The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 11, 2017, 04:08 PM   #1
CWKahrFan

All Gander Mountains officially liquidating

I just got their email this afternoon but there weren't a lot of details in it... There's one 5 minutes from my house so I'm going over in a few minutes to see what I can see. It's always been a handy source for emergency reloading supplies for me so I'll see if there are any primers left.

Though they've been on the high side with most of their prices I'll be missing the quick-trip convenience. The email said their firearms would be on sale too though I don't expect much of a drop there. Maybe I'll chime in here again when I get back.
Old May 11, 2017, 04:25 PM   #2
FITASC

Don't expect much, they have better sales at Christmas. Just a marketing thing; manager told me at the one near me, that basically they'll close one day as GM and reopen the next with same folks, inventory, etc.

However, if Camping World doesn't change their pricing model, they won't be open long anyway......
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 11, 2017, 04:53 PM   #3
Dufus

Quote:
The email said their firearms would be on sale too though I don't expect much of a drop there
They dropped the firearms 10%.

That makes them only 20% higher than other places.
Old May 11, 2017, 05:32 PM   #4
CWKahrFan

Yep... No big deal.
Reloading gear 15% off... I got some powder... popular primers cleaned out.
No discount on ammo.

Clothing mostly 20% off of their regular price which means about in line with most places.
Old May 11, 2017, 05:42 PM   #5
FITASC

There are approximately 32 stores that will actually close; mine near me has zero discounts on guns, ammo, or reloading supplies - and no pricing on a lot of things I MIGHT have been interested in.
I get better deals at Cabela's and Academy.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 11, 2017, 05:57 PM   #6
KenL

The two here in the Denver area closed last year some time, I don't exactly remember. I went in looking for deals but what it looked like is that they brought all the crap that didn't sell from the other stores and forgot to mark it down. Very disappointed. Lots of clothes and stuff, just not anything in terms of mark downs. They haven't reopened those stores, at least as far as I know.

And I agree, if they don't change their pricing model under the new ownership they won't be long for the world.
Old May 11, 2017, 09:37 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Stopped by the one in Columbus today while passing through town. Response was basically the same as everyone else. The discounts lowered prices to where they were almost as low as everywhere else. If I'd been making a quick trip for necessary provisions I might not have cussed the prices as I walked out the door. Since nothing was needed immediately I took nothing home.

I was tempted by some cans of peanuts. House brand, several flavors and not priced that bad to begin so the discount made them decent. I don't work in an office right now and I really don't need 20 servings of honey roasted peanuts, so even they stayed.
Old May 11, 2017, 09:43 PM   #8
snuzzo29

One store near me now has firearms and ammo at 15% off. I can still find better deals at smaller LGS or even Cabelas. Everything else is anywhere from 20-50% off but most of the store has been picked over.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:20 PM   #9
Dufus

Quote:
There are approximately 32 stores that will actually close;
Gander Mountain's website says all 126 stores are closing.
Old May 11, 2017, 11:51 PM   #10
volkstrm

I guess I better get my butt down there and use my $25.00 gift card that I got the last time I renewed my NRA membership.
Old May 12, 2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Rob62

volkstrm - according to Gander Mountains web site you only have through (by) 18 May to use your Gift Card.

I suspect that many people will miss out on getting to use their cards before it's too late.

Regards,

Rob
Old May 12, 2017, 04:25 PM   #12
Minorcan

Must vary a lot form store to store. The store I St Augustine, FL has guns for 5% off. Yep that's right, 5%. O commented to the gun counter clerk that they are still 20-25% more than everyone else and if their prices had been more in line maybe they wouldn't be going out of business. His comment was that they sell lots of guns. Maybe but I'm not sure to whom? I'll pass.
Old May 12, 2017, 05:24 PM   #13
Gunplummer

That is a shame. I bought a lot of "Parts guns" off them. The slightest little thing and they sell them as "Parts guns".
Old May 12, 2017, 05:46 PM   #14
clintpup

Not all stores will be closing (although you could be forgiven for thinking that based on the e-mails that said that ). However, everything remaining in the stores now will be liquidated. See below:

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/2...nis/101402750/
Old May 12, 2017, 05:49 PM   #15
FITASC

Got a link that doesn't have a fit when running AdBlocker?
Old May 12, 2017, 09:12 PM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

Decided to go by and as others said, their sale prices come down to the normal prices of a place like Academy.

