The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 1, 2020, 01:18 PM   #1
Metal god

Is there match quality pistol/handgun bullets

The cartridge's I'm shooting are 9mm , 357 , & 45acp

I've been shooting a lot of steel at 50 and 100yds lately and it "seem" to me that the Rainier plated bullets are not the best thing for longer distances . I'll be shooting at a 10" gong at 100yds and either be hitting it or be very close and then miss by 6' right then bounce one 20' short or something . Just missing so bad I think it's the bullet rather then me . You know cus I'm so good

Do any manufactures make a match quality handgun bullet . Meaning putting the type of QC and consistency you would see with SMK . ELD match , Berger etc . I know some are better then others but I'm talking a true "match" ( for lack of a better word/term ) bullet ?

Now in general I was thinking jacketed or plated but would just switching over to pure lead or coated lead be a more consistent choice ? Since I started loading for my handguns I've avoided non-coated lead bullets but have recently started buying some pure lead or powder coated lead . Both with Br of 12 and 18 . It seems as I read about lead that guys tend to think and or know the softer lead bullets shoot more accurately . Is that accurate

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 1, 2020, 01:40 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Sure. Sierra Tournament Master bullets. Hornady HAP bullets actually shoot pretty well (though I am sorry they dropped their old 200-grain SWC, because it shot like a house on fire for me). Take a look at Nosler's flat nose FMJ's (really a truncated cone design).

If you don't want jackets, it gets harder. Beartooth makes good quality cast bullets, and there is the option to cast your own and learn to inspect and sort. That has always made the best cast bullets for my particular guns.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old April 1, 2020, 02:21 PM   #3
74A95

The folks on the Bullseye forum have a pretty good handle on 9mm and 45 bullets.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/

In the 45, Nosler and Zero 185 gr JHP bullets are favorites. And see this link: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...-shooter/99418

The 9mm bullets getting high marks are Hornady XTPs (all weights), and HAPs 115 and 125 gr, and Zero's JHP conical 115 and 125 gr. Rocky Mountain Reloading's FMJ FP Match Winners (all weights but there is more information on the 124 gr) are also producing small groups.

And check out the bullets used here: https://www.shootingtimes.com/editor...r-loads/326242

In general, you'll get better accuracy with JHP (flat point) bullets than FMJ (round nose) bullets. And jacketed outshoot lead.
Old April 1, 2020, 02:40 PM   #4
MarkCO

Yep, HAPs and Sierra TMs. Zero JHPs are better than most, but not as good as the HAPs and TMs.

I have shot cases of both and prefer the HAPs overall.
Old April 1, 2020, 04:43 PM   #5
rc

About any jacketed bullet will shoot better than plated even Remington and Winchester factory bullets. Often lubed hard cast lead will do better too. Hornady XTP bullets are really very good and my go to brand but I buy what's cheapest in quality bullets so I don't turn my nose up at Sierra or Nossler....
Old April 1, 2020, 10:40 PM   #6
Metal god

Quote:
Hornady HAP bullets actually shoot pretty well
Interesting , Those were the first bullets I ever used when I started reloading handgun ammo . I only bought 250 I think and never bought any more . Not because I didn't like them . It was likely either they were out when I needed more or I liked the price of plated better . I was new to handgun reloading and didn't even really test enough to see how accurate they were . At the time I just wanted my guns to cycle and not blow up lol .

They seem to be hard to find right now so I'll look again in a few months . I recently bought 5500 projectiles in 308 , 9mm , 357 , 45 and had plenty to load already so waiting should not be a problem . Especially since they closed our range down . Even to the range officers . Normally we would be able to go shoot even when closed but I guess one of the range officers took a large group of friends out to shoot . Generally that would be OK but there were to many shooters to have just one RSO there and they were not practicing social distancing . So they locked the range down for everyone . It only takes one to ruin it for the rest of us .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old April 2, 2020, 12:14 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Wilson Combat loads their own brand tournament ammo with the Hornady HAP projectile.
Jeepaholic
Old April 2, 2020, 12:47 AM   #8
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
and then miss by 6' right then bounce one 20' short or something
Since you mention .357 shall we assume that from a revolver?

In addition to the bullet construction and consistency, something else to consider is shooting a revolver. It is not at all unusual for a revolver to have one chamber that just shoots to a slightly different place than the others. I have a .45 Blackhawk like this, one chamber is just slightly "off". At close range that's 5 shots in one hole and one next to them. At 200yds, its 5 that hit the gong and one that is a foot off...
Old April 2, 2020, 05:17 PM   #9
SHR970

Quote:
It is not at all unusual for a revolver to have one chamber that just shoots to a slightly different place than the others.
Some shooters in certain competitive sports have those chambers marked and do not load them.
Old April 3, 2020, 07:17 PM   #10
Hammerhead

Yup, had an NM Blackhawk in 357/9mm.
The 357 cylinder would throw one high every time, finally marked that one.
The 9mm cylinder was more consistent.

Besides HAPs and XTPs for 9mm, 115 Silvertips are amazing out to 50 yards in my 1911.
In 357 most JHP's are very good, JSP's can be less accurate for some reason. And the Speer 357 125 TMJ was a pleasant surprise, shooting very well in my revolver.

45 Auto I like Nosler 185 JHP's for accuracy.