The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1
BConklin

I couldn't find an ROA holster that I liked..

so I decided to make one..

I've never done any leatherworking before but I figured it might be something I'd enjoy...I was right!

I found there's a Tandy store not too far from me so I went up there, bought some leather and some tools et voila!

a hand-made-from-scratch, calfskin lined, custom fitted field holster for my favorite gun!

The outer layer is 8 ounce oak tanned cowhide, the inside is 2 ounce calf and the holster is hand stitched throughout. From tracing and modifying a template on manila folders to burnishing the edges on the finished holster represents a whole bunch of hours of work but I thoroughly enjoyed the process.

Though there are a few mistakes I'm quite happy with the outcome... especially since it's my first attempt. It's not bad looking at all. It's quite rigid and fits the gun perfectly and I think it'll do the job nicely.

I went a little overboard buying leather so I plan to keep busy making several more holsters this winter. Come spring, maybe I'll have a custom holster for every pistol I own.

Here's some pics.

Old January 17, 2011, 11:51 PM   #2
Hardcase

Give yourself a hearty pat on the back because that is a fine job!
Old January 18, 2011, 12:24 AM   #3
denster

For a first holster that is phenominal. I make holsters as a retirement business and I am impressed.
Old January 18, 2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Roaddog

Ya did a very nice job. I would of never known that was your first if you wouldn't of said so. Don't stop now.
Old January 18, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5
napp

Nice work. I especially like the color you chose. The contrast between the grips, the stainless pistol, and the holster makes for a perfect combination.
Old January 18, 2011, 11:49 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

That's a first attempt? Good God, man, that is incredible! The only mistake I see is it was a little wide at the top, but your long backstitch to make it work actually looks like an intentional decorative touch. I know people who have been doing this for forty years, myself included, who certainly couldn't do any better. Congratulations!

SASS 47015
Old January 18, 2011, 11:55 AM   #7
aarondhgraham

Nice job,,, Very nice indeed,,,,,

Especially for your first holster ever.

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 18, 2011, 12:27 PM   #8
BConklin

Thanks Folks!

JBar - that's a good example of a small mistake at the beginning carrying all the way to the end. In this case, apparently I didn't trace the gun outline carefully enough.

OTOH - even with the excess width AND a piece of 10 ounce leather placed in between the front and back there as a filler, there's just enough room for the trigger guard. It pushed the holster apart so much the glue on the filler gave out on the inside edge. The long back stitch was added to hold the filler in place better - and to add strength to the holster at a stress point

Next time - more accuracy in tracing the outline - and more filler at the trigger guard?
Old January 18, 2011, 12:59 PM   #9
madcratebuilder

WOW, just WOW, your first one, WOW.
Old January 18, 2011, 01:06 PM   #10
Jimmy10mm

If you had posted that you had bought a professionally made custom holster I would have believed it without question from looking at the photos. A really fine job regardless of your "mistake". No one would know that if you hadn't told us.
Old January 18, 2011, 01:09 PM   #11
swcr

Great job. I wish my first holster had looked anywhere near that good.
Old January 19, 2011, 11:05 PM   #12
BConklin

showed it over on a leatherworker's forum and they wanted to see the edge of the main seam.

So I took these pics...

They suggested the holster needed edge burnishing.

All sorts of different methods are recommended there - but I used files, sandpaper, spit, beeswax, a dremel tool with a sanding drum and a felt wheel, an old piece of turned ivory and plenty of elbow grease.

After that the whole holster was lightly sprayed with a sealer (Mop & Glow and water) then lightly waxed with Kiwi neutral and buffed with flannel..

and here's the finished product...

Old January 19, 2011, 11:28 PM   #13
bedbugbilly

WOW!!! You did a fantastic job on the holster . . . and you should be very, VERY proud of your final result. She's a nice one! I make holsters and accouterments and I'll tell you, if that is your first holster, you did some excellent craftsmanship on it!

If you haven't already run across it - hit the link below and it will take you to the leatherworking forum over at cascity - lots of good information there.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/ind...oard,57.0.html

Now that you've made your first one - I can tell you that it is "habit forming" - just like shooting SA. Once you make a holster for everyone of your shootin' irons . . you'll make another holster and then have to buy another gun to fit it . . . and it just snowballs from there!

Thanks for sharing your story and photos - good luck with the leatherwork - am looking forward to seeing other photos of your work!!!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 19, 2011, 11:29 PM   #14
jimbob86

Very Nice, Very Nice!
Old January 20, 2011, 09:33 AM   #15
BConklin

Thanks guys - it did turn out much better than I expected.

I had a notion I was going to like leatherworking so I bought a pile of leather even before I got going on this one. I have plenty leftover to keep me busy and I already have some cool ideas I want to try on my next project.
Old January 20, 2011, 12:14 PM   #16
Fingers McGee

Beautiful work there BConklin. You should be very proud of the holster.

FM
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old January 20, 2011, 10:46 PM   #17
Dave Cole

I would have to agree with all the others.I am a holster maker and that is an excellant job even for a seasoned vet.Glad you cleaned up the edge,as it makes a world of difference.Dave
Old January 20, 2011, 10:56 PM   #18
Bill Akins

Beautiful job! You have some nice leather making skills. I would never have guessed that was homemade. It looks factory made. Probably is better since you made it for yourself and took pains with it.
Old January 21, 2011, 10:25 AM   #19
BConklin

Thanks again folks!

I was up till 1 this morning laying out the template for my next project - another hunter-style holster for a bull barrel Ruger Mark II