The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2001, 07:35 PM   #1
muddyboots

I'm looking for some real info on this load. There isn't any .40 S&W in my 11th edition Speer book. Does any know if there is something in the 13th edition Speer book? Tring to find what the OAL should be.
The Winchester data does not show this load.
Old February 5, 2001, 08:41 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

.40 lead loads

muddyboots--

I understand your question: data for the 155 gr. LEAD SWC.

Sorry, but I don't have any. Hopefully, someone will come along and give you exactly what you requested.

I DO have, however, a Speer #12, which gives data for the 155 TMJ (plated) RN flat point and for the 155 Gold Dot HP. This will give you a place to start:

231, 5.8 gr, 867 fps
6.5 gr. 1038 fps

Speer shows ALL their .40 loads with C.O.L at 1.120".

The Hornady Handbook Fourth Edition shows following for theit 155 gr. XTP HP bullet:

231 5.3 gr for 950 fps,
5.6 gr for 1000 fps,
and 5.9 gr for 1050 fps

Hornady shows ALL their .40 loads with C.O.L. at 1.125".

Both books show max C.O.L. at 1.135 ".
When I started loading .40, data was scarcer still--I began
loading the lead bullets at levels suggested for the jacketed numbers and never had any real trouble. Generally speaking, a lead bullet develops less pressure than a jacketed bullet of equal weight. This presumes starting out with a clean barrel. I quickly learned to keep my lead bullet loads down to 1000 or less to avoid leading. If your bullets are pretty soft--easily scored with a fingernail-- I'd keep 'em below 900-950.

You're pretty much going to have to try trial-and-error on the overall length. I suggest making up a dummy--no primer or powder--and seating your bullet to 1.135, without crimping TOO firmly, and seeing how it feeds from the magazine in your pistol. Make sure, too, that it will go all the way to the bottom of your magazine. If this seems too long for proper feeding, bump it in by, say, .002 at a time, and see when it starts working.

When you decide upon proper seating/sunctioning depth, be certain to readjust your die so that you put a good, firm taper crimp on the loaded cartridges. This is to prevent the bullets being shoved back into the cases. Even when using a moderate load, the pressure increases dramatically if you have a bullet shoved in too far.

Dont be discouraged it you have some difficulty.

One minor warnimg-- If you use the lead bullet loads in a Glock pistol, be sure to clean it often. Strange and frightening things are said to happen with Glocks when there's much lead buildup. Also, I am TOLD--no personal knowledge-- that the use of ANY handloads in a Glock voids the warranty.

A combination of max loads, badly leaded barrel, and a bullet seated 'way too deep, and you can experience more excitement than desirable.

I have no qualms about giving the above loads--They are published in reputable manuals--but I felt I needed to mention the potential Glock problem.

Best of luck--
Johnny

MOLON LABE!
Old February 5, 2001, 10:16 PM   #3
Robert the41MagFan

muddyboots

If you want the data, email me. It's a large file, so I don't want to post it here or just send it.

Robert
Old February 6, 2001, 02:40 AM   #4
JRR

The Laser-Cast reloading manual has 155 gr. lead swc info. with 8 different powders.

With Win. 231
start 5.0 @ 1045 fps.
Max. 5.4 @ 1121 fps.
OAL - 1.126"

Hope this helps,
Jeff
Old February 7, 2001, 07:38 AM   #5
muddyboots

Robert
Email it to me.
That would be great.
thanks