The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 16, 2013, 07:50 PM   #26
Kevin_d77

It is a 90's Sig. How could I tell if its Nitron?

Yea, I was pretty ****** and the wear was after the sights were installed. He used a pusher on it at first but I left the shop and came back and it was done. Noticed the wear after. Mentioned it to him, he looked at it and was like "well what do you want to do?" I couldn't really prove that he did something to it. I have since become much more careful about who I deal with.

I just hope it's not ruined. I was hoping to send it to Sig and get their opinion.
Old June 16, 2013, 07:51 PM   #27
Kevin_d77

I can take more pics to help identify the problems if need be.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:00 PM   #28
Kevin_d77

Personally, I think he was having a hard time putting them in and might have slightly bent the front part of the slide but you can't tell just from looking at it.

Wonder how much a new slide would cost?
Old June 16, 2013, 08:00 PM   #29
WVsig

If it is a 90s Sig it is not nitron it is blued but the same issue applies. Check out this link...

http://grayguns.com/guide-to-sig-sau...ol-inspection/

IMHO you are at stage 6 but it is hard to tell from the pic.

Shiny Silver – This is where you need to start to worry. The pigment in the anodizing is worn through, your frame is still protected, but you need to monitor your frame rails very closely and make sure they remain greased thoroughly for the rest of your gun’s life.

You need to lube the pistol like this:

http://www.apextactical.com/blog/ind...-pistol-rails/

The new slide will help but a lot of damage is already done. Again the visible wear is in the slide channel which is better than if the wear is on the underside of the rail. Is there any wear present on the underside of the rails. That is where the wear issues create real problems.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:03 PM   #30
Kevin_d77

Stage 6? Wow. I guess that's where part of me wants to send it in to see what they say.

Should I even put any more money into it?
Old June 16, 2013, 08:05 PM   #31
WVsig

Is the wear mark shinny silver? Again in that channel wear is not a detrimental as it would be on the underside or on the rails itself.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:10 PM   #32
Kevin_d77

It doesn't quite looks silver yet. And there isn't a visible gouging. It has to be right at the edge of the slide because the wear stops right where the slide does once it is full locked back
Old June 16, 2013, 08:16 PM   #33
Kevin_d77

There is no visible wear on the slide rails either.

Old June 16, 2013, 08:18 PM   #34
WVsig

Without the flash it looks more like stage 3 to 4... it should be ok as long as you properly lube the gun. I would still be ******.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:20 PM   #35
Kevin_d77

Do you think is should send it to Sig to do the Sig Service Plan where they replace springs, check all crucial parts and install the Sig night sights?

I was planning on having them do that along with the other work.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:23 PM   #36
Kevin_d77

You can kinda see a mark near the front of the slide where it looks like he used too much pressure

Old June 16, 2013, 08:33 PM   #37
WVsig

Do you have a set of calipers? If you do check the width of the slide. I think he
compromised it and I would send it to Sig and demand my money back from them other shop and if any work needs to be done to correct his errors he needs to pay.

Last edited by WVsig; June 16, 2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:35 PM   #38
Kevin_d77

I didn't pay a dime for that "installation".

I think I will send it into Sig for the Sig Service Plan and see what they tell me. Maybe not call attention to it and see what they say initially? Not sure how to handle this. It's been bugging me for several months now.

http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomShop/SSP.aspx

What do you think?

Thanks for your help too! I appreciate it.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:39 PM   #39
WVsig

Did you pay for the sights? If you did get a refund for those... Send it in and tell them to check the slide.
Old June 16, 2013, 08:41 PM   #40
Kevin_d77

I wonder how much a new slide would cost?
Old June 16, 2013, 09:23 PM   #41
WVsig

Quote:
I wonder how much a new slide would cost?
The issue is that they do not make many carbon steel slides anymore. So you would get a stainless steel slide. This would greatly cut the value of the pistol. I would see if Sig can correct it and then refinish it.
Old June 16, 2013, 09:25 PM   #42
Kevin_d77

Ahhhh, I see. Thank you for taking the time to explain it to me. I just hope it's not an expensive fix. I only paid $500 for it initially.
Old June 16, 2013, 10:53 PM   #43
TunnelRat

Correct me if I'm wrong but what exactly is the SIG service plan going to do? If you legitimately think your slide is bent you need to tell them. Otherwise all they will do is replace springs and other wear items and call it a day. If your frame has been damaged due to a bent slide nothing in that plan will cover the damage, ditto for the slide. With as busy as SIG is if you think you have a specific issue you need to tell them when it is sent in, not pray that they might find it.

I have a hard time telling from the pictures. Is the issue that there is only wear inside one slide rail? Was it there before? If not can you visibly see some sign of the slide being bent? I ask because I am still having a hard time imagining a situation where he bent the slide in replacing the sights. Even if he clamped the sides of the slide in a vise the pressure should have been distributed along the length of the slide. You say the slide catches, but how and at what point? If you can map the point where it catches to a point on the slide examine that area and take pics.

