The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 20, 2015, 06:28 AM   #1
Quickdraw513

Ruger New Vaquero issue

I recently purchased a new model Vaquero in .45 long colt. I've put around 50 rounds down range with it since owning it. Well I was playing with the trigger the other day ( of course unloaded) and I noticed that prolly 3 out of every 5 pulls of the trigger, the trigger would not reset it's self. It's like it was hanging up due to a bur or something. I tore the gun down and everything looks to be in good working order. When the trigger would hang up after dry firing it, a slight touch or pull of the hammer would reset it.

I hope I'm not the only one that has had this issue and I really like this pistol so I'm hopping it's not to big of an issue. Feed back please!!!!!!!
Old April 20, 2015, 03:48 PM   #2
Armybrat

Just got my NV .357 a few weeks ago - it doesn't have the problem you described.
If yours continues to reset erratically, give Ruger customer service a call - they should send you a mailing label so you can send it back in for repair.

Maybe you could get some more definitive replies by posting the question on this Ruger forum:

http://rugerforum.net/forums.php
Old April 20, 2015, 04:06 PM   #3
ZVP

Is it under warranty? Send it in if it is. Ruger completely rebuilt my Vaquero, replacing nearly every part and hand fitting them!
Essentially, I was returned a FACTORY "Tuned" revolver!
Frankilly, I'd still send the revolver to Ruger to get it fixed, right once andfor all!Don't mess around.
ZVP
Old April 20, 2015, 04:10 PM   #4
DaleA

Another vote for giving Ruger a call. I've heard of their exceptional customer service many times. It can hardly hurt-report back what reply you get.
Old April 20, 2015, 04:57 PM   #5
wrangler yj

I just bought a GP 100 Saturday and it has the same problem. I dry fired the gun around 500 times so far and the trigger still sticks on occasion. I thought about disassembling the gun, but I'm not sure what to look for. I plan on more dry firing and going out this coming weekend to shoot it.
Old April 20, 2015, 08:38 PM   #6
Captain Nice

Forty years ago, I purchased a Colt Trooper Mark III. The first round I fired through it the trigger did not rebound. The problem was the transfer bar which remained stuck between the hammer and the frame mounted firing pin. I took it to a certified Colt dealer for repair and then traded it for a Python. You most likely have the same problem with the Ruger transfer bar system.

CN
Old April 20, 2015, 08:44 PM   #7
Quickdraw513

I've had the gun about 8 weeks and dry fired it prolly 500 or so times. I've never had a gun that the trigger would not reset after firing. I don't think it would affect the actual firing of the weqpon. But in still gonna have a gun smith look at it or contact ruger to have it shipped back. Does anyone have an idea as to how long I would be out of the pistol if I ship it to ruger?
Old April 21, 2015, 07:00 PM   #8
Rangerrich99

Pretty sure the standard answer they'll give you about turnaround is "4-6 weeks."

In my personal experience is was 11 days, and from a couple buddies of mine I've heard two to three weeks. One guy I met at the range told me he got his back in exactly a week. YMMV.
Old April 21, 2015, 07:21 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Before paying a gunsmith or returning the gun to Ruger, I would try a few drops of oil in front of the hammer and around the trigger, then work the hammer a 50 times or so (not dry snapping, just working the hammer).

Jim
Old April 21, 2015, 07:22 PM   #10
Gray Ghost

Ruger CS

I just received a revolver back from the Ruger factory, turnaround time was almost exactly two weeks. Their customer service is exceptional.
Old April 21, 2015, 07:41 PM   #11
rep1954

Quote:
You most likely have the same problem with the Ruger transfer bar system.
I agree that the transfer bar is the culprit but could be acting up because of a bad cylinder pin plunger
Old May 6, 2015, 07:35 AM   #12
rodfac

Geez, call Ruger...Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old May 6, 2015, 05:59 PM   #13
g.willikers

Just out of curiosity and for future reference, does the trigger reset return vary with whether or not you let it off quickly or slow and gently?
Old May 10, 2015, 11:18 AM   #14
dakota1911

I have not had a problem with mine but I would try the oil and then call Ruger if it does not work.
Old May 11, 2015, 06:16 PM   #15
Jim March

The only time you can't send a Ruger back to Ruger (for free) is if it's an extreme FrankenRuger like mine:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-fed-revolver/

...or something similarly custom...although "Maurice" sets a whole new standard in weird.
Old May 12, 2015, 01:25 AM   #16
DaleA

I would pay money to be there to see the looks on their faces when they (Ruger customer service) opened the box with FrankenRuger in it.

Jim March-you don't have a friend (mole) at Ruger so that you could set that up do you? Might be the next YouTube sensation.
Old May 12, 2015, 03:07 AM   #17
Slopemeno

Base pin all the way in?

Tags
ruger , trigger reset , vaquero , wheel gun