The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2002, 09:45 AM   #1
Aahzz

First shotgun - woohoo!!

Well, I did it...after searching the archives and reading all the old threads, had it narrowed down to a Mossberg 500, a Remington 870, or a Benelli Nova. Hit the gunshops on Saturday to see what I thought...and the winner was the Nova, for one simple reason - it was the only one that fit Mrs. Aahzz. The 500 and 870 were too much of a stretch for her arms, and the Nova wasn't. It's my gun, so her fit was a secondary consideration, but it's nice to know that she'll be able to shoot it if she has to!

So, I'm an extremely happy man...now I just have to find a local range that will allow me to shoot it!!! I do most of my shooting at indoor ranges that only allow pistol or .22 rifle, so the search for a new range is on - I can't wait!!!
Old January 7, 2002, 11:27 AM   #2
CMichael

That is wonderful. Have fun. Trap and skeep shooting are loads of fun.

Michael
Old January 7, 2002, 07:43 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Enjoy,even if you did spurn the 870(G)...

Buy ammo, use up, repeat. Stick with light loads at first, and once your form is solid, then go to SOME heavier stuff. When it starts feeling like it's a body part instead of a tool, you're there...
Old January 8, 2002, 12:08 PM   #4
GoFaster

Congrats on the purchase. I picked up a 870 last month. Haven't found any place to shoot it yet. Blue Trail (public range) in Wallingford has a trap field but they only allow slugs on the rifle range.

The other clubs nearby are all private and have long waiting lists.