The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2010, 01:07 AM   #1
cstainsby

Under/Over Hunting Shotgun

Hi All,

I am looking to buy my first shotgun that will be primarily used for pig hunting. Due to laws in oz I am limited to U/O and side x side shotguns (pumps/semi autos are basically banned). I was thinking of a 12gauge but i'm looking for input into brands, chokes to use, rifled or smooth bore etc.

Thanks
Old February 4, 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
lambertsteeth

I haven't done any pig hunting. I do shoot alot of shotgun. A quality o/u will be far more expensive than a sxs. I picture a pig hunting gun as a gun which may get it's share of nicks and dings?
Old February 4, 2010, 10:11 PM   #3
oneounceload

Oz? Talking about the land of my favorite shiraz from Yellowtail in Austrailia?

Personally, I would opt for an O/U as it would be more like a rifle as opposed to a SxS, and , IMO, a comparable O/U quality-wise will be half a SxS
Old February 5, 2010, 06:49 AM   #4
bswiv

I actually hog hunt ( Passed up a sow with 2 very little pigs last night. ) with a 20 ga SXS with RIFFLED barrels.

We have some of the same rstrictions where we hunt in that duing much of the season on the WMAs we can not use rifles.

While I really like mine here is what I would suggest as a PERFECT hog shotgun.

A SXS with one rifled 20 ga barrel and one 12 ga barrel. Needs to be short, 20 inch barrels at most. Red Dot sight, because the 20 ga with sabots will reach out to 150 easy.

The 12 ga barrel needs to be 3 inch chamber, no need for the 3 1/2!, and have interchangable chokes.

With that set up you are good in all situations.

Of course I just described a variation on a Cape Gun, something the British and Germans figured out the value of a long time ago.
Old February 5, 2010, 07:29 AM   #5
To3T@g

yeah i agree that both o/u and SxS shotguns of any name brand are going to be expensive,but u can get very good non name brand models in both models! have u ever heard of a turkish company called Yildis? Academy sports has them exclusively and they are great guns at a great price! i got my SxS for just over 400$ with tax and there O/U's are the same price. they come with 3or4 different chokes in the box and are light wait with beautifull turkish wallnut stocks. for that price u can afford to get a nick or ding in them and not feel bad. My ruger red lable o/u that my dad bought me befor i was born was 400$ or so when he bought it,but now there 1200$ or more. these yildis guns are good quality and lighter than any other name brand shotgun ive ever held. check em out!
Old February 5, 2010, 01:53 PM   #6
bamaranger

stoeger

Stoeger had an over/under line (was it called Eagle? or Condor) that some guys I know have bought as utility shotguns, as well as starter guns for kids. Single sighting plane, two shots, lighter than other repeaters, etc. Two of those guns were shot quite a bit as a starter trap guns for youngsters, with some minor stock mods. They were purchased through Dicks Sporting Goods, a chain here in the states.

My Russian SXS is not well regulated and does not shoot to point of aim at bird distance.
I would have the same concern on any budget o/u as well.

I've thought about a double as a lightweight turkey gun, and considered the budget o/u route, but have not committed.
Old February 8, 2010, 01:07 AM   #7
cstainsby

A local gun shop has a SxS deal going that sounds pretty good. Its a Boito 20in with a synthetic stock so scratches wont matter to much. It has a built in picatinny rail so fitting a red dot should be easy. Anyone own a Boito? How do they stand up to other brands?
Old February 8, 2010, 01:23 AM   #8
mxsailor803

i have a old stevens model 311 sxs in 16ga that i'll occationally use for deer and quail hunting. if you could find one in 12ga that would be great if you like the sxs feel and you can still get them VERY reasonably by todays standard (they sold for new in 1970's for like $100, used around $250-$400 depending on condition)