This stuck in my mind:

1. Glock 26 mag - $39.95
2. Glock 17 10 round mag - $49.95

Wonder why they went under. There were some guys looking at guns and thinking they were getting big bargains and doing the naive gun guy posturing dance.
Old May 12, 2017, 09:37 PM   #17
Eazyeach

Last Saturday I drove by my local Gander Mtn and the lot was full of cars. A big banner declared "store closing sale". I didn't have time to stop that day, and I thought all the good stuff would be gone. Well I made it down there yesterday and laughed my butt off. Even their close out prices were higher than Cabelas and my favorite LGS. Ridiculous. Clothing was 30% off. Shooting stuff was 10% off and guns were only 5% off. Still 20-30% too high.
Old May 13, 2017, 03:01 AM   #18
Badgerstate

With how overpriced Gander is, unless everything is at least 40% off, is not worth it.
Since Cabelas opened in my town, I dont even go to Gander anymore.
Old May 13, 2017, 04:29 AM   #19
peggysue

Sad to hear any business going out. Effects lots of people. The one in my area is supposed to close however liquidation companies do this ans every thing cost more. I am sure the guns won't be included.
In the last 2 years a farm store called Theisens and Dicks expanded and have most every gun out there. Even Dunham Sports carries hand guns and everything. The marked is already filled up again.
Old May 13, 2017, 05:50 AM   #20
Old Stony

Right now if you hurry, you can get 5.56 ammo at the Gander closest to me for only 60 cents a round in bulk ! Well come to think of it....other people are selling it for under 30 cents a round?? Even as they are closing stores for lack of sales to support them, they still haven't figured out the concept of competition. You treat a customer right, they come back again and again..
Old May 13, 2017, 06:25 AM   #21
Nathan

So the Cabelas vs Gander Mountain battle from the 80's is finally over! Too bad Cabelas won.

Gander had a strong lead back in the day, but the retail stores and terrible pricing strategy, 2yr old inventory passed off as new, etc killed them off.
Old May 13, 2017, 04:29 PM   #22
Gunplummer

You mean "Too bad Bass Pro" won.
Old May 13, 2017, 07:46 PM   #23
jmr40

The Bass Pro/Cabelas deal ain't a done deal yet.

There aren't any Gander Mountains anywhere near here, but I pass by a couple along some routes that I travel a few times a year. They've always made for a good place to stop and walk around a bit on longer drives.

When it comes to guns and gun related hardware I buy almost nothing from any of the big stores. But I quite often find store brand clothing at Cabela's and Gander Mountain to be very good quality and priced much better than the major brands. Especially on the clearance racks.

I can't say the same for Bass Pro. Their store brand clothing is about 2 steps below what I can get at Walmart and no better priced. The high end name brand stuff is about the same at all of them.

For the type of stuff I buy at Gander I'll hate to see them go. And if BPS does buy out Cabelas I hope they don't cheapen their stuff down to their levels.

Winston Churchill
Old May 13, 2017, 08:02 PM   #24
FITASC

Quote:
The Bass Pro/Cabelas deal ain't a done deal yet.
Yeah, it is. Cabelas has to divest their credit card business as part of the deal
Old May 13, 2017, 08:25 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

I'm glad to see them go. GM was overpriced and had terrible store policies and customer service.

But, I'm not happy to see them go, either. Those of you that think Cabela's has good prices need all the local competition you can get. And if Cabela's has "good prices", the loss of GM as a competitor won't help matters.