The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 30, 2020, 08:45 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

JP trigger spring kit for ARs

I just installed the JP Enterprises Enhanced Reliability Trigger Spring Kit AR-15 3-1/2 lb on mil spec trigger group. It is supposed to be a 3 1/2 lb trigger when it is done.

The trigger group was a mil spec group from PSA. It weighed in at 7.5lb and had a bit of grit and creep. I took the trigger group out, and wiped everything down lightly with some oil just to clean it. I swapped the springs, it came with a trigger, hammer, and disconnect spring. After install it came in a 5.5lb, but the grit and creep were gone. I'm guessing the lighter springs reduced how much you could feel the grit and creep and possible my cleaning helped a little

Over all I feel like it significantly improved a mil spec trigger and for about $11 off midway I'm glad I bought it.
Old July 31, 2020, 03:50 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

I used the JP spring kits in two rifles, and they worked as advertised. The factory triggers were heavy, gritty, and negatively affected my ability to shoot well.
After $15 and 15 min of work I had acceptable triggers. Not great, but certainly acceptable.
Old July 31, 2020, 04:35 PM   #3
Kreyzhorse

I like PSA stuff, but their mil spec triggers, and every other mil spec trigger I've felt has room for improvement.

Sounds like a pretty quick and easy improvement without spending a ton of money on an after market drop in trigger.
Old May 6, 2021, 10:52 AM   #4
Shadow9mm

Just installed another JP Enhanced reliability spring kits in a co-workers rifle. Took it from about 6.9lb down to 4.9lb, a nice predictable 2lb reduction.

Still cant say enough good about the kit. At $11 its still the best bang for the buck trigger job for an AR IMHO.
Old May 15, 2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Joe-ker

Thanks. I think I will try. At 11$ it’s hard to go wrong.

I did see a comment that in cold temps one guy had too light of primer strikes.
Old May 15, 2021, 09:29 AM   #6
MarkCO

Maybe with CCI 41s, but with standard primers, I have never seen an issue with the JP kit.

Both of my "mil-spec" triggers have the JP spring kit in them.
Old May 15, 2021, 01:48 PM   #7
Geezerbiker

I'm still working on my first AR and it's far from done... Anyway I got the lower receiver kit from Midway. The trigger was heavy and gritty. So I do what I always do in that situation and that was to polish the mating surfaces with a very fine knife sharpening stone.

I'm now aware that I may have removed the surface hardening but I couldn't have take more than .001" inch off the trigger and sear. Right now the trigger is around 4 pounds and is smooth and crisp. It remains to be seen if I F'ed it up or not...

Tony
Old May 15, 2021, 04:08 PM   #8
MarkCO

Tony, just keep an eye on it. It might be fine, might have gone too far. 1000 rounds will let you know.
Old May 15, 2021, 07:49 PM   #9
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
I'm still working on my first AR and it's far from done... Anyway I got the lower receiver kit from Midway. The trigger was heavy and gritty. So I do what I always do in that situation and that was to polish the mating surfaces with a very fine knife sharpening stone.

I'm now aware that I may have removed the surface hardening but I couldn't have take more than .001" inch off the trigger and sear. Right now the trigger is around 4 pounds and is smooth and crisp. It remains to be seen if I F'ed it up or not...

Tony
I have tried taking stones to triggers before. It has always ended up in frustration some times with ruined parts. That's why I switched to the spring kits.
Old May 15, 2021, 08:45 PM   #10
Geezerbiker

I've been very successful or maybe just lucky but I always seem to make the trigger a little better.

My first trigger job was on my T99 Arisaka. At the time it was my only center fire rifle and the trigger was heavy and gritty. It's still a bit heavy but now it's way smoother. I was only after better not a perfect trigger pull and I was thrilled with the results.

Tony