The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 12, 2008, 05:49 AM   #1
Patriots

#00 with 9 pellets or 12 pellets?

What's the best shotshell and amount of pellets for home defense for a 12 gauge? I'm thinking of a 2 3/4 size shell in #00 with either 9 pellets or 12 pellets. On Federal's website they show the #00 with 9 pellets to have a muzzle velocity of 1325 and the 12 pellet shell to have 1290 in muzzle velocity. Is that a huge difference in stopping power? I live alone so I'm not worried about over penetration.
Old May 12, 2008, 08:45 AM   #2
mikenbarb

The more the better.

#4 Buckshot with 54 pellets in a 3 1/2" round. Heck of alot more pellets to hit the target with than 00.
Old May 12, 2008, 08:55 AM   #3
rantingredneck

Typically heavier payloads = heavier recoil.

9 pellet 00 is gracious plenty. I save my 3 1/2" ammo for deer, personally.

The most important thing is what you shoot the best, the second most important thing is what your shotgun patterns the best.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Rampant_Colt

You're not going to be shooting over great distances, so there's no need for high-velocity, 12 pellet magnum loads, or even 3" magnums. They simply aren't necessary. The extra pellets represent a liability.
Low recoil 00 and 000 buckshot is unmatched for your needs. If you're concerned about overpenetration use number 4 buckshot. If you're not prepared to use buckshot or slugs, a shotgun's probably not for you.

Federal Flite-Control reduced recoil Tactical buck produces the tightest patterns available. Look into some of that. Most of the -Mart and major retail outlet bulk BS ammo is unbuffered and probably won't pattern well in your gun unless you check for patterns to prove that out.

I doubt the bad guy will be able to tell the terminal difference between a 12-pellet and 9-pellet buckshot load. In fact, I'll wager that my 9-pellet low recoil loads will kill the bad guys just as dead, just as quickly, while providing better patterns, faster follow-up shots, more ammo capacity, and easier for anyone in the family to use.

Like rantingredneck said:
Your concerns should be about what you shoot well, practicing, and where your patterns are clustered and the buckshot will do the rest.
Old May 12, 2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Unknown Soldier

What is the difference between 3" and 2 3/4" in a home defense application? Is the difference negligible, or significant?
Old May 12, 2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier
What is the difference between 3" and 2-3/4" in a home defense application? Is the difference negligible, or significant?
In what capacity?

Magnum loads recoil a LOT more than reduced recoil loads do.

Magnum shotshells simply aren't necessary for the reasons i listed above. If all you have are magnum, or 3" mags, just choose your shots carefully.

Buckshot is relatively inexpensive from places like ammotogo.com and Natchez, so there's no reason not to have it loaded in your shotgun.

FWIW - i like Aguila Mini-Slugs in my 1300 Defender - 11 rounds with .72 dia 385gr @ 1250 FPS. The flat meplate punch clean wadcutter holes in the black past 25 yards
Old May 12, 2008, 07:27 PM   #7
Boris Bush

Rampant_Colt

You pretty much said what I was thinking. I just got done testing buckshot and even though some are rated the same as the next brand, recoil and muzzle blast will differ, greatly sometimes.

Get out and shoot some 3" compared to 2.75s and you will notice the difference........
Old May 13, 2008, 08:58 AM   #8
mikenbarb

You wont even notice the recoil with your adrenelin pumping.