The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 16, 2012, 02:14 PM   #1
Erikbal

how many of you ankle carry?

Just wondering if there is still anyone out there that carries on the ankle these days. Myself personally would only do it as a back up gun. Right now my only pistol is a BG380 and I pocket carry that until I can get an iwb holster down the road but I was thinking that eventually once I get something bigger that the bg or maybe some sort of snub nose small revolver may come in handy to ankle carry as a back up weapon. I would never ankle carry as my primary gun though...
Old February 16, 2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Straightshooter629

I will ankle carry about 1/4 of the time mostly during the summer when I wear just a t-shirt or times when I want to wear a shirt tucked in. For me, ankle carry is a viable mode of carry and I have no reservations about it but as with anything, it takes practice to become profecient at it. OBTW, my daily carry weapon is a Rossi 462 (6 shot 357 snubbie).
Old February 16, 2012, 08:47 PM   #3
TriumphGuy

Tried it. From my experiences, if a gun's comfortable for ankle carry, it's small enough for pocket carry.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:53 PM   #4
Webleymkv

I do it once in a great while when wearing dress slacks that aren't particularly conducive to pocket carry due to the way the pockets are gun. The only gun that I ankle carry is a Walther PP .32 Auto because it's the only gun I have an ankle holster for. If I had an ankle holster for it, I'd probably carry my S&W M36 instead when ankle carry is appropriate. As it stands, however, ankle carry is infrequent enough (once or twice a year) that I can't really justify spending the money to get a good ankle holster for my S&W.
Old February 16, 2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Carry_24/7

I could never get used to it, I gave up on it years ago.".
Old February 17, 2012, 01:18 AM   #6
9mm

Will start next winter/fall/maybe summer with dress pants, when ccw is here. It's where the backup gun should go.
Old February 17, 2012, 01:36 AM   #7
kinggabby

I could not seeing how 90% of the time I wear shorts and the other 10% pajamas.
Old February 17, 2012, 04:04 AM   #8
Unistat76

I used to carry a S&W 442 on my ankle in a Bianchi Triad holster. It took a little while for the holster to break in (or for me to get used to it, not sure which was which.) I don't have it any more, but it was donated to a good cause, my father's first carry gun!

It was a BUG and if I carried it for my primary, I moved it to the pocket. The 442 is certainly small enough for pocket carry, but usually my pockets were full other stuff.

One small advantage ankle carry has is that it is easier to draw while seated, especially in a car. I will replace it someday.
Old February 17, 2012, 11:48 AM   #9
TacticalDefense1911

I will alot of times when the majority of my time will be spent driving in a car. Its easier to get at on my ankle then IWB with my seat belt buckled. Not my favorite choice otherwise but I find it a great option when you are out and about shopping and having to bend over alot...no need to worry about printing then while bent over. Also will carry a BUG on my ankle when carrying a larger primary.
Old February 17, 2012, 07:32 PM   #10
WC145

I'm a LEO and a respiratory therapist. I work in a hospital several days a week and wear a S&W snubby in an ankle holster when in scrubs as they really don't allow for any other sort of carry. With a bit of practice an ankle holster is not so difficult or slow to draw from and allows for discreet carry when nothing else will work.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old February 18, 2012, 02:27 AM   #11
obxned

Not me. It doesn't work very well with shots and flip-flops.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old February 18, 2012, 12:27 PM   #12
scottycoyote

i ankle carry if im really dressed up or just dont feel like i can pull off carrying iwb, etc. Normally when i ankle carry i pocket carry something small too, i just want a gun with more capacity nearby (my ankle).
Old February 18, 2012, 04:37 PM   #13
chewie146

I have in the past and do during the summer, but I prefer an IWB or pocket carry to ankle carry. In the winter, I easily get away with a leather OWB. The pocket holster is only used for a J-frame.
Old February 18, 2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Fargazer

I will occasionally ankle carry; I use a Kramer horsehide ankle holster with a Ruger LCR .357. When I do, it is typically a BUG to a 9mm Walther PPS, P99, or P99c (yes, I like Walther).

