The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 4, 2010, 02:34 PM   #1
rodwhaincamo

Varmint Worthy?

How well would AMax or BTHP Match bullets work on varmints in intermediate cartridges such as the 5.56mm NATO heavier weights (68-77) to the 6.5mm Grendel or 6.8mm SPC?
Old March 4, 2010, 03:01 PM   #2
10-96

Most match bullets aren't designed to esplode or expand or anything else a varmint bullet is designed to do. BC, accuracy, and all else is close and compareable between say, A-Max's and V-Max's. BUT even varmints deserve a decent quick death and not linger after being shot-through with a non-expanding/exploding bullet.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 4, 2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Scorch

I don't think the varmints will be able to tell the difference. The main difference will be ricochets from the target bullets.
Old March 4, 2010, 04:20 PM   #4
rodwhaincamo

I thought that the military has found that BTHP match bullets fragment very well at higher velocities. But I wasn't sure about how they'd do against small critters, mostly coyotes.
I was hoping they would work well so that I could keep my ammo of similar weight/performance. I wouldn't use anything that didn't kill well.
Old March 4, 2010, 07:14 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

"...keep my ammo of similar weight..." Most bullet makers make match and varmint bullets of the same weight. Hornady, for example, makes a 52 grain A-Max and a HPBT. 55 grain A-Max and an SP. Match bullets are good for small game and fur hunting coyotes. Like Scorch says, neither will know or care what bullet kills it.
No varmint bullet explodes. They expand rapidly.
Old March 4, 2010, 10:55 PM   #6
rodwhaincamo

Were I to go with a .223 I would want a 1:8 twist to use 68-75 grn bullets.
Old March 4, 2010, 11:16 PM   #7
duckslayr

http://www.6mmbr.com/223rem.htmlSierra's loading data for the AR-15 states that it dosen't recommend HPBT's for hunting, doesn't say why, or what they're hunting for.
Old March 5, 2010, 11:00 AM   #8
rodwhaincamo

Thanks for the info guys. I was under the impression that match bullets had thin, somewhat fragile jackets, and would fragment easily making them viable bullets for little critters.
The coyotes and I thank you much!
Old March 5, 2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Interesting about the Sierra comment. Way back when, I used their 52-grain HPBT in my Swift, to the ruination of several feral cats out around 300 yards. DRT.

In a .223, most anybody's 50-grain to 55-grain soft points do the horribles to jackrabbits and coyotes. Close-in, GI stuff comes all unglued.
Old March 6, 2010, 02:09 PM   #10
10-96

For years, I've always relied on the .223 V-Max's, but a couple of years ago I bought a batch of Midsouth's Varmint Nightmares in 55gr flavor and they do quite well. With Varget, I haven't had to adjust powder or primer load and I still manage very acceptable groups from my CZ 527 and my FrankenAR. They're a good bargain. http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...nightmare2.asp

I've also seen the Sierra warning about using their match grade ammo on various forms of critterage. But, I also recall somebody saying something about somebody's match ammo having very thin jackets as well. I wonder about that because today's faster twists and higher pressures would spin apart a thin jacketed bullet- Wouldn't it?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old March 6, 2010, 11:35 PM   #11
Fat White Boy

I use 52gr BTHP MatchKing bullets on my .22-250. If you want the hide, don't use them. If you want them dead, they work great....
Old March 7, 2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Jobfix

Hornady A-max

Hornady .224~75gr A-max have been devastating on PD's for several years. I shoot them at 3100fps from a 1:8" twist barrel. They seem to shoot well in windy conditions and I have made decisive kills from 200 to over 500yds. Have never wanted to try Sierra Match Bullets because they're of a different design (no polycarbonate tip).
Old March 8, 2010, 05:13 PM   #13
HAMMER1DOWN

that GI stuff does do quite the number on critters up close, I wok in the supply room/ Armory at my unit and get around 200 rounds that are left over after Qualifying and just you is out of my AR on gopers and stuff and its a 61.7 grain FMJ and still flys apart at close range, just something for ye to chew on...
Old March 8, 2010, 10:57 PM   #14
mrawesome22

I figured match bullets would work quite well on varmints. I always thought match bullets had thin jackets as not to ricochet? A fellow on a coyote hunting DVD of mine uses the Hornady 52gr HPBT Match much to the dismay of many a coyotes in that DVD. Every one of them a bang, flop.
Old March 14, 2010, 10:52 AM   #15
James R. Burke

I love the V-Max in my wifes .243 and my 30-06 in a 110 grain. They work great for varmints, but you can forget the pelts. With the 06 and a 110 grain V-Max it will turn a porky pine into a red mist. I no it is no varmint rifle, but I reload, and its fun to just play around with. I am still under 1" at 100 yards with it. The .243 does good with them, and the Nosler B.T. That also is not made for varmints but good groups, and again just fun to mess around with.
Old March 14, 2010, 02:07 PM   #16
L_Killkenny

First, you may want to define what you think a varmint is. Varmints are generally rodents while coyotes, fox, coon etc are predators. What are you wanting to hunt? My experience is predators. But IMO, any of the heavy weight .224 bullets aren't gonna be worth a spit on varmints or predators. Too heavy construction intended for punching paper at long range not putting critters in the ground. Deer are another matter. The lighter BTHP's like the 52 grainers are pretty good on predators. Less blow up on fox but you'll get more exits on coyote than say a 50-55gr V-max.

The heavy weights are a current fad with the target shooter crowd (for good reason) if you want to use a .223 for long range but are not intended for hunting smallish game. While you may find someone out there shooting P-dog or coyotes with em 99.9% of the serious guys are gonna continue to use lightweight bullets. Me included, if I want heavier bullets for hunting I'm not using a .224, it's time to step up.

LK
Old March 15, 2010, 10:27 AM   #17
rickyrick

hello,
I just joined the board, been using 40gr .223 varmint express on raccoons causing farm problems. they are a tad messy wouldn't use them if your going to skin or mount them.
Old March 22, 2010, 05:46 PM   #18
Dave R

I have a buddy who shoots varmits with 55gr FMJ in his AR. He wounds a LOT more critters than I do shooting the same rifle with a 40gr. V-Max bullet. Even the corpses that we have examined show a tale. Exit wounds on his critters are near same as the entry wounds. Mine are just sorta dis-assembled.
Old March 25, 2010, 12:27 PM   #19
rickyrick

yeah, that's what I experienced with them, head shots are a little gross,lol