The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 12:31 PM   #51
gwpercle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk70ss View Post
While at the range shooting (indoor with a retail sales area), I removed my sweatshirt because it was getting warm in the range. This exposed my EDC, a Ruger SP101 .357 in an outside the waistband kydex holster. The guy in the next lane pointed at my rig and laughed saying it’s 2018, they make better carry guns you know......I said thanks, I’ll look into that.

I noticed he was shooting a Sig 226 and a Glock, not sure what model. He was shooting at 5 yards and was all over the target, not even something you could call a group. I was shooting at 20 yards with a Ruger Blackhawk and making 3-4 inch groups offhand.

I think I am fairly well armed and competent with what I carry. I am not so sure about the “expert” who gave me his unsolicited advice......
Carry what you have confidence in and can shoot well. I also carry a revolver, it's a 38 special but I can shoot it extremely well and it has never failed to feed, failed to fire or failed to extract , 100% reliability...no safety , no magazine , no slide to rack.

It's not the gun that wins the fight...it's the shootist.
The " expert" knows not of what he speaks.
Gary
Old February 13, 2018, 07:08 PM   #52
FrankenMauser

For the record: I'm now carrying .32 H&R in a Ruger LCR (.327 Federal, 6-shot model).

According to the internet, I'm so under-gunned that I should already be dead.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:36 PM   #53
samsmix

I had a gun store commando tell me that "If you shoot someone with that it will just piss him off" when he saw me buying a .380 for my wife.

In a sporting mood, I asked what he carried.

"A Sig Sauer P-220 .45 ACP", he replied.

Seeing nowhere on his person to hide such a beast, I decided to set him up and then take him down a peg. I said "Well that sounds like what I should get her. Do you mind if I look at it?"

"...I, well uh...I don't have it HERE. It's out in my truck but sure, I can go get it."

Wagging an LCP mag from my pocket, I said "Well it wouldn't do you much good out there, now would it?"

He went away.

IF we're not supposed to eat animals,
howcome God made 'em outta meat?
Old February 13, 2018, 07:55 PM   #54
Ricklin

An expert

Ya spelled it wrong. He was an Ex-Spurt and that's a drip under pressure.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:10 PM   #55
SGW Gunsmith

I think he handled that "clown" very well. The guy couldn't group any better at 15 feet? Bet he was flinching like a "chihuahua crappin' peach seeds".

I certainly know there are semi-autos available these days, but if I need more than six rounds, I'll bring my 12 gauge pump gun!

Old February 15, 2018, 01:51 PM   #56
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don P View Post
Thinking back on this, the malfunctions I have had with my wheel guns are a broken firing pin on my competition 625 and my GP 100 locking up because the fool (me) short stroked the trigger Other than these issues my revolvers run all the time. My 649 and model 10 both have not had issues with regards to function and reliability. Both are wonderful carry guns
My S&W carry never had a problem out of several thousand rounds of shooting. Its predecessor, a officer style .45, went through about 2,000 with no problems, before I retired it for the S&W. The wife's cannon of a Beretta has never had a problem.

Its not the pistol. Its the shooter.
Old February 15, 2018, 03:39 PM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

Well, if we don't get rained out, I'm going to shoot a match with a stock SW Model 19 - just because.
Old February 16, 2018, 12:39 AM   #58
TunnelRat

Skill is the decider. That said, there's nothing that says capacity and skill have to be mutually exclusive.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 16, 2018, 01:21 AM   #59
cslinger

Quote:
Skill is the decider. That said, there's nothing that says capacity and skill have to be mutually exclusive.
ABSOLUTELY TRUE. That being said, and I say this as a schmuck on the interwebz who knows very little about very little, there are so many folks who own X gun because it “magazine races” well. I would be terrified of a Delta Operator with a .38 revolver with 4 mismatched rounds and an empty cylinder vs a tarded gangbanger with a Glock 17.

Carrying is about skill, confindence and equipment. Said Delta Operator with a Glock 17 is a force to be reckoned with.....me......not so much. I am probably better with 5 rounds of Gold Dot short barrell or a good Da/SA.

Skill trumps all. Skill with the best possible equipment is a force to be reckoned with. Skill and equipment can still be trumped by Mr. Murphy.

Me personally, my sweet spot is 10+ rounds of a martial caliber. Would I ever disparage a 5 shot .357/.38 in trained hands.........well I am not that uneducated l.
Old February 16, 2018, 01:26 AM   #60
armoredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer
Experts who give unsolicited advice are worth what you paid for it. I stopped doing that.

Case in point - I was taking my TX CHL test (easy for anyone with any practice). A guy next to me says that I shoot too well and should miss some of the center Zero zone shots. Why? Well, he tells me that if I go to trial they will ask me why I didn't shoot the bad person in the leg. He knew this as he was a trained sniper.
What's amazing is my Dept still has people who will spew the same thing - "Don't shoot a perfect score, then you will lose in court because X, Y and Z". 99% of these same people usually just squeak over the top to qualify anyway.
Old February 16, 2018, 04:34 AM   #61
CajunBass

Quote:
I was just having fun at the range. Shooting for enjoyment, you know, recreational shooting......
I'm surprised that this seems to be an alien concept to a lot of people.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old February 17, 2018, 11:39 AM   #62
Wag

Usually, the one talking the most knows the least. Happens all the time, the shooting world, the biker world, the martial arts world, etc. ad nauseum infinitum.

My wife was notorious for outshooting the rest of the people on the range but the one day that really made me giggle was when I was shooting bowling pins. I was setting them up at 100 yards and shooting them down with a 30-30 Model 94. No biggie, just having fun. At one point I had just set up the pins again and was taking aim and heard six shots ring out to my right and watched six of my pins go rolling. I just up at my lovely life mate and saw a big ol' grin and I just had to laugh. She had taken them all out with her GP100 using .38 special loads I built for her.

Of course, I had to feign being pissed off because now I had to do another 200 yard round trip hike to set 'em back up and of course, that made her laugh even more!

Fun stuff.

Usually, I see people on the pistol range who can't hit their target and they are constantly blaming their pistol. Trying the tweak the sights. Adjusting their point of aim on every shot and generally spreading shots all over the paper, even at close ranges. About the time I hear them say, "This gun sucks!" is when I ask them if I can try it.

And shoot a same-hole group for them with their own pistol. About half the time, they walk off, even more pissed off. The other half of the time, they ask how I did that and I'm more than happy to show them some basics which always improves their shooting for the rest of the day.

Fun times, though.

--Wag--
Old February 18, 2018, 04:26 AM   #63
armoredman

I had that happen once, with an Astra A-90 45ACP. I could NOT hit the target to save my life, but everyone else could. I swear that gun hated me - traded it away fast.
Old February 18, 2018, 10:15 AM   #64
UncleEd

MK70SS,

After careful review and consideration of your original post
which began this thread, I have concluded you are
undergunned.

And I am an expert!

What you need to supplement your 5-shooter is
a whip.

In fact, from my expertise in this matter, I urge a
lot of brethren should carry a whip, including women.