The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2014, 06:18 PM   #1
Backwoodsboy

Tasco World Class

Hello everybody,
I have been given a Tasco World Class 2x22 pistol scope. As some of you remember I have recently purchased a ruger super black hawk hunter in .44 mag. My question to all of you fine folks is will this tasco handle the recoil of this round or should I continue to look and leupolds and Burris. I am well aware of the reputation of Tasco but until now have never even seen one of there world class scopes. Any help is appreciated and thank you in advance.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:18 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

If it were me, I'd pass on the Tasco. I used to own several Tasco World Class scopes and I never found them to be "world class". All failed in due course. I've owned a couple of Burris pistol scopes and none of them failed after shooting thousands of full power 44mag loads. I'd have equal confidence in Leupold...who by the way gives a lifetime warranty on their scopes. I've never had a Leupold rifle scope fail but I've never owned a pistol scope made by them. My opinion of Tasco= poor quality.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:35 PM   #3
buck460XVR

If it was given to you, what else are you going to do with it? What do you have to lose? Tasco doesn't make handgun scopes anymore and the World Class scopes came with a lifetime warranty. Bust it on the .44 and they will not be able to replace or fix it probably and will probably offer you a pair of binos or something else. Back in the 70s I put a World Class 3X9 on my M1917 after getting it for Christmas. I zero'd it after it was put on and haven't touched it since other than to change the magnification. 40 years later and twice that many deer and it still shoots where you put the crosshairs.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:38 PM   #4
ATPBULLETS

It was a gift.....Use it...That model scope has handled 357 hot loads for a while.
Go for it.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:52 PM   #5
feets

Use it. If you decide you want more scope later you can upgrade.

A 2 to 4 power scope is just about perfect for a revolver. Once you start increasing magnification it becomes a bench gun. You simply can't hold it steady enough to make a precise shot. The lower magnification hides the shakes and wobbles we all have.

The only time I crank my Leupy or Burris up to 7 is when I'm on my custom built pistol rest.

As for Tasco, they were bought out by Bushnell many years ago and are now part of that big conglomerate. When I called them about my defective Tasco World Class 3-9x40 rifle scope they offered me a $25 discount on a Bushnell replacement.
When I asked about my defective Bushnell scope they replaced it with a new one.

I can't remember if the age of the Tasco scope had anything to do with it. I bought it in 1994.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

It's a gift.

Try it and if it dies at some point, at least,you got some use out of it.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:16 AM   #7
44flattop

Their World Class pistol scopes are actually good scopes, probably better than anything else with the Tasco name. However, I still wouldn't put one on a hard kicker.
Old March 5, 2014, 02:17 AM   #8
SteelChickenShooter

World Class?

I've had a number of "World Class" Tasco scopes during my trials to find an acceptable scope for rimfire competition shooting. And the results were not so great. In one case the adjustable range was only half of what would be expected. An obvious defect. In other cases the optics were poor. Sort of a milky image in sunlight. For me it was far better to spend more money on other higher priced brands to get the desired results. Nothing "World Class" about the Tascos I've tried. However-one exception: I had a Silver Antler or Golden Antler scope on a hunting rifle that did work well. Nothing really "World Class" about it. It was just plain ordinary and did the job.
My view is that the words "World Class" are just printed on the box as a marketing strategy to trick unsuspecting buyers into giving up their money in exchange for a product that may not really fill their needs at all. It amounts to "greed". The consumer wanting something very good for very little. Wanting something very good without paying the full rate of what it takes to do that. My advice (and this is what I intend to do because I also have an interest in adding a scope to my hunting handgun this season): Pay the big bucks instead of wasting money trying to do it on the cheap.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:55 AM   #9
NoSecondBest

Quote:
I've had a number of "World Class" Tasco scopes during my trials to find an acceptable scope for rimfire competition shooting. And the results were not so great. In one case the adjustable range was only half of what would be expected. An obvious defect. In other cases the optics were poor. Sort of a milky image in sunlight. For me it was far better to spend more money on other higher priced brands to get the desired results. Nothing "World Class" about the Tascos I've tried. However-one exception: I had a Silver Antler or Golden Antler scope on a hunting rifle that did work well. Nothing really "World Class" about it. It was just plain ordinary and did the job.
My view is that the words "World Class" are just printed on the box as a marketing strategy to trick unsuspecting buyers into giving up their money in exchange for a product that may not really fill their needs at all. It amounts to "greed". The consumer wanting something very good for very little. Wanting something very good without paying the full rate of what it takes to do that. My advice (and this is what I intend to do because I also have an interest in adding a scope to my hunting handgun this season): Pay the big bucks instead of wasting money trying to do it on the cheap.
The best advice you're going to get on this subject. Really.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:18 AM   #10
44flattop

IMHO, if you've never used the World Class pistol scopes, you have nothing of value to offer. They are infinitely better than most of their WC riflescopes and the included steel rings are also very good. Most Tasco is junk but the pistol scopes in question are not. FYI, this only applies to the 30mm Pro Class scopes.

