The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2019, 11:36 PM   #1
ammo.crafter

SIG sp2022

Has anyone out there purchased this semi auto?

If so, how do you find the grip surface and have you found IWB and OWB holster?

Thanks.
Old January 16, 2019, 01:15 AM   #2
SDF880

Have one for 3 months now and I carry it quite often! I use a Clinger holster and just tuck it in my waistband. I leave it in double action first shot I'm OK carrying this way. Gun seems flawless no issues what so ever! I really like the grip on it too!
Old January 16, 2019, 11:37 AM   #3
pblanc

I do not own one. I own 2 SIG P229 DA/SA all-metal pistols.

I have fondled and dry-fired the SIG 2022 a few times. The reason I found it less than attractive was the very short front strap on the grip frame. A good portion of the front strap surface is made up by the magazine base plate which has a polymer piece that extends up. That works fine so long as you have a magazine in the pistol, but I am virtually certain that I would pinch my shooting hand trying to do a quick reload unless I nearly completely released my shooting grip on the pistol.
Old January 16, 2019, 06:52 PM   #4
sigarms228

The SP2022 is an excellent pistol if it fits you well and the trigger is usually pretty goos out of the box DA and SA. A very robust design and one rarely read/hears of a problem with the SP2022 especially in 9MM. The downside to the SP2022 is that it is a pretty much what you see is what you get pistol which is not a bad thing unless you plan to customize/modify beyond sights and grip modules. The SP2022 was one of if not the first pistol SIG made that was somewhat modular in that it has a firing control unit that contains the hammer and related parts. At one point SIG sold a DA only FCU so that D/A and DA only FCUs could be swapped out of the pistol. The FCU however makes it more difficult to work on those parts for most of us.

http://s277.photobucket.com/user/GaryBF42/SP2022/story --- cool pics of SP2022 internals.

Last edited by sigarms228; January 16, 2019 at 06:59 PM.
Old January 16, 2019, 09:03 PM   #5
sparkyv

This is a highly underrated handgun. Good trigger, good shooter, an affordable SIG. Magazines are a bit pricey. I don't CC a duty sized handgun such as this, but if I did, I would use an OWB holster for it. The 9mm is a house gun, but the 40SW is still on "the list".
Old January 16, 2019, 09:29 PM   #6
sigarms228

I don't know why they are so hard to find but I was able to obtain some short magazine base plates for my SP2022 and it makes it easier to conceal while I still have a full grip. My SP2022 is same height as my P229 with that magazine base plate. Sadly the large grip for the SP2022 is no longer made but a lot of us with larger hands love it. Sometimes they show up on Ebay.

Old January 26, 2019, 03:54 PM   #7
Ruark

I have a P2022 9mm I use for a house gun. It spends most of its time on the nightstand. I used to stick it in my jeans pocket when I was working on my farm or throw it in the truck when I went fishing, etc. It's too big, IMHO, for a CC weapon. For that, I use my Walter P99AS. The 2022 is a rock solid gun, thougth, and is the standard military sidearm for several foreign militaries.

The textured grip is excellent. Sticks to your palm like glue, even if you're sweaty.

I found the fixed sights to be dead-on.

It's a hammer-fired double-single action. The initial, double action pull is smooth, but LOOOONG. About the time you think it's going to fire, it goes back some more. In single action mode, however, it's wonderful, about 4 pounds, nice and crisp. Keep in mind that all you have to do is thumb back the hammer and you're in SA mode. I quickly learned to thumb it back as I took hold of the gun; it's not an issue at all, and that long DA pull makes a great safety.

If it weren't so bulky, I'd sell the Walther and carry the 2022. But it's an individual thing; I know of many who carry it.

Check this out (skip to 1:20). 5,000 rounds without a hitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWxtXFy9FSQ

Last edited by Ruark; January 26, 2019 at 04:04 PM.
Old January 26, 2019, 05:47 PM   #8
shafter

It's slightly bulky, a little more so than the 229, but it has the same Sig quality and smooth trigger that their more expensive models have. If they scaled it down just a bit in size it would be just about perfect.
Old January 28, 2019, 05:22 PM   #9
Bart Noir

I like mine in 9mm, and like my buddy's in .40. It is quite accurate even in my hands.

