The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 7, 2019, 07:21 PM   #1
BuckBerry

Open Sights for Marlin 30-30

Hi Guys,
I have a Marlin 30-30 (Model 30AW) that I'd like to replace the open sights on. The brass bead at the end of the barrel now is too hard for me to see. Also, I can't currently get the rear sight low enough to get the rifle to shoot on target. It consistently shoots 8-10" high at 100 yards. I basically keep this rifle as a "truck gun" for whatever triggers my fancy. I'd like to have sights that help me extend my range a bit. I guess I'd like to have a 200+ yard range for whatever critters may be in need of correction...Coyotes, etc. I may also find myself using this as an Indiana Whitetail rifle on occasion. I'm a shooter of moderate ability, I'm good but no superstar or anything.
Anyway, any advice is always appreciated.
Thanks
Old January 7, 2019, 08:09 PM   #2
ms6852

Check these guys out.
http://www.skinnersights.com/1895_sight_4.html
Old January 7, 2019, 08:57 PM   #3
Blindstitch

If the skinners don't work then some DNZ mounts would be a great addition.
https://www.amazon.com/Game-Reaper-M...001EYH4I2?th=1
Old January 8, 2019, 05:36 PM   #4
hoghunting

You might also check Williams Gun Sight for the Marlin 336

https://www.opticsplanet.com/william...336-70282.html
Old January 10, 2019, 04:20 PM   #5
gwpercle

The Williams FP peep sight and fiber optic front work well for old eyes especially if you don't want the bulk of a scope .
Several years ago I mounted a Williams 5D receiver on a Winchester 94 with the stock front sight , at 50 yards it works OK but the fiber optic front may be needed now that the eyes have aged more . Those fiber optics are much easier to pick up .
Gary
Old January 11, 2019, 09:33 PM   #6
Drm50

I have several Lever Actions, I have no "new" ones but I have a couple Marlins as new as 1970 that I hunt with. Most off them from WW2 to 1970 I have reciever sights on them with
Patridge blade fronts. The best for my eyes. If you want to keep the open sight mode look
into Williams Fire Sights. They sell them in sets for Marlin & Win levers and replace existing
sights. They are flouresent fiber optic. My eyes can't take them but others with eye problems swear by them. I can't see the back sights on a lot of rifles any more, the reciever
sight solves that. I haven't got to the point that I have trouble with front sights.
Old January 12, 2019, 10:53 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

I put these on my Henry Golden Boy 22 WMR. Much more visible than the gold bead, and buckhorn rear.
https://www.truglo.com/firearms-rifl...rifle-sets.asp
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 12, 2019, 01:11 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

200+ yards is kind of optimistic with a .30-30. However, the Williams Fire Sights is the thing to buy. Not stupid expensive and a DIY thing with moderate skills and no expensive one time use tools required.
Old January 13, 2019, 11:51 PM   #9
bamaranger

peep/receiver sights

The advice to upgrade to a peep sight is sound. Adding peeps to my lever carbines tighted up iron sight groups, and added several years to my iron sight shooting, by lengthening the sight radius and working positively to aid my aging peepers.

My experience with fiber sights is not completely positive. Those plastic tubes are exposed and a bit fragile. I find myself babying the short turkey shotgun that I have that is so equipped. Not ideal for a truck rifle perhaps.

If you can find them, the XS sight company sells a stout steel ramped/post with a bold white stripe and a rear ghost aperture. They are not cheap, but are quality sights. You may also find just the XS post in the height you need, and pair it with a more affordable peep like the Williams.

Nearly any peep set up will aid your shooting I feel certain.
Old January 14, 2019, 09:06 AM   #10
Wyosmith

Yes, a peep sight is the best iron sight you can use. Especially if you use the large aperture. I like the ones Williams makes.

Or you can go to a low power scope, which is even faster to get on target with and gathers light far better then any human eye can in lower levels of light.
Old February 7, 2019, 06:42 PM   #11
Brutus

+ 1 on the Williams apeture. Everyone in my family has been putting them on our wood's rifles since I was a little boy. Hell I even have one on my assault rifle. A 1894 Marlin in 44 mag.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:16 PM   #12
Pathfinder45

I have had excellent results with tang-mounted peep sights on two lever-action rifles. One of them has a Lyman aperture front sight as well and is remarkably easy to shoot. In fact, when my friend tried it, he exclaimed, "Hell, buddy, you can't even miss with those sights!". The other rifle, a Winchester, had a front bead so small it was difficult to pick out in a woodsy background. So I enlarged the bead and painted it with fluorescent nail polish so now it's all good. The fiber-optic front sights have too much of a glow for me, so I like a conventional bead filed flat at an upward angle and painted with the afore-mentioned nail polish. The bead needs to be fairly large for quick acquisition in the woods. When sighted properly to place bullet-strike at the top of the bead, (that is, a close 6 0'clock hold), the larger bead does not obscure the target.
Old February 8, 2019, 02:43 PM   #13
Pathfinder45

Here is the link to the front aperture sight: https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ont-sight.html
I've got one of these on a Marlin Cowboy, coupled with a Marble's tang sight, it works so well I wonder why I don't have the same set-up on everything. But, on the other hand, the Winchester with the Lyman tang-sight and bead front is also working well.