The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 10, 2013, 07:21 PM   #76
Winchester_73

Quote:
I would never call myself an expert either and wouldn't respect anyone who did. There's a hell of a lot I don't know and haven't done and I recognize that. The experts are the ones that write the books, I just read them.
Well hey, while we are on the subject of books, what books have you gotten on revolvers or pistols in the last year? You mention you've spent a lot on them in the last year or so. I myself am looking for the Bob Best book on the Colt DA revolvers. I also just got the S&W American Model by Pate, which I like so far.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:45 PM   #77
newfrontier45

I managed to practically steal a signed copy of Bruce McDowell's book "A Study of Colt Conversions and Other Percussion Revolvers" for $60, still sealed in plastic, which usually goes for over $200.

Walter Smith's book "Pistols & Revolvers".

"Shooting" by J.H. Fitzgerald.

"Magnum: the S&W .357 Magnum Phenomenon" by Timothy Mullin.

A leatherbound version of Ed McGivern's book.

Skeeter Skelton's "Good Friends, Good Guns & Good Whiskey".

Mike Venturino's "Shooting Sixguns of the Old West".

Walter Winan's "The Modern Pistol and How to Shoot It".

Charles Suydam's "U.S. Cartridges and Their Handguns 1795-1975".

Mark Hampton's "Handgun Hunting".

Tim Mullin's "Handbook of Handguns: A Comprehensive Evaluation of Military, Police, Sporting and Personal-Defense Pistols".

"Big Bore Revolvers" by Max Prasac.

"Fine Colts: The Dr. Joseph A. Murphy collection" by R.L. Wilson.

"Black Powder Long Arms & Pistols: Reproductions & Replicas" by Dennis Adler.

Plus a bunch on history, Indian beadwork, leatherworking, politics and ancient philosophy. Now if I can just find the time to read them all.
Old June 10, 2013, 07:49 PM   #78
newfrontier45

Quote:
What is a "1950 target"?
A pre-model 24.
Old June 10, 2013, 08:15 PM   #79
Winchester_73

Quote:
Quote:
What is a "1950 target"?
A pre-model 24.
They were also in 45 colt or 45 acp, and were the pre 26, with the lightweight taper barrel. The model 1955, aka pre model 25 were the heavy barrel variants, in 45 colt or 45 acp.
Old June 10, 2013, 11:16 PM   #80
PzGren

This thread has just ever so slightly veered away from "Korth Firearms" over the last two pages.

Winchester 73,

I have previously admired the quality of your gun collection. I am impressed by the selection and knowledge that went into building up your collection, making it more than a mere accumulation of guns.

I had shot Korth revolvers owned by affluent friends a long time ago and it took me over two decades to find mine and I found it for a laughable price. When I compare the quality of my 1969 Korth to the quality of the few registered Magnum that I had inspected and handled, there are still differences. The Korth has the trigger on a bearing, making the characteristics absolutely unique. The bluing is very wear resistent and the metal finish is flawless inside and out. I would give a slight advantage to my early Korth, over the registered Magnums. Unfortunately I do not call one my own and my love for K-frames will probably preclude me from that investment.
Old June 11, 2013, 12:49 AM   #81
Winchester_73

Quote:
Winchester 73,

I have previously admired the quality of your gun collection. I am impressed by the selection and knowledge that went into building up your collection, making it more than a mere accumulation of guns
Previously admired? Meaning you don't anymore? That's ok if you feel that way Or did you mean from seeing my posts from before? Thanks for the compliment, if that is what you meant.

Quote:
I had shot Korth revolvers owned by affluent friends a long time ago and it took me over two decades to find mine and I found it for a laughable price. When I compare the quality of my 1969 Korth to the quality of the few registered Magnum that I had inspected and handled, there are still differences. The Korth has the trigger on a bearing, making the characteristics absolutely unique. The bluing is very wear resistent and the metal finish is flawless inside and out. I would give a slight advantage to my early Korth, over the registered Magnums. Unfortunately I do not call one my own and my love for K-frames will probably preclude me from that investment.
Interesting, although I am not surprised by your findings. The RM has the disadvantages of being the first 357 magnum (1935 vs 1969, in this example) and having manufacturing technology which was 34 years older, in this scenario. Of course, me and you both want one, as do many others, just because...because it was first, because its distinguishing to own in a collection, because its beautiful, because of the craftsmanship, the history, the investment aspect, and because its just cool, period.

We can change a few words of the light saber quote from Star Wars Episode IV to make it about the RM:

Quote:
Not as clumsy or random as a semi (pistol)...an elegant weapon, from a more civilized age...
Old June 11, 2013, 08:30 AM   #82
PzGren

I actually meant that I have followed your posts for a while and noticed them previously. It was pretty late when I wrote it and I want to make it clear, that I continue to admire the research and care that you are putting into your collection. Brian (BAC1023) is also very methodical in his collection of firearms and is spending a lot of time to build a truly remarkable collection. I am just a shooter whose best competing days are over and who has an accumulation of guns and weapons.
Old June 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #83
s3779m

Meant to say before, thanks for the pics. Dont know if I would have ever seen one otherwise. It is one great looking gun.