The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2020, 01:56 PM   #26
Dufus

I had a savage that had to go back for a re-barrel and it took 3 months and 4 days to get the rifle back.

Quote:
Doyle wrote:

Dufas, if he does indeed have a short chamber and since it is a Savage (user-adjustable headspace) can't he just turn the barrel out a tad to correct?
You could adjust with the barrel nut of course, but I am talking about a short chamber, not excessive headspace.
Old March 24, 2020, 02:19 PM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Headspace is adjustable in either direction (shorter or longer) by the barrel threads. There is a limit that depends on the chamber cut in the barrel to be correct not to leave too much of the case head unsupported, but for the few thousandths, we are talking about, unless he sees an expanded place beyond what a normal pressure ring on the case is like, it should not be a problem to do.

Factory repairs can be quick or slow. If a replacement part is needed and they are out of stock, they have to wait for the next scheduled run of the product to have any available.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 24, 2020, 05:48 PM   #28
ReloadKy

So i called kY gun company, I live close by and bought the rifle there. They offered to ship the rifle back to savage for me for a cost of $50. Is this about the same as it would cost me to ship it UPS / FedEx?
Old March 24, 2020, 06:51 PM   #29
Dufus

No, shipping was on Savage both ways when I shipped the one I sent back.

Uncle nick: I'm not arguing that moving in or out won't change, but it will change headspace. The chamber will still be the same......short.
Old March 25, 2020, 09:50 AM   #30
Unclenick
Staff

ReloadKy,

Dufus is correct. The repair return should be free. You don't need to go through a gun store or other FFL holder at all. There is a factory repair exception to the law requiring FFL transfers of weapons. It was carved out so gun owners would not be discouraged by cost from getting unsafe weapons made safe by the factory. It allows you to send a gun directly to the factory and for them to send it directly back to you. I have done this with two revolvers in the past. With handguns, the high cost of air shipping required by some carriers has made that more difficult in recent years, but rifles don't require that extra expense.

I was not aware Savage was handling shipping both ways, but apparently they are. You don't have to pay a nickel. Go to this web page. In the Support Category drop-down menu, select the last category, Technical Issue or Concern with Firearm. Fill out the rest of the page and submit it and Savage will get back to you. It has to be done by the form now because the virus safety measures have caused them to close their call center.

Dufus,

That's what I meant by not leaving too much of the case unsupported. With Savage's adjustable chamber position barrels, there will be a chamber reaming depth tolerance with some wiggle room in it. If the chamber us reamed shallower than that tolerance, a correctly set headspace will leave a gap between the bolt and the mouth of the chamber that is too big to safely support the cartridge case head when headspace is adjusted to maximum. In that instance, the unsupported portion of the case should be bulged on firing just forward of the head and be possible to measure. There should some visible sign of it. Perhaps the Winchester loads he fired will show it.
Old March 25, 2020, 01:19 PM   #31
Dufus

Unclenick: All my communications with Savage were by email. The lady would give me progress updates (once in a while, and only when I asked), plus the shipping label was sent in an email.

Reloadky: contact Savage before you do anything and they will send instructions. Since the one I was dealing with at the time was new, I was able to return it in the original box. It was shipped by UPS (United Parcel Service).
Old March 25, 2020, 06:56 PM   #32
ReloadKy

Thanks guys. When I was able to talk to someone on the phone yesterday morning (before they were shut down for the coronavirus) the guy on the phone said nothing about sending me a shipping label. However I put an email into them and I am going to wait on a reply from them before I send the rifle to them.
Old March 26, 2020, 08:24 PM   #33
Unclenick
Staff

Let us know how it turns out. I suspect the virus will delay everything.
Old March 27, 2020, 05:51 AM   #34
ReloadKy

Unclenick I still have not gotten a response from Savage.
Old March 27, 2020, 09:11 AM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

That is likely due to nobody being in the office because of the virus. I think a lot places will be playing catch-up for awhile.