The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 13, 2021, 08:32 PM   #26
bigalshootmupper

I've also signed up for 100's of ammo to be back in stock (only signed up for the cheap FMJ type ammo) and have not received one email. I have received notifications for other items, such as guns, to be back in stock, at a 30%+ mark up. I might pay a 30% mark up for ammo, but I don't get a chance. I did find some ammo at a 70% mark up (from the price a year or two ago) and I bought some.

It does make you wonder. All this ammo being made is not showing up anywhere. The ammo I see for sale is the match or non-cheap/non-range ammo. I've waited in line at the big box stores and the only ammo they get in is oddball stuff. I think the manufacturers are making only specialty ammo that has a high profit margin. Where is the regular FMJ cheap stuff? I'm usually not one to make snap judgment, but this doesn't make sense. Someone needs to explain where the cheap FMJ stuff is.

If they switched to making only match / HP / oddball that is fine, but don't act like everything is normal when it is not.
Old February 13, 2021, 10:21 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95
And I didn't check all their bullets.
Neither did I.

But a day or two ago I DID check every single .380 ACP, 9mm, and .34 ACP bullet on their web site, and they were all out of stock. Makarov? Yes, I knew they had some of those -- they sent me an e-mail telling me that.

Whoopee!

How about a caliber/cartridge/chambering that people actually need?
Jeepaholic
Old February 13, 2021, 10:50 PM   #28
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
Neither did I.

But a day or two ago I DID check every single .380 ACP, 9mm, and .34 ACP bullet on their web site, and they were all out of stock. Makarov? Yes, I knew they had some of those -- they sent me an e-mail telling me that.

Whoopee!

How about a caliber/cartridge/chambering that people actually need?
As I wrote earlier, just because they are out of stock when you check it does not mean they were not in stock during the interval between your checks.

This is a difficult time for handloaders with respect to components, especially popular components. You're not the only person having trouble finding what they want. Whining won't change that.

Can you find your desired product elsewhere? Midway seems to have some Berry's pistol bullets in stock. Can you find substitute products elsewhere? Adapt. Change your shooting habits. Put in an order where they take backorders. You know, just like everyone else has to do in the current situation.
Old February 14, 2021, 12:31 AM   #29
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74A95
Can you find your desired product elsewhere? Midway seems to have some Berry's pistol bullets in stock. Can you find substitute products elsewhere? Adapt. Change your shooting habits. Put in an order where they take backorders. You know, just like everyone else has to do in the current situation.
You're missing the point. I am (or was) a Berry's customer, not a Midway customer. If Berry's would rather sell bullets to Larry Potterfield than to their [formerly] loyal customers of many years standing, then they're not the company I thought they were and not a company I care to continue to do business with. The fact that I can find bullets (maybe even their bullets) elsewhere doesn't change the fact that they have abandoned their customer base.
Jeepaholic
Old February 14, 2021, 02:18 AM   #30
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
You're missing the point. I am (or was) a Berry's customer, not a Midway customer. If Berry's would rather sell bullets to Larry Potterfield than to their [formerly] loyal customers of many years standing, then they're not the company I thought they were and not a company I care to continue to do business with. The fact that I can find bullets (maybe even their bullets) elsewhere doesn't change the fact that they have abandoned their customer base.
Again. you're making bold statements. They are selling bullets from their website, as shown in the links I posted. The fact that they happen to be out of stock when you happen to check for your specific bullets does not mean they aren't selling those bullets from their website or that they have abandoned their customer base. In order to claim that, you would have to show that they aren't selling bullet from their website, but, see above, or that they have a specific intent to stop sales from their website and only sell to dealers like Midway. Have they told you that is their goal, or are you just doing the conspiracy theory thing? Honestly, your response is starting to sound delusional.
Old February 14, 2021, 02:37 AM   #31
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The fact that I can find bullets (maybe even their bullets) elsewhere doesn't change the fact that they have abandoned their customer base.
They didn't cause the panic. They aren't maintaining the panic. They are making and shipping bullets and you could even buy some if you wanted to--just maybe not exactly the way you want to.

Anyone trying to buy ammo or components right now is frustrated. Blaming the suppliers is easy because they're big targets. But they aren't the problem and they aren't the solution either.
Old February 14, 2021, 07:51 AM   #32
Logs

Red Carts were full of ammo today at Cabelas in Louisville and Lexington Ky today, but tons of folks buying. Today was first day I saw .243 and 308 hunting ammo. 9mm was $14.99. I was able to get some 9mm and 308 today, but as mentioned above people were buying everything in sight. Only ammo I see at Walmart now is stuff like 300 Win mag. One local shop yesterday had tons of ammo, but at pretty high prices. It's going to be wild for a while longer I am afraid.

