The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 19, 2007, 12:11 PM   #1
actionflies

$15 Brass Catcher

I made this brass catcher and it was working perfect for my 9mm and 45acp. The net is (Frabill brand) was $11.00-$11.99 at Joe's Sporting Goods in Portland, OR. Lightweight - except the baseplate. The net material is perfect 1/4" mesh and formed into shape. The bottom of the handle has rubber ribs that make a firm fit when pressed into the top coupling. It just stuck together -no glue - a couple different lengths of pipe for height adjust.

Old June 19, 2007, 12:28 PM   #2
benedict1

What is the size of the net? Frabill makes a bunch of them. Where did you get the base? Would Lowe's or Home Depot have a base like yours?
Old June 19, 2007, 12:37 PM   #3
actionflies

The base is standard workout weight which you can buy in any sporting goods store and pvc pipe/coupling from Lowe's.
Old June 20, 2007, 02:10 PM   #4
Cpl Nobbs

that is just darn clever! well done!
Old June 26, 2007, 07:35 AM   #5
gaowlpoop

Here are a few pictures of the brass catcher I built. It is all Schedule 20 (pressure rated) ¾ inch PVC pipe. I glued all of the joints together except the legs. The cloth is just some scraps my wife had. The cloth is attached with clips I made by simply making one cut along the length of a piece of pipe and then cutting off short sections. If you decide to build something like this, give yourself plenty of cloth. If you stretch it tight, the casings will bounce back out.

Old June 26, 2007, 10:40 AM   #6
dodgestdshift

Very nice. Unfortunately I would need a stealthier model. My gun would instantly spot that, and change the direction that it ejects so that they missed the net.

Don N.