The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2017, 03:32 PM   #1
Model12Win

Sig P220 Opinions?

I have the opportunity to buy a police trade in Sig P220 in .45 ACP in excellent condition for under $500.

From what I understand, it is an 8+1 pistol, like a 1911, but is DA/SA which I like and supposedly very reliable like most metal frame Sigs.

Interesting that these were law enforcement guns, I'd of thought the capacity would not be good enough compared to a Glock 21 etc. but I will be using it for range use only so it doesn't matter too much.

Anyone know anything about the Sig P220 in .45 ACP?
Old October 3, 2017, 03:53 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

Sig has a very good reputation for accurate and well built guns. I can see no down side to getting one for under $800. Under $500 is an acceptable price by any measure. 45 ACP has slightly more recoil than a 9mm but it is a lot less than a 357, which is what I carry.
You can load down for range fun and still have a gun capable of small groups at 25 yards. If I was interested in another auto I would not hesitate.
Old October 3, 2017, 04:00 PM   #3
WVsig

One of the finest DA/SA 45 ACPs ever made. Depending on condition $500 is more than fair. Many LEO over the years have carried P220s before LEO was dominated by tactical plastic.
Old October 3, 2017, 05:01 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

I bought a Browning BDA 45 in 1980.

It is the Sig P220 (early model what is now called the "European" model with the heel type magazine release) imported by Browning.

Not being a police officer, and not being interested in playing speed shooting games, it suits me just fine. I even replaced the 1911A1 with it as my carry gun.

it's light, accurate, eats everything, and has a good trigger. Even the DA isn't too bad, and mine "lightened up" considerably after a few years of use, with no work done on the gun at all, ever.

8 rnds might not seem like a lot in these days of 17+ polymer frame pistols, but it seemed to work well enough for earlier generations, and as I said, I'm not a cop, nor any longer a soldier. It's quite a good gun.

I paid $369 for mine, in 1980, new and the store threw in two boxes of Federal 185gr JHP ammo. It was an outstanding combination.

If you can get one in good condition under $500 today, buy it, before someone else does!!
Old October 3, 2017, 06:03 PM   #5
Fla_dogman

They're excellent pistols, I carried one for over ten years on the force. DA is stiff about 12-14 lbs, SA is sweet. I had mine nickled due to a lot of wear on the finish, today it still looks brand new.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old October 3, 2017, 06:26 PM   #6
muzzleblast...

The SIG P220 is my second favorite full size .45 ACP, right after the 1911. They are very nice pistols, and $500 seems to be a good price depending on condition, of course.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:32 PM   #7
TJB101

Buy it... great price, great gun.
Old October 3, 2017, 06:44 PM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

Great price. Not much more than what I paid for mine back in the late '80s. I carried one as a duty sidearm for years.
Old October 3, 2017, 07:02 PM   #9
TunnelRat

That's a very reasonable price. Used to the duty pistols of the state troopers in my state. A buddy of mine bought one of those pistols on trade. I owned one for a bit and really enjoyed it. Certainly worth owning and if you didn't like it you shouldn't lose anything at that price.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 3, 2017, 07:56 PM   #10
ritepath

Love my p220....my only remaining Sig at this time. No plans on it ever going anywhere.
Old October 3, 2017, 10:50 PM   #11
Model12Win

Thanks so much, gang. I think they look neat and I like the idea of a single stack .45 ACP that is not a 1911. I like my 1911s don't get me wrong, but I like my DA/SA Berettas and CZs better, and the Sig is more along the lines of those.
Old October 3, 2017, 11:06 PM   #12
Water-Man

I had one a number of years ago. Great gun, reliable, accurate and fit well in my medium large hand.

It's more than likely you'll enjoy it.
Old October 3, 2017, 11:26 PM   #13
BigJimP

220 model is a very nice gun...my preference is the all stainless in SAO ....over the typical DA/SA..../ ...but it still has a hinged trigger ...so it has never been a gun I favored over my full sized 1911's.

I gave mine to my oldest son...and he likes it & shoots it well.
Old October 4, 2017, 12:09 AM   #14
JERRYS.

i lucked out and got a P220 Elite DAO police trade in for a good price. the gun was marked CPO for Certified Pre-Owned after it was given the once over at the factory.
Old October 4, 2017, 02:54 AM   #15
bamaranger

duty gun

I walked beside an issued, stamped slide P220/.45acp for about 20 yrs, and was responsible for several more in my district as a SIG armorer. I also purchased one, and had it approved for duty carry, and did so on occassion. Still have my private purchase SIG P220.

I found my guns, and those others, to be reliable and accurate....I'd go so far as to say extremely accurate. I had some issues with magazines going south over the course of years, but once the culprits were identified and replaced, new mags ran fine. I even shot my P220 in local IDPA matches with my duty rig.

The SIG people described the P series guns as "wet" pistols, meaning keep them lubed (and clean of course). Normal clean and lube practices kept mine running fine. The P220 is a big handgun, which may or may not conceal easily depending on physique and garments. I started my carreer with a 6 shot revolver, .38 and later .357. My duty load with the revolver was 18 rds on my belt (two speed loaders and a 2x2 pouch) and 6 in the gun for 24 total.

