The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old September 26, 2004, 05:12 PM   #1
indianbayouwoman

help identifying a Remington rifle

My dad asked for my help regarding a rifle that has been in my family for many years. It is a Remington Speedmaster 552. The numbers on the gun are 2.751.702 - 2.815.602 and the patent number is 2.675.638. There is also a symbol at the base of the gun along with the markings OP55. If anyone can help me with this orlet me know where I can get help with this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 26, 2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Help with what?
The Remington Speedmaster Model 552A came out in 1957 and was made for many years, don't know when they stopped. The 552C with a 21 inch barrel instead of 23 was made from 1961 to 1977. The 552BDL came out in 1967, same thing just with a fancier stock and sights like Remington centerfire rifles, and is still available. I don't know what those seven digit numbers are, but the OP55 might MIGHT include the Remington date code where "O" = July and "P" = 1967.
Old September 26, 2004, 05:43 PM   #3
indianbayouwoman

thanks

Thank you that was very helpful. I believe that those numbers are serial numbers. Do you know of any websites where I could find information on this gun such as how rare it is or how many were made. It seems that the man that sold it to my grandmother came to her after selling it and said that he made a mistake and wanted it back so my father thinks that it may be a rare gun. He wanted to make repairs to the gun, but didn't want to deface it's value if it was indeed a rare gun. Again, thanks for all the help.
Old September 26, 2004, 06:33 PM   #4
Jim Watson

A commercial USA made rifle is not likely to have two serial numbers. Some European guns are numbered on each part and are subject to having "mixed" numbers but few modern American guns. Certainly not if the two numbers are on the same part.

These are not rare guns, many thousands made over 40+ years, so I don't know why the seller wants it back after selling it to your grandmother. Some sentimental value in his family, maybe?

You might be able to find more information on Rimfire Central
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/
but there is not a lot of historical information on standard model .22 rifles like this.