Old February 14, 2021, 08:51 AM   #33
gaseousclay

Another thing to consider, it’s likely that the US military has contracts with various ammo companies and are also buying it by the boatload. That’s my assumption anyway. Any ideas who the military gets their ammo from?
Old February 14, 2021, 09:25 AM   #34
ghbucky

Quote:
Any ideas who the military gets their ammo from?
Lake City

Lake City produces primers, cases and bullets.

Here is more detail on their operation

Last edited by ghbucky; February 14, 2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old February 14, 2021, 03:01 PM   #35
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Only ammo I see at Walmart now is stuff like 300 Win mag.
A couple years ago the people running WalMart decided to show their "coporate virtue" by no longer carrying (most) pistol ammo and ammo for the carbines "most often used in mass shootings"...

What that meant was that they will keep selling those rounds, until their stocks run out, but will not be ordering any more. Traditional "sporting rounds" will still be carried, but if WalMart Corporate feels a round is used to shoot people instead of deer or bunnies or birds, they aren't going to stock it.
Old February 14, 2021, 09:02 PM   #36
imp

If people could stop panic buying, there would be ammo everywhere. The winter months should have helped "flatten the curve" because the weather has stopped people from hitting the range, but it hasn't. Every time a box hits the shelf it disappears into someones stash, and wont see the light of day for years.
Old February 14, 2021, 09:24 PM   #37
FITASC

There is a podcast by the head of Fiocchi USA where he states that just filling current orders will take them 9 months to catch up. They are adding another metallic facility and their production went from 102 million rounds to ~142 million and they still can't catch up. Their warehouses are empty as everything they make is already sold.
This is NOT going to be over anytime soon. Hopefully Remington coming back online under Vista well ease some of the shortages.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 14, 2021, 09:43 PM   #38
Desmosedici

With all due respect, it is precisely this mentality that is continually contributing to this problem. If you don't really need any, as you state, then what in the world is two more boxes going to do?

I don't understand this at all.
Old February 14, 2021, 11:11 PM   #39
imp

Supply>Demand=Availability
Supply<Demand=Shortage

If the complaint is lack of availability, the options are to increase production or decrease demand. Even a pause in demand would allow production to catch up.

Hope that helps...
Old February 15, 2021, 01:20 AM   #40
BourbonCowboy

I have another theory, based upon a theoretical model proposed to me by a former colleague. I worked with him years ago at the Corps of Engineers. His theory was about the lack of ducks during hunting season.

In summary, he believed that previously (10 years prior) that the wetland habitat was disappearing and that migrating ducks flocked to the few wetland areas that were available and duck hunters reaped the benefits. As wetland projects expanded (along with the habitat) ducks had more options, and as a result, did not descend on the same hunting plots as in previous years. The result was a perceived lack of ducks.

My theory is this: The ammo shortage is real, but there are a lot more online retailers placing orders with manufacturers today than there were just a few years ago. These manufacturers are honoring orders with the smaller retailers in the order that they were received (an honorable business practice), and therefore diluting large-scale ammo availability. So, while I believe that there is an ammo shortage, I believe that until supply satisfies the demand for the larger retailers, smaller retailers will be free to keep the prices inflated.

Why do I subscribe to this theory? Well...I've been able to find name-brand ammo on occasion at places that I've never heard of. I've had to Google the retailer to find out (usually unsuccessfully) if the retailer was legit. After I place and receive a small order, I check back to (usually) find that they're out of stock.

Of course, this is just my theory. I could be wrong.
Old February 15, 2021, 03:17 AM   #41
Carl the Floor Walker

A dark Ominous cloud moved into America and then brought havoc on the Country. No, it was not a Earth Quake, a series of tornado's or any other Natural disaster. It was a terror movement, the likes of which we have never seen in this Country. It bought destruction to thousands of business's, took cities hostage, destroyed property to the tune of billions of dollars, brought death and Mayhem. It set out to destroy our Heritage, every thing that stood as honorable in the Country. It had the ability to destroy the numbers of Police that protect the citizens from Crime and Criminals, the very element which was the storm itself. Walk down a city street that was hit by this storm and see the carnage it did. Talk to a Business owner that woke up one day and have him tell you the shock of seeing his life long business wiped out over night and watch him weep and wonder how he was now going to support his family.
This storm had and has more strength that any natural disaster. He brought in a cancer that would cause the victims to be banned, censored from even having a voice to dare say anything about it.
Yes, the American citizen became a creature of fear. They started to search for ways to protect themselves from the Carnage that is growing more every day and in so many different paths. They have started to plan for that protection.
These people are purchasing Guns and ammo in record numbers. WHY? Figure it out, they know if they do not get protection NOW, the Terror leaders will eventually take away that protection just like they are doing to the Police.
People say the US cannot actually have a civil war. Really? We are in one now and it is growing. And yes people are scared and they should be. But more importantly they should be Prepared. And being Prepared means buying defensiveness tools for the future. Guns and ammunition.
The Terror groups that are in power now are going to do every thing to take away any protection you have. And Americans are fully aware of this. Yes, there is a ammo shortage. America is preparing for this and the PROTECTION they will need for both family, business, home and Country.
The real reason of WHY there is a Ammo Shortage. It is fear, but a very justifiable and real fear from a very serious threat.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; February 15, 2021 at 03:27 AM.
Old February 15, 2021, 03:28 AM   #42
BourbonCowboy