Which is interesting since the slide is so loose on the frame that you can shake it and get a rattle sound. Really. I guess that has no effect on accuracy, which makes me wonder why all the 1911 gunsmiths work so hard to get slides tight on the 1911 frame. It must have something to do with differing locking lug designs.

Bart Noir
Old January 28, 2019, 07:11 PM   #10
sparkyv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Noir View Post
I like mine in 9mm, and like my buddy's in .40. It is quite accurate even in my hands.

Which is interesting since the slide is so loose on the frame that you can shake it and get a rattle sound. Really. I guess that has no effect on accuracy, which makes me wonder why all the 1911 gunsmiths work so hard to get slides tight on the 1911 frame. It must have something to do with differing locking lug designs.

Bart Noir
Mine is a little loose, too. Never noticed it before. My P938 rattles similarly. My Ruger American Pistol does not. Now I gotta check my 1911 and others. Thanks for nothing, Bart Noir!
Old February 3, 2019, 12:12 AM   #11
Sgt Pepper

The P2022 may be the most underrated handgun of all time. SIG trigger. SiG accuracy. Low price. I love the grip surface and mine came with an OWB holster in the box from SIG, which is the only one that I have used. It works great.
Old February 5, 2019, 09:47 PM   #12
chemcal

Does it have the same trigger as the P Series?
Old February 7, 2019, 11:59 AM   #13
mr bolo

Quote:
The P2022 may be the most underrated handgun of all time. SIG trigger. SiG accuracy. Low price. I love the grip surface and mine came with an OWB holster in the box from SIG, which is the only one that I have used. It works great.
probably because it's mostly used by the French Police, it's not was as well known as other models.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:11 PM   #14
SCgman

Purchased a 2022 new in 40 S&W over a year ago. I likely have less than 400 rds thru it. Have had a few stove pipe episodes at the range and am wondering if it just needs more rounds through the gun. Could this be a mag (spring tension) issue? As I said I likely haven't worked this gun enough to consider it broke in, it has been cleaned several times. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old February 13, 2019, 11:14 PM   #15
Martowski

I've owned two of them. They are fantastic pistols. As someone else said, probably some of the most under rated handguns of all time (I also feel this way about the FN FNP).

I still have my SP2022, and got rid of my P226s (two of them). In the end, there was nothing the P226 did that I couldn't do equally as well with the SP2022. Not to say I won't own another P226 some day, but if I do it will be because of wanting variety, not because the SP2022 wasn't up to the task.
Old February 25, 2019, 06:50 AM   #16
Snuffy308

Firm up your grip. Stovepipe issues will go away.
Old February 25, 2019, 08:25 AM   #17
wild cat mccane

When it was 350 with NS and 2 mags, it was a deal.

Now it costs the same as any other option but is a rather thick and less slinky in appearance.

I wouldn't call it a deal at 450.
Old February 26, 2019, 07:43 PM   #18
mr bolo

I got mine last year for $450 with two magazines, I think it's still a great price for a SIG

still cheaper than a GLOCK 17 / 19

I really like the DA / SA trigger , the SP2022 fits my hand perfectly , I would highly recommend it , it's super reliable.

MECGAR makes a really nice magazine for these, for around $21 each

they are the same factory that makes the ones that come with the pistol, except they are marked MECGAR instead of SIG
Old March 20, 2019, 11:59 AM   #19
ammo.crafter

At the range

Finally fired my new SP 2022/9mm.

One FTF out of 400 rounds of Winch 115gr FMJ.

Decent trigger on DA and lighter on follow up SA.

Mine shot left approx 3" which was easily corrected with slight left move of front sight.

I have cc the Sig and found it quite comfortable...then again, I was cc a Hi Power, previously.