The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 4, 2010, 03:16 PM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

reasonably priced source for 36 / 38 caliber custom diameter round balls ???

I'm going to be doing some popgun loads in 32 S&W & 38 S&W for a couple top break revolvers, I want to load lead round balls a median size that my my bores slug, the 32 is not a problem, but finding the right size 36 caliber / 38 caliber ball is proving to be more difficult...

since I won't be shooting a ton of these, but I want the most accurate load possible out of these old guns ( one is an old Hopkins & Allen Safety Police with a 6" barrel & custom period target grips ) I'm looking for a custom 2 ball mold in my optimum size determined by my bore slugs for the 38 S&W loads

any suggestions for cheaper priced custom diameter ball mold makers, that don't have 6 months of lead time ???

thanks...
Old January 4, 2010, 04:09 PM   #2
mac266

Why not get a mould and make your own?
Old January 4, 2010, 04:15 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

OK... how would I do that ???

I have a retired tool & die buddy that does alot of machining for me, & he makes his own bullet molds all the time, on his lathe but as far as making perfect little round balls, of a specific diameter, he thought that would be tougher, & if the ball is not reasonably round, it likely won't fly true... I'm open for suggestions
Old January 4, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
TomADC

Try this person, he does good work & his price & shipping.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66306
Old January 4, 2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the link TOM... the .360 ball will be close... I don't have a problem buying balls, as I have all the casting equipment ( inherited from my father in law ), but haven't gotten my feet wet with molten lead yet... or buying custom molds, as my buddy will cast a couple 100 for me from my lead, until I'm ready to make that plunge... I'm waiting for my last 38 purchase ( an old S&W 4th model "lemon squeezer" ) to get here, to decide just the ball size / mold size to buy, but I'm hoping to size everything as close to optimum as possible, if the bores turn out to be tight, & the .360 works, it would be great, but I expect .003 to .005 or so bigger as optimum size ???
Old January 4, 2010, 09:41 PM   #6
Hawg

Go too big and they wont chamber. Pure lead will obturate and fill the bore if it's reasonably close.
Old January 7, 2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Malamute

I believe Lee makes a .360" round ball mould. I'm planning on aquiring one for light loads in 38/357.

A little oversize in cartridge guns isnt much of a problem with soft lead, it may be more so with harder lead. I load .315" balls in 30-30 for grouse and small game loads (w/ 3 grs Unique, and a very small tuft of Dacron, balls lubed w/ Lee liquid Alox). The soft ball sizes down enough when loading that they chamber just fine. I expand and flair the neck with a Lyman M die in the 310 tool, then very lightly crimp just enough to close the neck up on the balls major diameter, and get a good enough grip that the balls wont come out.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 7, 2010, 10:52 AM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

I spent a while looking for molds available .360 any eye deer where I could find one ???
Old January 7, 2010, 03:00 PM   #9
okiefarmer

Mr Magnum,

LEE does make a DC mould in .360 if you check their site sometime. I have several of their ball moulds, and they cast as good a ball as any mould. I like it that there is no sprue nub on them like my steel molds cast.
Old January 9, 2010, 01:21 PM   #10
Gatofeo

Check out the Gad Custom Cartridges website at http://gadcustomcartridges.com/
If offers a bunch of cast bullets for obsolete calibers, including a good selection of pure lead balls for black powder arms or cartridges.
Lead balls of .360-inch are sold for $5 per 100. Balls of .308, .311 and .319 inch are also available for the same $5 per 100. That's a darned good price!
Loaded ammo for many civilian and military calibers is also offered by this Medford, Wisconsin outfit.
Old January 10, 2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks for the link... I've bookmarked it... BTW... I've been having a real "blast" the last couple days doing this with the 32 S&W... 0.5 grains of Trailboss & a 47-48 grain .315 Hornady round ball... this was my 1st test load, & my 1st try was with an old Hopkins & Allen exposed hammer double action top break, that I bought, that had been re-nickeled... standing at 10 paces, I easily shot an 8" - 5 shot group... this out of a 100 year old gun with a 3.5" barrel... how cool is that ??? I ran this test batch through 5-6 of my other top break 32's to test for gun function... it's looking like I can load these a bit hotter... maybe to 0.7 grains ???

I can't wait to do the same thing with the 38 S&W's... I have a 6" barrel Hopkins & Allen Safety Police, with factory target grips in 38 S&W, it has a nice barrel... it'll be interesting to see how that shoots with round ball light loads... I'm looking at a similar Iver Johnson in 32 S&W, which might shoot better than the other short barreled 32's ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; January 10, 2010 at 11:22 AM.
Old January 11, 2010, 11:41 PM   #12
Gatofeo

I load Hornady .310 lead balls in the .32 Long Colt, to shoot in my Marlin 1892. I also load heeled bullets for slightly longer range.
When I seat the ball, I seat it partly in the case because the inside diameter of a sized .32 Long Colt case is about .294 inch. After seating the .310 ball partyway, I turn the cartridge upside down and dip the ball -- right up to where it meets the brass -- in Lee Liquid Alox.
Then I place the cartridge right side up and let it dry overnight.
This eliminates leading.
You may wish to do the same, putting a little Lee Liquid Alox on the ball, then let it dry overnight.
Old January 12, 2010, 05:26 AM   #13
arcticap

I believe that Hornady has made .360 round balls in the past which aren't currently listed on their website so those may be a discontinued item.
I would think a factory swaged ball made from pure lead would be preferable to a cast ball for cartridge reloading because it wouldn't have a sprue and the ball would be more uniform.
Check out this site for computer designed custom molds and which lists a 10-12 week estimated lead time. I noticed that the outfit also has its own forum that the owner of the company participates in.

http://mountainmolds.com/

Last edited by arcticap; January 12, 2010 at 12:40 PM.
Old January 12, 2010, 07:31 AM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

GATO... I also use Alox on my 32 H&R magnum when I use cast bullets... I was thinking about painting a small ring around the joint between the case mouth & the ball ( like you would with nail polish if waterproofing a cartridge )... but the 32 caliber balls are so small, that even though I'm seating them at 1/2 way, & with just the slightest crimp, I might be better off to dip them as you suggested... I'm looking at doing a 32 Colt conversion on an old 30 rimfire pocket gun, if I decide to do it, it'll be with the .310 balls also...

ARCTI... I had been on that site several times when I was looking at .577 bullets... ( designing bullets with their bullet design program was really interesting ) but the cost for a round ball mould is pretty high... pretty decient for a custom 577 bullet though...

so right now I'm leaning towards just buying lead balls from one of the 2 sources listed in this thread in .360 for the 38 S&W, which so far I've collected the dies, & 100 starline cases... so after this next payday, I'll order another 200 cases & the balls, & should be in business for the 38 S&W as well...