When the P220 /.45 were issued, the 8 rd mags were not on the market. The initial load out was 7+1 in the gun, and two 7 rd mags in pouches on the duty belt for a total of 22 rds. That seemed a step backwards from 24 revolver rounds, and quad pouches for the auto pistol soon appeared that carried 4 mags. Shortly thereafter, the 8 rd mag appeared. I took to carrying 4 magazines in quad pouch for patrol. That brought the belt loadout to 9 rds in the autopistol and 32 rds on the belt for a total of 41. That load was heavy with all the other LE gear we carried, but comforting. The P220 was lighter than the old L-frame M686 revolvers, but with the 4 mag ammo load, the belt rig was heavier than the revolver days. I had a "dress" duty belt for court and other show appearances that stayed high polish, carried only two mags, no radio and only one set of 'cuffs, that was much more wearable, but not practical for patrol.

SIGS doublestack .45, the P227 hit the market just before I aged out. It was approved for patrol use, but not issue. Had I remained, I likely would have gotten one on private purchase. Not sure what issues that would have raised with holsters and pouches, the agency was fussy about such things.

Not sure what some of shis has to do with the OP, thanks for being patient as I remembered.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:43 AM   #16
Model12Win

Bamaranger, thank you for sharing! I appreciate the info! Do you remember what brand quad magazine pouch you used? I'd like to buy one, because I did in fact go ahead and buy the Sig P220. I got it from one of the police trade in/military surplus sites.

I am very excited!! I hear great things about this gun. Can't wait to get it!!
Old October 4, 2017, 05:14 PM   #17
L-2

For Post#16, when it comes to duty-gear, Safariland is commonly issued or bought for uniform use. Here's its quad mag holder webpage:
http://www.safariland.com/magazine/m...v101mbg66m6df8

Here's one from Blade-Tech:
https://shop.blade-tech.com/product_...3#.WdVdmEydnNA
Old October 4, 2017, 07:36 PM   #18
Troy800

I have a P220 and it is a great pistol. You wont regret it. Mine has several thousand round with no failures. Just make sure on the trigger, some police departments require DAK triggers instead of the DA/SA. $500 sounds like a good price and even better if it has sig night sights.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:30 PM   #19
Iron bottom

I have a 2008 P 220 Elite Stainless. It was one with the new model slide, and it only extracted occasionally. No fix of the extractor I ever heard of was adequate for me. YMMV. I forget it for a while.

I finally found a slide about a year ago and fitted a Barsto barrel. Later I ordered a short trigger reset kit and installed it. Well, the part that reset the trigger was getting caught by the trigger bar spring. I am trying now to get a different spring installed, but am not having any luck. SIGH.

Watch for the one with an internal extractor.
Old October 4, 2017, 08:35 PM   #20
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The P220 is a big handgun,
Its funny how opinions can vary. I always thought the P220 was a small handgun. Smaller and lighter than my GI 1911A1, so "small" in my opinion.

(and small does not equal "pocket pistol")
Old October 6, 2017, 10:43 AM   #21
AZGlock13

I used to have a P220ST and now have a P220 Combat. The P220 is truly a great pistol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sig_P220_Combat_2.jpg (91.6 KB, 30 views)
Old October 6, 2017, 02:03 PM   #22
lamarw

I bought a P220ST, ST refers to Stainless Steel, as a Scottsboro, Alabama Police Department trade-in back in Feb. 2012 for $556.00. It came with the blue plastic factory box, paper work and three magazines. It is a great pistol. You would never of believed it was a used firearm. I liked it so well, and still do, to the point I purchased bought a new P220 Nitron six months later for $573.00. It is not as attractive as the ST, but it is significantly lighter. In my opinion, there is hardly any recoil with either pistol and is only like a slight nudge.

I would highly recommend it especially at the price point mentioned in good mechanical and cosmetic condition.
Old October 7, 2017, 02:57 PM   #23
Model12Win

Gang I got my trade in P220 today:

It is in excellent condition for sure. Minor wear on the barrel and barrel hood and a few tiny rubs from holster wear. Other than that, it might as well be NIB. The rails and insides show barely any use. I doubt this one has been fired much at all, and is just in great shape! The date code indicates it was made in 1999 in Germany. Very cool!

It has night sights but they are almost out. I understand SIG will install new night sights and do a thorough tear down, cleaning, reinstallation of springs and replacement of worn parts for a nominal fee. I plan to get this service done in the near future after I move but if I had to guess this one should be fine as is. I'll be hitting the range in the next day or two. Can't wait!!

For under $500, I think I did good to get a classic German made SIG with the older style features that are appealing to me visually. I'm a happy boy!!
Old October 7, 2017, 10:17 PM   #24
disseminator

That is a sweet p220! Congrats.
Old October 8, 2017, 10:11 PM   #25
SA1911

Hi Model12Win,

The Sig P220 in .45 ACP is an excellent handgun. I'd buy it.