The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 22, 2012, 06:25 AM   #1
jd3020

bushnell banner 6-18x50

Hey guys i picked one of these bushnell banner scopes up about 4 years ago when i first started hunting and mounted it on my ruger hawkeye 270. Had great visibility and every thing was great and then last year hunting seemed like at 6 power was just as zoomed in as 18 power. So i replaced it and bought a nikon. Now a couple of weeks ago i wanted to out fit my other m77 mk II with a scope and my dpms 308 with a scope so i was off to wally world to see what they had. i ended up coming home with 2 of these bushnells becuase to be honest i hadnt had a big problem with them. In the mean time i mounted the older banner on my dads savage 308. So yesterday im at my range and i had bore sighted every thing before taking it to the range. My dads savage i couldnt even get on a 4x8 sheet of plywood. If i aimed at the top right corner i think it might of hit in the lower center of the board but im not 100% sure. after a box of shells i quit wasting the ammo and moved on to my 308. Now this scope was brand new a couple weeks ago and it sighted in with in a half a box. So i moved on to the 270 which also had the other brand new scope from a couple weeks ago. i was 10" low at 100 yard so i did the approiate clicks to move it up and no where to be found on paper. Is it just me or is the scope really messed up? i have been trying to find a contact for bushnell but their website is down so i cant get any info. And i know the answers from you guys is well you get what you pay for. But really i have had 3-9x40s on my 22 and 17s with no issure in 20 years.

"If guns kill people then i can blame mis-spelled words on my pencil"
Old October 22, 2012, 07:36 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If you google Bushnell Optics Contact, you get:

Bushnell - Service & Support
www.bushnell.com/.../customer-service
Contact Us. 1-800-423-3537. We'd like to hear from you. Send our corporate headquarters a comment.
Old October 22, 2012, 05:54 PM   #3
sc928porsche

Sounds as though you scope was not properly bore sighted on either rifle. To save ammo and frustration, once you are sure that scope mounts are tight, the rings are properly tightened and bore sighted, then fire at target set to 25 yds. This should put you on paper. If it dosnt.......and sometimes that is the case.......then you will have to shim. Once you are close to center on black, then fine tune to the yardage you desire. BTW sometimes the mounts have a front and rear placement. If they are mounted opposite, It will give the indication that it needs to be shimmed.
Old October 22, 2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Sounds as though you scope was not properly bore sighted on either rifle. To save ammo and frustration, once you are sure that scope mounts are tight, the rings are properly tightened and bore sighted, then fire at target set to 25 yds. This should put you on paper. If it dosnt.......and sometimes that is the case.......then you will have to shim. Once you are close to center on black, then fine tune to the yardage you desire. BTW sometimes the mounts have a front and rear placement. If they are mounted opposite, It will give the indication that it
+1. Sounds like sound advice to me.