The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 4, 2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Jeepn35s

Python Question

Hi. I just bought my first python. It's a 94 blued with a 6 inch barrel. I just have a few questions. First it came with black grips. Are black grips original to the gun?
Second. What was the original retail price for a Colt Python in 94?
Any information is appreciated. Thank you
Old July 4, 2019, 09:50 AM   #2
Brutus

Congrats your going to love that gun.
Can't answer your questions as I bought mine in the 70's.
Took a long time to save up for it at the pricey sum of $350 and it came with wood grips. Still my most coveted revolver.
Quit shooting magnums out of it probably 30 years ago as I didn't want to develop timing problems.
Old July 4, 2019, 10:38 AM   #3
natman

According to the 1994 Gun Digest, a blued Python had an MSRP of $791.95 and it came with black rubber Pachmayr Gripper grips.
Old July 4, 2019, 10:41 AM   #4
Jim Watson

Thanks, natman, I was already rolling back my chair to go dig out the Gun Digest.
Old July 4, 2019, 11:41 AM   #5
Jeepn35s

Thank you!
Old July 4, 2019, 01:55 PM   #6
Pahoo

Prefer the wood on these !!

Quote:
According to the 1994 Gun Digest, a blued Python had an MSRP of $791.95 and it came with black rubber Pachmayr Gripper grips.
WOW !!!
That is like having a Lexus with Walmart tires. I know that wooden Python grips, bring a pretty penny. I see too many Pythons for sale that the seller has replaced the original grip with rubber. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old July 4, 2019, 03:08 PM   #7
Jeepn35s

Actually I like the black on black. I'm happy that is how it came.
Old July 4, 2019, 03:13 PM   #8
Leaf

I almost always prefer functionality over looks, particularly as it relates to firearm grips.
Old July 4, 2019, 04:47 PM   #9
DaleA

Dyed in the wool Pachmayr grip lover here...but on a Python? I just always imagine them with the deep, deep blue finish and the absurdly wide-at-the-bottom wood grips.

But guess what? If I had one of those grand old guns I'd shoot it with the Pachmayr's and keep the nice wood grips in a very safe place in case I ever had to sell it.

Good luck with yours and I'd appreciate an update to this thread after you've had it to the range.
Old July 4, 2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Jeepn35s

That poses another question. Its new in the box. I'm torn if I should shoot it or not. I want to but my collector buddies say I shouldn't
Old July 4, 2019, 06:49 PM   #11
603Country

I shot mine for many years. The grandkids loved it. Finally I decided to put some of the load on a new 686, but I still shoot the Python.

So...if I had a NIB Python I suppose the question would be: do I shoot it and enjoy it, or just put it in the safe and think about when I sell it for more money someday?

Personally, I do believe I’d shoot it and enjoy it.
Old July 4, 2019, 08:38 PM   #12
Leaf

A firearm has to be worth an awful lot of money for me to opt to make it a safe queen.
Old July 4, 2019, 10:34 PM   #13
KyJim

I was faced with that issue with an eight inch barreled Python. I shot it --- but that was before the prices went insanely high. I also faced that with a pair of unfired, two-toned Det. Specials. I ended up getting rid of them and bought something I didn't mind shooting. So, while I may not put a lot of rounds through some of my guns, I do want to shoot them because that's why I bought them. YMMV
Old July 5, 2019, 01:47 AM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
That poses another question. Its new in the box. I'm torn if I should shoot it or not. I want to but my collector buddies say I shouldn't
Most people don't use it, and just say "new in the box" but it isn't. It is, correctly "as new in the box". It's strange but once sold at retail, its no longer "new in the box' it is used, even if unfired or even unturned, its still used because you bought it.

A dealer can sell to another dealer and its still "new in the box" but the first time it is sold at retail (even if decades after it was made) it becomes used.

Now, there are different grades of "used" and that's probably what your collector friends are talking about. Used (owned) but unfired is considered "as new in the box" and is worth more to a collector than used, fired.

No idea how much difference in value there is, you'd need one of the collectors to tell you that, but a change in status can amount to a large change in value. How much is firing it worth to you?

would you shoot it if doing so changed it from a $3000 gun to a $2000 one?

