The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 23, 2012, 11:23 PM   #1
Aristides

Belly Band Silenced: Light Bulb...Duh!

After buying a couple boxes of holsters over the past few years, I've come to realize that the belly band is the most versatile and comfortable way for me to carry both larger and smaller pistols. The only negative has been that it is noisy when I pull it off...the velcro makes that loud ripping sound. It's even noisy when I'm putting it on, because I often have to re-position it to get it just right.

Even though my family knows I carry, I don't like to call attention to it. I definitely don't like my 4 yr old grandson to notice it, and he's always underfoot. Finally, it bothers my wife when I come to bed late, and the ripping sound wakes her up as I get undressed.

Well, tonite it finally dawned on me...don't "rip" the velcro apart. Don't take it apart at all. Just pull the belly down, off my hips and down my legs, just like I'm taking off my underwear. The belly band stays intact, in the correct position, so there is no re-positioning when I put it back on. Just step into it, like putting my underwear back on.

Maybe this is how everyone else always does it, and I'm just a bit slow. Nevertheless, I thought I'd share this in case there is another idiot out there, who needs a little nudge towards the obvious.