The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 31, 2020, 10:13 PM   #1
Smokescreens

new to me press. got a used dillon 1050 (small priming issue)

just picked up a super 1050 press for my rifle loading. so far i like it a lot for processing but when i load on it i have noticed a issue. i get a popping crunchy like sound when its priming. primers look fine but the noise cant be right.
i have taken it apart as much as i can but the bushing holding in the primer rod wont come out. is it reverse thread? i thought maybe it was not swaged enough but my go-no go says its a-ok and my other presses have primers gliding right in. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 31, 2020, 10:19 PM   #2
Smokescreens

ohh. i have tried cci and winchester primers with same result. my theory is the primer rod is interfering with the primer rod but i see no obvious damage to the parts.
Old March 31, 2020, 11:33 PM   #3
jag2

Obviously its hard to diagnose a sound. When I got my square deal it felt different and sounded different. I was used to Lee hand primer and Forster press. Hardest was the feel of pushing forward on the handle to prime, just didn't feel right. If they're coming out right, just monitor them very closely for a while until you get used to it. Try removing the brass so you can watch the primer come up.
Old April 1, 2020, 02:14 AM   #4
Smokescreens

i did try that. seams fine to me. not sure if its normal but the sound is only there when im seating a primer.
Old April 1, 2020, 06:19 AM   #5
DukeConnor

I can't help with your problem with a 1050 as I only have a 650 and a SDB but can offer a couple sources. One, obviously, call Dillon (if they're open).
Two, Brian Enos furum has a dillon forum. Lots of 1050 talk over there.

https://forums.brianenos.com/forum/7...ing-equipment/

Last edited by DukeConnor; April 1, 2020 at 06:24 AM.
Old April 1, 2020, 07:38 AM   #6
Smokescreens

thank you duke. i will likely call them today but i do find often that people sometimes have better answers than the manufacturer, lol. i have a rcbs rock chucker for special stuff or loads i dont do a lot of volume for. two dillon 650's and now the 1050. after i get the 1050 running like butter i might sell a 650.
Old April 1, 2020, 02:53 PM   #7
Smokescreens

well, i found the problem.i took the primer punch out of the press and low and behold the hole is still "as cast" the primer punch was scuffed to hell on the bearing surface. took a 3/8" end mill in my cordless drill to clean up the cast finish a bit. a rheem would be bette rim sure but i dont have that and a 3/8 mill is a far cry better option than a twist drill then wrapped some 2k grit sandpaper around a metal rod and used it to smooth the hole a little more. cleaned up the scuffs on the primer punch greased it and assembled everything. primed a few hundred cases and i could not hear any noise anymore. back on the phone with dillon. im gunna order a new punch and see what they might do about leaving the hole "as cast" my guess is if i left it alone they would have swapped it out even though i got the press used.

its a used press but it never ran a single round through it.