The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2018, 06:35 PM   #51
Yosemite Steve

My friend and I just went shooting last weekend and were both shooting 170gr. Sierra FP in front of Leverevolution. We used the Hodgdon recommended max load and both shot 2200 FPS out of our Model 94's. His gun had a scope and shot 4-6" groups. Mine has open sights and shot 6-8" groups. I'm happy. The nice thing about this powder is that it meters perfectly and max load is slightly compressed so it pretty safe to load. Every charge was exact to the tenth of a grain from my old RCBS powder measure.
Old October 13, 2018, 07:20 PM   #52
Sure Shot Mc Gee

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

Dupont Hand Loaders Guide for smokeless powders. (1986)

34 gr. charge of 4064 as written included the use of {jacketed} SPCl bullets.
However. To substitute a 170 gr Jacketed with {G/c cast of the same weight} is a decision the Home Reloader takes responsibility for when doing.