even if you are a resident of that state, "constitutional" (permitless) carry does not authorize you to carry in/through a GFSZ.
Jeepaholic
Old September 29, 2019, 01:29 PM   #15
berettaprofessor

The other reason to go ahead with a Kansas permit is the ease in gun purchase; no NICS checks with a CCW. That won't help the OP on handgun purchases in Kansas, however, since he lives in MO.
Old September 29, 2019, 09:57 PM   #16
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The GFSZ law is reason enough for me. If/when I'm visiting in another state, I'm likely not going to know when I'm within 1000 feet of a school. I have non-resident permits from three states where I can carry without a permit, just for that reason.
Jeepaholic