However, for a .44Mag and above, only a Burris or Leupold 2x or UltraDot will do.
Old March 5, 2014, 10:39 AM   #11
buck460XVR

FME.....half the folks I know that put a scope on their revolvers took them off and went back to irons. If the OP has a free scope and rings to try, I see no advantage to not to. If the "free" scope fails, he decides he needs something better or decides he doesn't like scopes at all on his handgun, he is out nothing but a little time and a little ammo. If one is going to shoot competition, then one should know that an entry level scope is not going to cut it. For the average deer hunter than shoots less than a box of ammo thru his gun a year, at ranges of 100 yards or less, an entry level scope is probably all he needs.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:31 AM   #12
Backwoodsboy

Thank you everybody for the replies, As I stated in my original post the scope was given to me by a coworker. I have come to the same conclusion as most of you. I will hold onto the scope until I have gotten more acquainted with my firearm. I will also keep looking for a better replacement when the time comes and it shows me that it is in fact, just a Tasco. Thanks again.
Old March 5, 2014, 04:18 PM   #13
SteelChickenShooter

There can be a disadvantage to trying it: it could cost the buck of a lifetime or ruin an otherwise well planned hunting trip. Even the guy that says the Tasco WC pistol scope is better than the Tasco WC rifle scope clearly says he'd use a different brand on the OP's handgun. Try it out at the range for 5 or 6 or 10 shots or so and see if it holds before using it in the field.
Old March 5, 2014, 05:20 PM   #14
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelChickenShooter:

Try it out at the range for 5 or 6 or 10 shots or so and see if it holds before using it in the field.
Even with a Leopold or any other upper end scope, I know no responsible hunter, even with a rifle, that would take a gun out deer hunting after mounting a scope and firing less than 5-6 shots to make sure it was sighted in and secured. On high recoiling revolvers, many times getting the rings to hold are a bigger problem than the scope loosing zero. Anyone that hunts deer with a handgun after only practicing with ten rounds or less is got bigger problems than the cheap scope mounted on it. Anyone that misses the buck of a lifetime when only shooting 5-6 rounds from a handgun after mounting a scope on it probably can blame himself and not the scope.
Old March 5, 2014, 05:46 PM   #15
wild willy

It was given to you might as well use it.Don't expect much then you won't be dissappointed.I had a Tasco World Class pistol scope back when they were supposed to be good.It wasn't
Old March 5, 2014, 06:00 PM   #16
44flattop

Quote:
Even with a Leopold or any other upper end scope, I know no responsible hunter, even with a rifle, that would take a gun out deer hunting after mounting a scope and firing less than 5-6 shots to make sure it was sighted in and secured. On high recoiling revolvers, many times getting the rings to hold are a bigger problem than the scope loosing zero. Anyone that hunts deer with a handgun after only practicing with ten rounds or less is got bigger problems than the cheap scope mounted on it. Anyone that misses the buck of a lifetime when only shooting 5-6 rounds from a handgun after mounting a scope on it probably can blame himself and not the scope.
Agreed.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:21 AM   #17
jmr40

Back in the 80's-90's the Tasco World Class scopes were known as good scopes. Those were made in Japan. Newer World Class scopes are Chinese made and not nearly the quality. If it is a Japanese made scope I'd use it in confidence. Chinese made, and I'd probably look for something else.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:24 AM   #18
pete2

I bought one back in 1994 for a Redhawk, worked fine, my nephew is still using it. The big difference I saw is that it isn't as bright as a Redfield or Leupold. It was a Jap scope not Chinese.
Old March 6, 2014, 02:20 PM   #19
NoSecondBest

My first World Class scope was used on a custom built 22lr that I used for shooting Sportsman's Team Challenge. It had a lifetime warranty. The scope had an adjustable objective and was 4x12 power. When turning the objective lens to use the gun at 50 yds and then turning it again to use it at 100yds it shifted the POI four inches from left to right. I called Tasco and they said that if I returned the scope along with $39 they'd fix it. I asked why they wouldn't fix it under warranty, it was a new scope? They said the warranty didn't cover that. I took it off and tossed it in the garbage where it belonged and bought a Bosch&Lomb 4x16 4000 series scope. It didn't move at all when adjusting the parallax. A friend of mine put one on his 25-06 to use for deer hunting. Right out of the box every time he shot the cross hairs would rotate with every shot. I've seen dozens of these Japanese scopes fail. That's why Tasco went bankrupt in the early 2000s. They flooded the market with junk scopes and then filed for bankruptcy.
Old March 6, 2014, 07:58 PM   #20
SteelChickenShooter

Some of these people like to quote then fuss or argue. My point (that escapes some) is just this: You zero a handgun scope, then fire off 5 or 6 or 10 shots. Then, if it holds without losing zero, it's probably good enough for that next shot while hunting. If it fails, then you know it right then and there. I've done that, and it was obvious. Suddenly you know it's wrong and quit. Other times you know it's right and don't need to continue. For those that do not think 5 or 6 or 10 shots are good enough to see if a scope holds zero, then I might agree and suggest they take 6 or 7 or 11 shots. How many do you take to indicate worthiness?
I've taken one shot, adjusted, taken a second shot, adjusted and then really never needed to take a third shot but did anyway and it proved to be correct. And I've seen the opposite as well. Nothing lined up, shots were all over, no proper adjustment resulted in the next shot being right.
This topic is really about Tasco handgun scopes. And there are some pretty good posts about that. We've read some good and bad about Tasco, so I hope the OP goes ahead and does some trial regarding his. I hope he does. And I look forward to reading some feedback on how his handgun scope worked out. If 5 or 6 or 10 or 6 or 7 or 11 shots don't provide any results, maybe 20 or 25 or 50 will do it.
Old March 9, 2014, 09:27 AM   #21
wizrd

I guess I've been lucky with my Tasco stuff. A Pro-Class 1 1/2 - 4x on a .357 Max. Contender barrel - and a Tasco Pro-Point on a .44 Mag. 10" Contender barrel. Both have been on there since the early '90's. Literally thousands of rounds thru both of them. This last fall - went to a range with a buddy to sight in his rifle - new Rem. 700 in 7mm-08 - not only did they outshoot his rifle - he tried my Contenders for the first time & HE outshot his rifle with my Contenders.
Mine have held up well - maybe I'm just lucky.