The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2001, 01:26 AM   #1
MLC

mossy 500 20"& full magtube ?

I have a mossy with a full length magazine tube and hope to get a rifled barrel for it. Anyone know where to get one( if you can)?
Old November 27, 2001, 05:19 PM   #2
swampgator

No Luck So Far

Same thing on this end. Don't think that Mossy makes accessory barrels for the 20" tube. However Brownells sells the tube for the 6 shot for like $16. So with a new tube, spring, and follower your looking at roughly $20-25.
This will give you the option of having everything that Mossy makes available to you, plus you can change back to the 20" tube and barrel.
Now you also bump it up to pseudo 590 also. Pretty versitle, really.

Gator
Old November 29, 2001, 11:52 AM   #3
pmglock

Big 500 fan here...

I love the 500 series and the ability to easily change configurations to suit my needs. Have spent many hours searching the web for barrels and accesories. Mossberg makes a 20in plain bead barrel, a 28" vent rib barrel with screw in chokes, and a 20in rifle sighted barrel for the extended mag tube version.
No rifled barrels have been made for these that I can locate, and I have looked ALOT.
Gator has the right idea about gettting a shorter mag tube. Then you have access to all sorts of rifled and/or ported barrels. They are very easy to swap out once you get them unscrewed for the first time.

Patrick
Old November 29, 2001, 12:03 PM   #4
swampgator

Depending on...

how old the 500 is, ie number of rounds fired, the tube may screw off by hand.
However if it won't be very careful using pliers, if using vice grips open them up fully. Insert two scrap pieces of leather so the plier's "teeth" won't scratch the tube. Then slowly close jaws making sure the leather stays in place and that you don't overtighten the pliers, to avoid crushing the tube.
Or take it to your smith who SHOULD have the correct pliers to do this job. Can't see paying more than $10 for him to do it.