The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 15, 2019, 10:12 PM   #1
4V50 Gary
Staff

Sig P220 extractor broke

After 32 years of use, it finally broke. Now I've a single shot Sig. Guess I'll call Brownells on Monday to order a new one.
Old March 15, 2019, 10:58 PM   #2
sigarms228

32 years! Excellent.

I am pretty sure you have the internal extractor. Brownells probably won't have one and they are getting hard to come buy. Calling SIG may be your best bet but they might not sell you one outright but probably would require you to send your P220 in or maybe just the slide. Sometimes they show up on Ebay or Gunbroker but not all are authentic SIG part. Hope you get it repaired without too much difficulty.

This link may also be helpful as to where to locate one though on another gun forum.

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...5/m/4690002154

Last edited by sigarms228; March 15, 2019 at 11:04 PM.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks. It is indeed an internal extractor that requires the removal of the breechblock by driving out the rollpins.

I was trained as a Sig Armorer years ago and I'll find out on Monday (but I'll try Brownell's first).

Do you know if they're forged/mill, casted? I shudder at the thought of MIM.
Old March 16, 2019, 02:42 PM   #4
sigarms228

If you get a real SIG part I am pretty certain it is old stock steel. The link I provided shows that Grayguns (per Bruce Gray post of 02/05/19) has some of those in stock if you can't get one from Brownells of SIG. Please let us know where you found one at.
Old March 16, 2019, 03:36 PM   #5
fastbolt

I'd try SIG first, and tell them you're an old SIG armorer from the days when your 220 was using that internal extractor.

I only have one old style 220 extractor, which I keep on hand for a close friend who likes to shoot an old-style P220 that uses that early extractor. I picked it up in my SIG pistol armorer class more than 10 years ago, and put it aside against the day he may wear his out. (He likes to shoot virtually everyday on his rural property's range.)

It's probably (I'd think) going to be machined stock. They wouldn't use MIM because MIM doesn't work as a "spring". I remember back in the early late 80's/ early 90's a local sheriff's office temporarily suspended authorization of their deputies to use the older P220's when an extractor broke. As I heard, it had been a problem with how a batch of the older extractors had been heat-treated, and SIG sent them replacement extractors, after which the 220's were again authorized.

In my old Colt pistol armorer class the instructor chuckled and explained how Colt engineers had quickly figured out that MIM doesn't work for the extractor in their Model O pistol, since it doesn't work as a spring.

Make sure you replace the pins, too.

Have you updated all the wire springs, since yours is down for the moment? Might as well.
Old March 16, 2019, 04:11 PM   #6
Sevens

Quote:
After 32 years of use, it finally broke. Now I've a single shot Sig.
Nope, now it is a manually operated repeater... with a broken extractor.
Old March 16, 2019, 08:00 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Fastbolt - I know I should replace the springs. I want to be cheap. I'll see what Sig says on Monday about parts. If they have them, I should buy 'em.

Stevens - Procedure for Sig without extractor.

Insert magazine. Rack slide. Decock. Remove magazine. Shoot. Tip 'n shake (sometimes it comes out if the magazine is not present.

Repeat.

Faster than a flintlock pistol.
Old March 17, 2019, 03:18 PM   #8
Sevens

Can you imagine debuting exactly that back in the cap & ball or earlier days? You'd have been a god!

But seriously for a moment... the Semmerling: am I the only one intrigued by a manually operated repeater?
Old March 17, 2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Steve in PA

Good luck finding your extractor. I started that thread in the other forum. It looks like Jack First is the place to get one. I have two Sig's with the internal extractors. I have one spare, but I want to pick up one or two more, just to have.
Old March 18, 2019, 11:38 AM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Brownell's doesn't have it and Sig requires it to be installed in their Custom Shop. $55 for postage both ways and $50 for extractor plus installation. Numnuts or JackFirst doesn't have it either.

Even for law enforcement they won't sell the part. Sucks.
Old March 18, 2019, 12:15 PM   #11
sigarms228

Yikes. Did you try Grayguns? His post in that thread seemed to indicate he had some on hand.
Old March 18, 2019, 01:31 PM   #12
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks for the Grayguns tip. $220 for them v. $105 from Sig.

I can actually make one and have spring steel at hand here. We were taught that stuff at TSJC and the most tedious thing I had to make was a new SAA style loading gate for an Italian 22 revolver. The original was polymer and I made a replacement out of aluminum.

About the only way it would be worth it is for me to document (photograph) and write it up for American Gunsmith Magazine. They have published three of my articles before.
Old March 18, 2019, 04:08 PM   #13
sigarms228

Yikes. I did not know that the extractors were that much from Grayguns. Sounds like they want you to send it to them also maybe. It appears no one wants to sell them outright anymore. The guy from Total Automation mentioned he would not do that anymore because of those looking to buy them and them sell them on Ebay for a much higher price.

Good luck getting your P220 back in action! I have one too I bought in 1997 but mine has only a couple thousand rounds at most through it so I am expecting the extractor has a lot of life left in it. Making a new extractor is something that would be way over my head LOL. Excellent that you possess such know how if you want to give that a try.
Old March 18, 2019, 08:08 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

Found an aftermaket one on Ebay made out of 4140 steel, not spring steel. It is for 9mm though and would need some adjustments for the larger rim 45 ACP.
Old March 18, 2019, 09:47 PM   #15
4V50 Gary
Staff

Rechecked Jack First and they have them as the Browning Double Action. Same gun but with bottom magazine release. Problem solved at $39 each. I bought two.
Old March 19, 2019, 01:59 PM   #16
Sevens

Holy hell you made me laugh with that 'Numnuts' in the post above
Old March 19, 2019, 04:31 PM   #17
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
Rechecked Jack First and they have them as the Browning Double Action. Same gun but with bottom magazine release. Problem solved at $39 each. I bought two.
SWEET score!
Old March 21, 2019, 04:01 PM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

On those 4140 steel ones, that's not optimal material as its carbon content is too low. Better to use W1 or the spring steel from Brownells. Cut/file to shape, heat to red, bend with pliers, quench and then temper it.
Old March 22, 2019, 05:48 PM   #19
Steve in PA

Did you try installing the ones from Jack's to make sure it fits?
Old March 23, 2019, 08:41 AM   #20
4V50 Gary
Staff

It should arrive today.

Those things are easy to make. Vise & file & time. Heat treat and temper.
Old March 23, 2019, 05:38 PM   #21
R.FORTE

I had an extractor fail on my 228, only could find a 229 part, but I recall that worked fine
Old March 26, 2019, 11:28 AM   #22
4V50 Gary
Staff

Picked up the extractor yesterday and finished installing it this morning. Had trouble driving out the roll pins that held the breechblock in place so I dropped some oil down it and left it alone overnight. This morning it was driven out, the breechblock cleaned, old extractor removed and new one installed. Twenty-three shots fired for test. It passed.
Old March 26, 2019, 01:40 PM   #23
sigarms228

Excellent!
Old March 26, 2019, 02:14 PM   #24
Steve in PA

Thanks for the update! Looks like I'll be ordering 1 or 2, just to have on hand.