The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 2, 2018, 04:11 PM   #1
KROIL

Marlin 1895 GS Killed my Leupold

If you load your own loads for 45/70 marlin guide gun you know you can do better than factory ammo. But more power also brings more recoil. I had received my 1st case of scope eye with a standard scope on the GS when I got too close and the recoil monster bit me. Not wanting a repeat of that under hunting conditions I went to a forward scout mount and a Leupold scout scope. The other day I pulled the cover off the scope and looked through the scope. The upper verticle crosshair had broken off the last time I fired it. I guess I can send it in and Leupold will repair it. The recoil monster strikes again.
Old April 2, 2018, 06:18 PM   #2
disseminator

Yep, Leupold will take care of it.

What kind of loads are you shooting?
Old April 2, 2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Minorcan

I use a peep sight and still no troubles .... LOL
Old April 2, 2018, 07:23 PM   #4
eastbank

I shoot some pretty heavy loads in my new Winchester high wall, 400gr bullets at 2000-2100 fps with a 1x4 leupold scope with no problems at all. sent your scope back they will fix-repair it at no cost to you.
Old April 3, 2018, 03:24 PM   #5
dgludwig

Quote:
I use a peep sight and still no troubles ....
Same here and on several different rifles.
Old April 3, 2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Scorch

Scout-mounted scopes get punished under recoil. The VX-R Scout scope should be able to handle anything you can tolerate recoil-wise,. But if it doesn't you can always send it in for repair and service under their lifetime warranty. 2 weeks, and you'll have it back good as new.

And of course, there is always the option of porting for your Marlin.
Old April 3, 2018, 04:22 PM   #7
KROIL

My peepers dont peep too well. For a super accurate hunting load I use a 300gr Hornady JHP over 53.1 gr of RE7 CCI 250 at 2.250".
Old April 3, 2018, 04:25 PM   #8
KROIL

The early Marlin guide guns were ported. They stopped porting them cuz some were firing cast lead bullets and problems resulted.
Old April 4, 2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Mobuck

Well, so much for "buy once/cry once".
Old April 4, 2018, 11:40 AM   #10
JeepHammer

Not to put too fine a point on things...
But optics makers for heavy recoil rifles recommend etched reticle to prevent this very thing.
Etched reticles are recommended for 'Rough Service' also.
Old April 4, 2018, 07:00 PM   #11
lockedcj7

Meh, stuff breaks. I am a true Leupold fan and had my first disappointment yesterday. I was just finishing up sighting in an M8-4X when one of the cross-hairs broke. It was on a .22, and as far as I know, has never been dropped or abused. I mailed it off today so we'll see what happens.
Old April 6, 2018, 07:10 AM   #12
eastbank

don,t worry leupold will repair or replace it with out any hassles.i have had to send a few in for work over the last 50 years and service was quick and painless. disreguard mobucks post, if your scope was 50 years old or older it still would get the same treatment as a newer scope. moduck please tell the OP what other scope maker will honor a warrenty on one of their 50 years old scopes will no hassles, just as I thought NONE.
Old April 6, 2018, 08:48 PM   #13
JeepHammer

I've had the same issues with Leupold, didn't matter how old, if they couldn't fix my optic, they replace it with a better, current optic.
Never charged me anything, not even shipping.
When they say lifetime, no BS, they mean it!

I sent them a VX3 that went through a car wreck and they fixed it! (Or maybe replaced, I couldn't tell when it came back)
Old April 7, 2018, 10:55 AM   #14
Drm50

I can't complain about Leupolds. I just sold a Sako 375H&H that I bought in
68. Several hundred rds fired over the years with no problem. I didn't sell the
scope and put it on a M70 FW in 308. While sighting in approx 10 shots, scope
wouldn't take adjustments. They are taking care of it, a 1968 4x.

Up until 3 years ago we were slug only long gun for Ohio Deer. When deer hunting got big here in Ohio and guys were buying slug guns and scopes
12g slug guns were hard on scopes. Leupold & Weaver ( Texas Made) were
the only ones holding up.
Old April 7, 2018, 02:45 PM   #15
bamaranger

+1

Another atta boy for Leupold. I'm running about a dozen or so, and admittedly, only about half that see heavy use. But, my assorted affordable Leupolds, (M8's and various Vari-X_ models) most bought used on ebay or from pals, are holding up on rifles that have trashed lesser scopes. Some examples:

-I hunt a Mini30, and for a while, 'till I got other debts sorted out and so on, I mounted an assortment of affordable scopes on it. That Mini30, with its slam/bang action, just beat those scopes to pieces in short order. A Leupold 1-4x went on about a decade ago, we even shot some 3-gun matches with it, and it has held up fine.

-A tube feed Ruger .44 carbine was also a scope basher. Again the semi slam did a number on two or three different scopes. Another Leupold 1-4x has held up fine for 10 yrs or more as well. I shot a Leupold 2.5x compact on that little rifle for a while to, before giving it to a pal for his gobbler gun.

-For a brief while, I ran a Leupold Scout on a M1 Garand. Slam/bang again. No probs, but I replaced the low powered Leupold with a Burris 2-7x, we'll see how it does.

-Until HQ cracked down on the practice, I typically kept a scoped .22 in the patrol rig to deal with pests and feral animals. No recoil, I figured any scope would hold up. But......the constant vibration and rattle from the vehicle and roadways , even mounted in a bracket and soft case, would shake the internals loose on cheap scopes after a few years. A Leupold .22 rimfire model fixed that.

In fact, I have NEVER sent a Leupold back in for repair, only reticle changes.

Depending on the age of your Leupold variable, they may not do a reticle change, there is a cut off date. But they will make the scope right and serviceable.
Old April 17, 2018, 06:12 AM   #16
J.G. Terry

Leupold Service

Leupold stands behind their product. The scope will be made right and returned. That's my experience over many years.
Old May 2, 2018, 11:45 AM   #17
jfruser

I can't afford to scope every rifle in the family. But I can afford to affix picatinny mounts to all the rifles and float Leupold scopes to whichever rifle is to see use.
Old May 2, 2018, 04:17 PM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I can't afford to scope every rifle in the family.
isn't that kinda like making all your kids share the same pair of shoes??
Old May 17, 2018, 06:00 PM   #19
Greg Bell

My old Guide gun went through two stocks. Beastly gun!
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old May 24, 2018, 03:48 PM   #20
jfruser

44AMP wrote:
"isn't that kinda like making all your kids share the same pair of shoes??"

They're lucky they all get their own toothbrushes.
Old May 25, 2018, 06:43 AM   #21
Jevyod

I went with Leupold's 1-4 shotgun scope simply because of the recoil. So far no problems at all.
Old May 25, 2018, 09:26 AM   #22
Scoits

Have a Leupold 1-4 shot gun scope on a 458 Lott and have fired it over the last 20+ years app. 700 times. Still hanging in there.