The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 25, 2011, 04:15 AM   #1
Dan31

Since it passed here in WA [Silencer bill]

I am wondering if I had an AR15 with the shortest legal barrel [16"?] could I have it shortened and add a silencer permanently attached to make the overall barrel length back to 16"? Would it be legal?
I figure a silenced compact AR would be perfect as a home defense weapon.
Old May 25, 2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Geezerbiker

I wouldn't. Suppressors need to be removed and cleaned and permanently attaching it would make that a pain...

Tony
Old May 25, 2011, 10:55 AM   #3
Willie Lowman

Very few people clean centerfire rifle cans. Most are welded shut and all you could do to clean them would be soak them in some solvents.

However most folks clean their rifle barrels. If you were to loose a cleaning patch (or worse yet a jag) in a perm attached can there would be problems.

Best bet is to get a SBR and put your can on it.

If you can't get SBR in your state, get a 14.5" upper with a perm attached mount like the AAC Blackout. That will give you your 16" and the smallest available can will put you around 19"

I am not gonna touch the "using suppressors for HD" thing. We've had that argument here before.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:12 PM   #4
RAnb

I own an AR and make silencers as a hobby. What you suggest is legal. I would not do it though. I would rather be able to attach the silencer to other rifles too. Cleaning the silencer will probably not be a problem, my AR can is sealed and works just fine. The only problem may be the barrel crown, it will get very dirty after a while especially if you can not clean it.

If you need something in 223 and very compact, then get an AR pistol and put a detactable can on it. Not as good as a real carbine or SBR in a defense situation, but it is an option.

Ranb
Old May 26, 2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Dan31

TY
Old May 29, 2011, 11:51 PM   #6
hknut

Now there are some suppressors that can be disassebled form the projectile end. So wouldn't that be an option?

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old May 30, 2011, 10:51 AM   #7
Willie Lowman

Tac-Sol offers .22 barrels that are 12.5" with a 4" perm attached shroud that a suppressor can fit into.

I can't see why the same thing couldn't be done on a .223 barrel.

Here is a pic I borrowed from another site. you can see the suppressor shroud sticking out of the handguard and the can inside.