The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 22, 2018, 10:17 AM   #1
Jmc1898

Help identifying unknown K98k markings!

This is my first post after lurking around for some time. I picked this 98 up at a show not too long ago. I mostly bought it because it had some mystery. It has some markings that I have not ever seen before.

It's a 37 S/27 which made it's way into a laminate stock.
I refer to these pictures. Whatever that is on the stock next to the disc, I cannot find in any of my books, have not been able to find it online, showed it to some local gurus, I even emailed Ian at forgottenweapons to see if he knew what it is. Nothing. Also note that someone welded on another sling attachment to the rear band, be it bubba or postwar arsenal and the numbering on the driver side of the receiver and stock... So has anyone seen this before? Any help would be much appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG1778~3.JPG (231.8 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG1777~3.JPG (149.4 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg KIMG1775~4.JPG (240.6 KB, 57 views)
Old September 24, 2018, 08:52 AM   #2
mapsjanhere

Looks like a Russian capture with stripped number/stamps that were force matched. Prewar Erma 98k would have had the acceptance stamps right next to the serial number, and no number on the stock.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg erma 1937.JPG (23.0 KB, 196 views)
Old September 24, 2018, 12:18 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

"...made it's way into a laminate stock..." Lots of 'em used on pre-war "export" K98's. All the literally mint condition(friggin' things were still in the grease. Came with the matching bayonet too.) Portuguese contract(1938 or so) rifles we had in the shop, long ago, had laminated stocks.
"...welded on another sling attachment..." Highly unlikely to be Bubba. Same colours.
That's a bolt not a stock disk like those seen on Lee-Enfields.
Rummage around here. http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/gbkomen.html
Old September 24, 2018, 02:15 PM   #4
emcon5

You may want to join and post those photos here: http://www.k98kforum.com/forumdispla...he-Nazi-Period

Russian Capture didn't have the S/N stamp on the stock there, it would be on the butt.
Old September 24, 2018, 03:16 PM   #5
Jmc1898

Thanks for the replies and links I'll check them out. To be more clear; this symbol is what I'm talking about for the most part. Nobody seems to be able to identify it.

The scrubbing of certain markings, the style of really numbering the stock and receiver in that location, and that strange symbol I've never seen before. I'm trying to figure out who had this post war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KIMG1778~3.JPG (76.9 KB, 43 views)