The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 11, 2009, 07:04 PM   #1
fsfty

Ammo Help Please

Just bought a new AK-47, and am a little confused about ammo. Do most ranges allow full metal jacket ammo, or not? If not, do they allow hollow point? Thanks for your help.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:10 PM   #2
rjrivero

Range rules vary from range to range. Good luck trying to figgure out the rhyme and reason to some of their rules.

Full metal jacket rounds are almost universally allowed. There is nothing "dangerous" about a jacketed round. I have never heard of any range dis-allowing hollow point ammunition.

Indoor ranges often have limits on the calibers of guns allowed. My local indoor range doesn't allow any rifle calibers. They do allow .22LR for younger shooters. Other than that, it's handgun only.

Last edited by rjrivero; August 11, 2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:23 PM   #3
the rifleer

Well I've shot my mosin nagant m44 with surplus FMJ 7.62x54r at a 25 yard indoor range... I'll never forget the guy shooting a glock next to me it was just pop...pop...pop... BOOM!!! and the whole range lit up like a camera flash. the range master just smiled at me when i was done. he inspected the gun before hand, but not the ammo. I didn't say anything about the ammo , if i did he probably wouldn't have let me shoot.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
brian45auto

some places will not allow you to pick up your brass, alot of those places will not allow steel cased ammo either.

luckly, i've never seen either of the above, or an indoor range for that matter.
Old August 11, 2009, 07:42 PM   #5
TheManHimself

Some ranges disallow ammunition with magnetic projectiles. This can be either for fire hazard reasons (Usually outdoor ranges where steel jacketed projectiles striking rocks can start fires) or for backstop damage reasons (Usually indoor ranges where the backstop isn't rated to handle steel-cored projectiles).

Some ranges disallow ammunition with steel shell cases. This is because they keep your spent cases to sell to reloaders and they want you to be giving them brass on top of your range fee.
Old August 13, 2009, 12:01 PM   #6
TerminalVelocity16

A couple indoor ranges by me do not allow FMJ's. Others don't. check your local ranges rules, or wherever your going to shoot before making up your mind. HP's shouldn't be a problem anywhere.

-Term
Old August 13, 2009, 12:20 PM   #7
srt 10 jimbo

No problems at the outdoor ranges. At the Indoor ranges, they will hold a magnet up to a round of ammo, If it sticks they wont let you shoot it.