The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2020, 11:56 AM   #1
reinert

Elk load; .270 WSM

I have a friend who would like to try hand loading for the .270 WSM. If anyone on the forum uses that cartridge for elk hunting, is there a favorite tried and true bullet/powder combo you like? Are magnum primers necessary? I’d be mentoring on this one, but have never worked with any of the short mags before. This would pretty much be with elk hunting in mind; best bullet, powder and primer. Any common glitches in reloading for this one?

Thanks, reinert
Old March 24, 2020, 04:08 PM   #2
kilotanker22

I have not hunted elk with it, but I do have experience loading for a 270 wsm

H-1000 powder is your friend. If you stay with 130 grain projectiles pick something tough. With cup and core bullets 150 grain projectiles should work well enough.

On deer with a 130 grain Sierra Game King I get pass throughs.

In the 270 wsm and H-1000 powder I had the best velocity numbers with CCI200 large rifle primers. I really don't think that a Magnum primer is essential.
“We do not seek peace in order to be at war, but we go to war that we may have peace. Be peaceful, therefore, in warring, so that you may vanquish those whom you war against, and bring them to the prosperity of peace.
– St. Augustine
Old March 25, 2020, 08:08 AM   #3
reinert

Thanks for your info, kilotanker22. Lately, I haven't been to a LGS to see what's left on the shelf at the places I usually buy reloading supplies; propellants are mostly what I'm wondering about (these days). I do use CCI 200 LRs for primers for about everything center-fire in the arsenal, so I'm good there, and no shortage in the cabinet (400 SRs for my .223).

Surfing around the net since I posted here, I found some old posts (from 2010 on some) that mention IMR 4350 as a good propellant in a load for the short mag. I do have a fair supply of that on hand, so I thought I'd start there. For a bullet, it'll probably be a Hornady 150grn. S.P. Interlock. That design has worked well for me in my '06s on elk, and I should think it'd be good in a .270 wsm, too. My "student" might like to try the Nosler Partitions once a good accurate load might be found with something not quite so spendy whilst load developing.

I've got an old friend I used to work with who's in his early 90's now, and he always used a .270 win. hunting elk. Factory ammo, using the 150 grn. S.P.s, from whatever ammo maker was what he always used. I don't doubt he still uses that rifle and ammo, and I know he killed his cow elk the past two years running. The guy's a total inspiration, and in really good shape yet, to boot.

I will keep an eye out for that H-1000 powder you mentioned if and when I get to my LGS. Hopefully there might be a pound hidden way in the back on the shelf. Not holding my breath though...Ha!

My friend with the short mag has saved all the factory ammo cases shot with the rifle, so we have once fired, fire-formed brass to start the process once that starts sometime before the next elk season.

Thanks again for the response.
Old March 25, 2020, 04:06 PM   #4
sako2

My friends 270 wsm shot lights out with a 150gn partition and Magpro for powder.