All you have shown me so far is a slide rail that looks rather worn, which lube can help mitigate to an extent, and some marring of the finish around the dovertails for the sights. Let's take a minute and do some critical thinking before sending it in and putting more money into it, especially if all you have is $500 in it. You would have to decide if refinishing it is worth it to you. Is it a collector or a shooter? Again I think more info is needed.
Maintain situational awareness
Old June 16, 2013, 11:05 PM   #44
Kevin_d77

Yes only wear on inside of one slide rail. Visibly you can't tell (well I can't) if the slide is bent. No the damage as wasn't there before. What I meant by the slide catching is that it is slightly harder to rack now. That's when I noticed the damage to the rail.

The reason I was assuming he bent the slide is that the mark on top of the slide

Basically coincides where the damage to the frame rail starts. If I had to guess it seems as though it is only a small portion bent in and that is causing the slide to scrape the rail and damage the finish. I just dont want to make things worse or fire an unsafe weapon.

And it's a shooter, not a collector. But at the same time, I like nice things (who doesn't though)
Old June 16, 2013, 11:17 PM   #45
TunnelRat

Yes but drawing a correlation between some mark on the top of the slide that could easily be the result of something simple, as we can see the smith didn't do a great job at installing the sights, and the damage to the rails is tricky. That damage to the rails would have to come from the sides of the slide being bent inward (hence WVsig suggesting checking with calipers to see if the width of the slide is changing at one point, which is still a very good piece of advice). In that case I'm not sure the mark on the top is connected, and if so how? It could very well be connected, just be careful of drawing faulty conclusions.

Is the slide harder to rack through the entire length of the pull? The rails on a SIG run the full length of the slide. If the sides of the slide (say that ten times fast) were bent inward, I would think the pull would be hard the whole way though. Did you also check the inside of that side of the slide coinciding with that slide rail to see if there are any marks there as well?

My first priority would be reaming the hell out of the smith that did the work. If you do end up paying for this you want to get something back from that shop. If you do send it in to SIG do what I said and make them aware of your concerns ahead of time and in the work order. Don't just assume they'll check it.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:01 AM   #46
Kevin_d77

I get what you're saying. Guess its pretty hard to diagnose over the internet using cell phone pictures

Thanks for the help!
Old June 17, 2013, 08:54 AM   #47
kcub

You should definitely tell them they did it. Otherwise if you don't they'll assume you or some jackass gunsmith wannabe did it.
Old June 17, 2013, 09:04 AM   #48
Kevin_d77

Agreed. Well some jackass wannabe gunsmith shop owner did do it.

If anyone lives in the Tampa area and is looking for work done, PM me and I will tell you where NOT to go!
Old June 18, 2013, 09:06 PM   #49
Kevin_d77

So I went to the range today and brought the Sig with me to run some rounds through it and have the smith check it out. Ran fine. I miss shooting it. The wear didn't increase noticeably after putting a hundred rounds through it so that's a good thing.

Had the smith (who I'm building a relationship with and I trust him so far) take a look at it. He is a Sig certified Armorer for whatever that's worth. He inspected it, stripped it down and gave it a once over. He was shocked to see the damage and determined that there is a small piece at the very front of the slide that is slightly bent in. He doesn't think that it is crucial though and it has not gouged the frame yet. Looks to be a slight bend. Told me he didn't think it should concern me. I bought this used from a relative who bought it off of a former employee. The smith said it looks like it was hardly fired at all. Thought the stiffness in the slide might actually be due to the springs not be being fully broken in. Told me not to worry about it and keep it lubed.

The sights however are bent to cr@p and after cleaning it tonight when I got home, the front sight slid right off. So darn aggravated right now. Think I am going to buy some new Trijicons, have him (the new smith - edited for clarity) install them and just run the gun for a while.

Decided not to send it to Sig. I mean, I haven't really shot it much in the last 6-8 months and after firing it, think I am just going to enjoy it for a while and save my money. Thing runs nice!

While there though, the Sig bug bit me again. Think I picked out my next purchase.....a P229 in 9mm. Thing felt great in my hand. And I think I want the Scorpion version. Say what you will but I really like that style for some reason. So I will save the $400+/- I was going to spend at the Sig custom shop and just end up buying one of those when I find a good deal.

Anywho, thanks for all the help fellas. Your knowledge is always appreciated!

Last edited by Kevin_d77; June 18, 2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old June 18, 2013, 09:10 PM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
The sights however are bent to cr@p and after cleaning it tonight when I got home, the front sight slid right off. So darn aggravated right now. Think I am going to buy some new Trijicons, have him install them and just run the gun for a while.
You would pay to have work done again by someone who royally screwed up the first time and basically owes you a set of night sights? That's madness.