A good holster makes a vast difference on ankle carry. What I did was to first get an inexpensive nylon ankle holster, and carry an unloaded pistol in it for a week. Only once I decided the weight would not bother me did I start spending significant cash; I purchased first a DeSantis (OK, but had to be adjusted a bit over time while wearing it), then moved to the Kramer (great fit).

If you are going to consider ankle carry, try the inexpensive holster first, to see if you can tolerate the weight. If so, I'd recommend a holster from either Kramer or Alessi.
Old February 19, 2012, 01:09 AM   #15
Steve in PA

I ankle carry, mainly in the summer because I tuck my t-shirts in, and I don't want my OWB holster exposed.

During the winter I ankle carry a 642, which I use as a BUG to my Glock 26. In fact, when my wife and I went out to eat last night, this was exactly what I was carrying.

I have ankle carried the G-26 in both summer and winter. I wear 5.11 canvas pants in various colors which have enough leg room at the ankles to conceal the holsters without any problems.
Old February 19, 2012, 08:06 AM   #16
Guybo

I never have ankle carried but i've been seriously considering it but only as a backup.
Old February 19, 2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Erikbal

Yeah I'm considering it as a back up as well for my BG once I get something bigger. Thanks for all of the replies guys, I love this place!
Old February 19, 2012, 04:18 PM   #18
Don P

Ankles are way to far away from my lunch grabbers. Ain't happening at my age and its like the old saying of dieing young and leaving a good lookin corpse is loooong gone by as is ankle carry.
P.S.- its now called kankle carry
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 19, 2012, 04:29 PM   #19
tnhawk

I've been looking for a holster to ankle carry a 442 or G27, as IWB is difficult while driving.
Old February 19, 2012, 05:11 PM   #20
Flaman

I really want to like ankle carry, but I just can't get used to it. Pocket carry suits me better
Old February 19, 2012, 09:17 PM   #21
Tommy Vercetti

when I was a cab driver I carried my Smith & Wesson .38 in an ankle holster
Old February 20, 2012, 09:14 PM   #22
Mr.Bluster

Got the concealed carry license but not the proper weapon. Thinking a Ruger LCR or a S&W 638. But when I do, it will be ankle for the simple reason that the waistband is well spoken for, if you know what I mean. (And I think you do!)
Old February 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Frizzman

I've used an ankle holster since the 1970's when I started as a LEO. It was always used for BUG and sometimes for primary carry if needed. I still do this most of the time when I wear other than shorts. I like it because its easier to get to sitting down, particularly when in the car. Its easy to lean forward just a bit and/or just move your foot back and slip it out when there may be a need for it. This avoids the giveaway of leaning forward and reaching behind to unholster a belt carried gun. Its very difficult to draw a pistol from the pocket while seated without standing or some wiggling around...I started out with a Charter Arms Undercover. These days I carry a S&W 337 with bobbed hammer and fiber optic front sight in a Galco ankle holster. The size and weight of the firearm are major considerations. I knew a guy years ago who carried a steel Government Model stuffed in the top of his sock and wrapped with rubber bands! That's a bit beyond my comfort level. I also prefer the J frame for this since its less sensitive to the position one must have the gun in to function...It's been useful to me for many years.
Old February 21, 2012, 01:10 PM   #24
TriumphGuy

Quote:
I knew a guy years ago who carried a steel Government Model stuffed in the top of his sock and wrapped with rubber bands!
I suppose it's a step better than Dirty Harry with his switchblade scotch taped to his calf.
Old February 21, 2012, 09:05 PM   #25
PT-92

I could be wrong and perhaps I will be able to locate some data to back up my thought, but might it be that the explosion of so many 'pocket-guns' available has resulted in the ankle-holster going the way of the VCR so to speak. For example, my main CCW piece is a Kel-Tec P11 and my BUG is a Beretta 21A either of which can be pocket carried easier than if it were concealed in an ankle holster (for me). However, if I worked in a suit or some attire negating pocket-carry, I would certainly consider the ankle-holster option so perhaps there will always be that 'potentiality.'.

-Cheers