OR if it "only" dropped the value $500? ask those collector friends how much value will change, so you have something to decide about.
Old July 5, 2019, 10:54 AM   #15
Pahoo

Every dog deservs one good bight !!!

Quote:
Its new in the box. I'm torn if I should shoot it or not. I want to but my collector buddies say I shouldn't
In my book, this term is over-used and "somewhat" suspect. I prefer the percentage rating that is also used. Or I might accept; unfired by the seller. As far as shooting it, I always say that all dogs deserves "one" good bight. If I have duplicate or like in kind, I only shot one. I have shot Pythons and yes, they are that good, even though they are over-priced. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old July 5, 2019, 11:32 AM   #16
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn35s View Post
You need to decide whether you want a shooter or a collector's item. If you want a collector's item, you're all set.

If you want a shooter, sell this Python, buy one with a bit of honest wear and put a grand in your pocket. Or buy a S&W and put a couple of grand in your pocket.

Turning a mint Python into a used Python is foolish.
Old July 5, 2019, 12:29 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

To put $791.95 in perspective, the U.S. Federal minimum wage in 1994 was $4.25 per hour. A little over 186 hours(4.65 weeks at 40 hours) to make it.
"...It's new in the box...." That new and unfired?
"...it's still used because you bought it..." It was considered used as soon as it left whatever shop it was delivered to by Colt.
There are 675 Pythons on Gunbroker right now. One of 'em, 6" SS with factory Pachmayr grips has an asking bid of 3 grand. Another, a 6", factory scoped, Hunter model supposedly unfired, runs $5,975.00. Neither one has any bids at all. Other Pythons can be had for well under 2 grand. Far too many variables to determine if yours is a 6 grand or $1100 Python.
Old July 5, 2019, 01:19 PM   #18
603Country

I suppose you guys can see why I bought a 686 to handle the heavy shooting load when the grandkids are here. My Python is, of course, used but still in great shape and I want to keep it that way. With a little gunsmith work, the 686 is now as smooth as the Python, and as accurate. The Python still has a better DA trigger pull for accuracy shooting.
Old July 5, 2019, 02:24 PM   #19
DaleA

Quote:
Its new in the box. I'm torn if I should shoot it or not.
IMhO that is a legit question. There's only so much "Python Goodness" left in the world.

That said, can the price of Pythons go up much more? Maybe. I sure never thought they would ever get close to the $3000 mark so consider my crystal ball cracked and blurry.

Good luck.
Old July 5, 2019, 05:51 PM   #20
shurshot

If Colt starts selling Pythons again, I wonder what the price point will be? Probably far less than most of the used ones!
Old July 5, 2019, 09:52 PM   #21
ms6852

I shoot mine frequently and everybody thinks I am crazy for shooting it. I have no safe queens. My philosophy is to enjoy the fruits of your labor, and I am not a collector. After all you wouldn't marry the love of your life and not consummate your marriage...would you?
Old July 6, 2019, 12:08 AM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepn35s
It's only unfired until you fire that first shot.

You paid a premium price for an unfired example, and the gun has been out of production for many years. It's not like you can find another unfired example at any Walmart. My vote would be to not shoot it.
Old July 6, 2019, 01:21 AM   #23
jmstr

Congrats and good luck.

A couple of resources for you, in case you haven't found them yet:

http://www.coltfever.com/

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/forum.php

Both are very helpful.
Old July 6, 2019, 10:55 AM   #24
Hillbilly357

Just a little Python trivia.
In 1976 I bought a 4" blue NIB Python for $228.00
Robert Blake made a movie called "Electraglide in Blue" featuring a blue frame Python with a nickel barrel and cylinder. Hate to admit it, but, yea I did...
Old July 6, 2019, 09:15 PM   #25
wild cat mccane

The Python hysteria is due to the Walking Dead.

As someone mentioned above, the 686 is going to last longer. The trigger is over hyped on the Colt. The mechanics are over hyped.

In terms of value...how's the Walking Dead doing?

I think we're past the peak where all were selling high.

Just my opinion. All of it's right though