The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 4, 2019, 05:53 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

Church Shooting Lawsuit continues

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-chur...ry?id=60832839

This is a lawsuit against Academy for selling the shooter the Sutherland massacre gun. One interesting aspect is the claim that the store should have been aware that as a Colorado resident he could not have a 15 round mag.

So do stores have to know the laws of all states?
Old February 4, 2019, 06:21 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I dont see this going very far. I live in Colorado and i can buy whatever capacity mags I want out of State. No law regulates that.

What i cannot do is bring them back to Colorado legally.

Additionally, i can buy long guns out of state. So, Academy did nothing against the law. It was a legal sale, mags and all.

The failure in this instance was the Military not reporting the DV charge. That would have stopped the sale.
Old February 4, 2019, 06:37 PM   #3
rickyrick

It’s a tactic to scare other retailers out of selling assault weapons and accessories.

The Academy store that I used to frequent was pretty strict with their rules. Sneeze wrong while looking at a firearm, well you’re gonna have to come back another day. (Gross exaggeration)
One instance, I was buying a pistol for me, with my money from my account (in Texas) but in the process of looking at the pistol I showed it to my wife of the time. I was not allowed to purchase the pistol on that day. I had a valid CHL at the time too.
So I’m sure other Academys are sticklers as well.
Old February 4, 2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Academy was expected to comply with the laws of both states but failed to, he claimed. The store "knew or should have known at that time that he was a Colorado resident and he couldn't purchase" that weapon, Webster said.
They're reaching ... WAAAAAAY over their heads. The law says that it's legal to purchase a long arm in a state where you don't reside if the sale complies with the laws of both states. The law does NOT (AFAIK) make it the responsibility of the gun store making the sale to verify that the laws of both states are being complied with.

Even if that were the case (which I very much doubt), obviously they weren't in Colorado, they were in Texas. Colorado law says nothing about what magazine capacity a Colorado resident can possess in a state other than Colorado.

This lawsuit should be shut off by the lawful trade in firearms act. If it's not, it should be laughed out of court as being incredibly frivolous.