Yeah...you just went full tinfoil on that one.
Old February 15, 2021, 07:41 AM   #43
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BourbonCowboy View Post
Yeah...you just went full tinfoil on that one.
Lol,People have not set a record number of firearm sales each and every month because lack of a Duck Hunting Season. Some even believe none of the rioting existed or as they say "mostly Peaceful Protest". I am sure CNN would say I wear a tin hat. And come up with a cockamamie theory with Ducks and their erratic behavior because of the Tides as the cause of ammo sales. Quack Quack.
Old February 15, 2021, 09:01 AM   #44
rickyrick

A lot of people that I know never owned a gun before New Year’s Day 2020... by New Years 2021, these people now own ARs and are now begging for ammunition.
Many have lost their livelihood, and are now being described with the same terminology by members of the government and citizens as enemy combatants merely for casting a ballot.
You go to any government facility from the DMV to the Capitol, they have separated themselves from the citizens using plexiglass, walls, concertina wire and troops.
I myself have experienced almost nightly riots for the past five years. I cannot display the flag of USA without worry of violence, vandalism or arson.
In my 4 mile drive to work every morning, most of the route is lined with homeless camps. Most every park, walking trail are filled with tents, trash, feces, heroine needles and addicts.

I could go on and on, but something is definitely amiss in our country. Some people are still insulated from all of it surrounded by a false sense of security being in Red state sanctuaries.

The difference from previous panics: previously people would panic buy under threat of more regulation... this time, people are buying out of genuine fear of the unknown future that they face.
Old February 15, 2021, 11:03 AM   #45
gaseousclay

Quote:
A lot of people that I know never owned a gun before New Year’s Day 2020... by New Years 2021, these people now own ARs and are now begging for ammunition.
Many have lost their livelihood, and are now being described with the same terminology by members of the government and citizens as enemy combatants merely for casting a ballot.
You go to any government facility from the DMV to the Capitol, they have separated themselves from the citizens using plexiglass, walls, concertina wire and troops.
I myself have experienced almost nightly riots for the past five years. I cannot display the flag of USA without worry of violence, vandalism or arson.
In my 4 mile drive to work every morning, most of the route is lined with homeless camps. Most every park, walking trail are filled with tents, trash, feces, heroine needles and addicts.

I could go on and on, but something is definitely amiss in our country. Some people are still insulated from all of it surrounded by a false sense of security being in Red state sanctuaries.

The difference from previous panics: previously people would panic buy under threat of more regulation... this time, people are buying out of genuine fear of the unknown future that they face.
re: the current climate in the US, i'd say the pandemic was a perfect storm for the increase in violence, homelessness, panic buying, etc. Millions are out of work, rents/home prices keep going up, stagnating wages, etc., have led to an overwhelming sense of hopelessness and desperation. Social media isn't helpful either. I do not like what I see but I understand why it's happening.
Old February 15, 2021, 06:15 PM   #46
Twinsig

I was killing time at basspro today and during a conversation with the employees I learned that last Saturday they had a substantial ammo shipment and people drove from as far as north and south Carolina! The line went down the stairs and to the parking lot for 7 hours.
Old February 15, 2021, 07:23 PM   #47
FITASC

So how did all those folks from those distances learn about it?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 15, 2021, 08:45 PM   #48
NobodyJones

I smile at this ammunition and gun buying frenzy just like the last ones we've lived through. My ammunition buying plan was simple and started long before the panics hit. Every paycheck I went and bought ammunition. Usually either a couple boxes of pistol ammunition, or a brick or 2 of .22lr, or a couple of boxes of rifle ammunition. By the time the Obama panic buy hit I was pretty well set. I was still out shooting pretty regularly. From Obama until now I would bet I haven't bought 10 total boxes of ammunition.

If it started appearing again regularly, and the price wasn't insane, I would go back to my old plan. Even if the store would let me I wouldn't empty the shelf of my particular caliber. Why? Because I don't need to and all it does is add to the shortage.